Any Green Tea Drinkers in the house?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I love Green Tea and wondered if others here like it or dis-like it. I have noticed an effect it has once you drink about three cups of it consecutively. After 30 mins or so such a calm state comes over you. I did some research and it turns out L-Theanine is to credit for this feeling of well-being and calm. I recently went to my health food store and bought capsule form of L-Theanine at a 200 mg level per capsule. I take one in the evening and let me tell you if you are not familiar with the effects of Green Tea or L-Theanine you must check into it. I have some links for you to read:

First a general link about tea:

Benefits of Tea

and more interesting is the link over L-Theanine:

Effects of L-Theanine

Check into L-Theanine and you will find it to be an amazing discovery.

Your thoughts?

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I don't like most tea, although if it has cinammon I might like a little. I like chai quite a bit, mainly because it actually has flavor. All other tea just tastes like dirty, hot water to me (especially green tea). No offense, I just prefer something more flavorful like coffee or cocoa.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I don't like most tea, although if it has cinammon I might like a little. I like chai quite a bit, mainly because it actually has flavor. All other tea just tastes like dirty, hot water to me (especially green tea). No offense, I just prefer something more flavorful like coffee or cocoa.

Green tea is not for everyone. It took me a little while to aquire the taste for it. Now that I have I really love the stuff. I actually love the way it tastes now. I have been drinking it for around 5 years now and I prefer it over colas even though in the old days I prefered colas. I know it is strange how things play out at times. My dad had awful sinus problems and several years back I was on his case to stop drinking cokes as he drank cokes on a regular basis and he actually listened to me and switched to teas. Black tea and green tea. He not only completely recovered from sinus problems which were made worse by the sugar in cokes but he never felt better. He drank tea or water after that change he took me up on. I hope many who don't currently have a tea drinking habit take one on. You will realize the benefits later.

Fellows
  • Reply 3 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, I drink a lot of water. Not hot water with old leaves in it but water anyway. Which is better than soda I'm sure. I don't really like soda, or junk food in general... I mean there's a reason it's called "junk" food.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Who needs tea when you have the Bull?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    ariari Posts: 126member
    The other week I was invited to a traditional Japanese tea ceremony at Mount Holyoke College and, of course, drank some traditional Japanese green tea. I have had green tea before, but this was nothing like it. I agree completely when you say it isn't for everyone and is an acquired taste. Some had trouble restraining their grimaces upon first tasting the tea. The benefits though do provide a good incentive to drinking it. Or taking L-Theanine capsules.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I have drink wonderfull green tea with minth in morocco. Generally i don't like minth, but they have a special minth there. I enjoyed drinked these Tea during my trip there in Marrakech.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Yes, even Lipton has gotten it on the action. Just don't get caught in the trap of adding anything (other than water) to it. Once you get used to it its alright.

caffeinated AND good for you....

*runs to put kettle on*
  • Reply 8 of 16
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I drink green tea. Not a huge fan, but my parents always brew one cup for me everyday and I have to drink it.

My parents say green tea is supposed to improve your immunity system and digestion.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    never heard of green tea, is it made from the same or a similar plant? also, i found your (Fellowship's) description and recommendation of L-Theannine quite funny, because it read like many drug whisperings I've seen. which brings me to Salvia Divinorum, while i can't in good conscience recommend it for regular drinking without warning you, the Diviner's Sage makes a very good tea-like drink. I find it tastes very similar to tea, though some of my friends disagree. Salvia, in relatively small amounts, can have a wonderful effect on the mind and body. One should be cautioned before drinking too much salvia though, because it can also be a very strong hallucinogen. In lower amounts, especially when taken orally, salvia can ease headaches, promote regularity of the bowels, calm a person's anxious day, and clear one's mind; in higher amounts, the regular effects are still present, but visual and audible oddities can be found. Many people drink salvia to relax their body and soul before they meditate. I don't remember what the crossover amount is (between just a drink, and hallucinogenic experience) but I remember that orally its something like 10x as much as smoked.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I was given a box of Green Tea, but I haven't bothered to learn to like the taste yet. For one, although I've heard it's good for you I haven't really looked into it. Two, the tea is decaffeinated which makes me feel like it's going to be less green tea-y and more commercial (less useful.)

Anyone know the effects of decaffeinating on Green Tea?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Green tea is good, i drink it sometimes unsweetened ... instead of espresso, but I feel better with yerba mate than with tea. i don't understand why in US and UK they misspell it as yerba maté as mate definitelly does not have the accent on e. Mate is healthier than tea, the Indians in Argentina, Uruguay and South of Brazil used to drink that even for a couple of months a year when there was nothing to eat, and that provided them enough vitamines and minerals and saved them from starvation ... try it. They sell it in the bigger supermarkets.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I was given a box of Green Tea, but I haven't bothered to learn to like the taste yet. For one, although I've heard it's good for you I haven't really looked into it. Two, the tea is decaffeinated which makes me feel like it's going to be less green tea-y and more commercial (less useful.)

Anyone know the effects of decaffeinating on Green Tea?

my guess with the decaffeinating of the tea is it won't make it healthier but just more chemically altered. or healthier just in the sense of having less cafeine, but i guess better the original than the 'americanata' version of it.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    ah mate -- like drinking grass...

smells like grass, tastes much better...

still, being from the south i like my tea super sweet, so much so i feel diabetes coming on...

every once in a while i like green tea... but if i want something with flavor, i prefer earl grey with extra bergemont or black black black tea...

cant stand coffee though...

bruce
  • Reply 14 of 16
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I have drink wonderfull green tea with minth in morocco. Generally i don't like minth, but they have a special minth there. I enjoyed drinked these Tea during my trip there in Marrakech.

are you sure the "special" part of moroccan beverages wasn't from that other green plant?

spelled THC...
  • Reply 15 of 16
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Tea is good, Green tea is especially good.

I never have time to boil water and make tea however

Maybe i'll just take L-Theanine and pretend i drink green tea. . .Coffee is truly the nectar of life, no wait, Espresso is the nectar of life. . . mmmm, 12 hours till i get mine tomorow morning.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xionja

Tea is good, Green tea is especially good.

I never have time to boil water and make tea however

Maybe i'll just take L-Theanine and pretend i drink green tea. . .Coffee is truly the nectar of life, no wait, Espresso is the nectar of life. . . mmmm, 12 hours till i get mine tomorow morning.

*shudder*