M2 15-inch MacBook Air in mass production, says supply chain

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Reports based on industry sources claim that the forthcoming 15.5-inch MacBook Air entered production after the Lunar New Year, and will ship in 2Q23.

A larger mid-range MacBook is missing from Apple's current lineup
A larger mid-range MacBook is missing from Apple's current lineup

The report fits with display analyst Ross Young's claim that the New MacBook Air will arrive in spring 2023. His claim is based on sources reporting that the display panels for the larger MacBook Air began production earlier in February.

Digitimes has a strong record for industry sources but a very much poorer one for the conclusions and predictions it bases on them, and it appears that the publication based their report on Young's statement without credit. Also, the publication concentrated on how it believes Apple's shipments will be low in the first quarter, then boosted in the second by the new MacBook Air.

Rumors of a 15-inch -- or 15.5-inch -- MacBook Air have circulated since at least 2021.

The larger screen size has been the consistent element in all rumors, but opinions have varied over what processor the device will have. Some claim that an as-yet unannounced M3 will be used, based on how TSMC has begun production of a new 3-nanometer chip.

However, if the device does ship in April or at any other point in the second quarter, it is going to have Apple's M2.

Previously, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said it would ship in late 2023, and be renamed from MacBook Air to just MacBook.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Was hoping for a MacBook or MacBook Studio with single fan, M2 and M2 Pro option, completely replacing M2 MBP 13”
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    d_2d_2 Posts: 117member
    Was hoping for a MacBook or MacBook Studio with single fan, M2 and M2 Pro option, completely replacing M2 MBP 13”
    Exactly - a 15” MacBook Studio with those CPU options and an SD card reader - $1499+ up
    SOLD!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    M2? Weird. Would have thought this would be the perfect m3 launch vehicle. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Might still happen. But if the M3 offers more of a jump over the M2 than the M2 did over the M1, it would be weird if a consumer-oriented M3 MBA was faster than the just released M2 MBPs, at least the base models. 
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    M1 had 19 month span to before replaced by the M2 
    M2 is currently only 8month in so I'd expect another 10 months and at these one more chip version in the M2 family before the M3 
    Plenty of room to push out an updated Studio, Extra MacBook, mixedReality headset and the MacPro all the M2 family.

Even with M2 still very interested in the 15 inch option vs MacBook Pro 14. 
    StrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamAlex1NCalamander
  • Reply 6 of 11
    M2 isn’t even a year old, no way would it be an M3. It hasn’t rolled out across the line up yet as is. 
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 129member
    Maybe it’ll be an M1 so as not to erode M2-device sales. Just kidding - I’m very interested in this rumoured device but my interest could be tempered by the actual specs of such a device. I’m a bit suspicious. I was weighing up between 13” MBA and 14” MBP until this new purchase-stalling rumour popped up. It may still turn out to be vapour-ware (again). I don’t know how much longer that I can struggle on with this loathsome (Gen 6j) ipad, though. I am so over touch screens and booby-trap ‘gestures’.
    mattinoz
  • Reply 8 of 11
    charlesn said:
    Might still happen. But if the M3 offers more of a jump over the M2 than the M2 did over the M1, it would be weird if a consumer-oriented M3 MBA was faster than the just released M2 MBPs, at least the base models. 
    I hear you. My thinking was that this would get announced in October with m3 and Mac Pro would launch early 2024 with m3 extreme or a desktop specific variant. Launching it right now would just feel like one too many products. If they launch it with brand new m3, it has much more impact and momentum. As the 13.6 air is still somewhat new, a 15” version or 15 just “MacBook” would seemingly be better suited for a statement making launch. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Apple is really missing Jony Ive. The Mac Studio was an affront to design - a monstrous carbuncle that never should have been released. A 15" MacBook Air would be further offence to design sensibilities. Bring back the 11" MBA and make it a new design achievement. 15" just panders the American instinct for always bigger. Bigger is blander. Small is neat. 

And instead of the M3, let it be the N1.
    edited February 2023
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Been waiting for this. 

I don't like the 13" screen space on the M1 MBA, and I don't like the massive bulk and energy use of the 16"MBP.

I have both devices, and neither is perfect, though I am mostly on the 16" these days. 

The 16 has a bunch of things I never need
    - Crazy graphics cores - never once used.
    - XDR display which is huge and gets hot - I'd rather have a normal LCD which is small and thin and doesn't eat up all my battery for no reason. My eyes aren't good enough to tell the difference anyway (sadly). 

In addition, mini LED hurts my eyes. It's not a good technology. They need to use OLED. 

So here's to hoping they scrap the fancy screen on the 15" MBA and make it thin and light and last forever on battery - if I can do 16GB of RAM on it, I am happy. Basically a MBA stretched to 15" is my perfect machine. Has everything I need and more, has nothing I don't need. 

• Reply 11 of 11
    timmillea said:
    Apple is really missing Jony Ive. The Mac Studio was an affront to design - a monstrous carbuncle that never should have been released. A 15" MacBook Air would be further offence to design sensibilities. Bring back the 11" MBA and make it a new design achievement. 15" just panders the American instinct for always bigger. Bigger is blander. Small is neat. 

And instead of the M3, let it be the N1.
    I want the 15 MBA for the screen size, but I agree that Apple needs to go back to designing slim and thin devices. 

The M2 MBA looks visually the same size as the MBP - so what's really "air" about it? Why have a super slim case when you're going to add massive feet that double its thickness?
    Many have measured it to be around the same atual size as the M1, but in terms of looks it's fat and looks just very large compared to the M1 MBA. 

Apple used to care about design.