iPhone 15 Pro USB-C port allegedly shown in photo

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2023
A known leaker with a limited but accurate history has shared what he claims is an "actual close-up" photo of the iPhone 15 Pro USB-C port.

iPhone 15 to have USB-C
iPhone 15 to have USB-C

The Twitter user known as @URedditor or Unknownz21 has shared an alleged image of the iPhone 15 Pro USB-C port. This would be the first real look at the device that isn't a render if true.

The photo is zoomed in to the point that only the USB-C port and a portion of the speaker grilles are visible. The edges are curved in a way that the iPhone 14 Pro is not, suggesting that the rounded-edge rumor is also accurate.

That's cute.

Anyway, here's an actual close up of the USB-C port on the iPhone 15 Pro. No imagination or rendering required. https://t.co/vMyQPzeNws pic.twitter.com/LtF3se6MjL

-- Unknownz21 (@URedditor)

This image was shared in response to an earlier Tweet thread from render artist Ian Zelbo, who shared CAD files of the iPhone 15. After showing what clearly was an indent for the USB-C port, @URedditor responded with the leaked photo.

Apple's transition to USB-C in iPhone 15 has been long rumored. With increasing regulatory pressure from the EU, it is all but confirmed for the 2023 release cycle.

@URedditor's history is short but accurate. They previously obtained pre-released iOS 14 code and leaked the "Gobi" AR codes that eventually were revealed as scannable App Clips.

The leaker previously shared that Wi-Fi 6E would be limited to the iPhone 15 Pro lineup, likely due to the A17 being exclusive to those models.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I'm in. Apple is going to sell a metric phucktonne of these things.
    watto_cobrabala1234Graeme000
  • Reply 2 of 18
    More interesting is the port seems to be screwed in, suggesting it is replaceable. The ports will get more of a beating with USB-C vs the cable with Lightning. 
    watto_cobrapulseimagesbala1234appleinsideruser
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I feel more excited about the rounded edges than the USB-C port. I don’t really care for the straight edge look.
    retrogustoglnf
  • Reply 4 of 18
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    More interesting is the port seems to be screwed in, suggesting it is replaceable. The ports will get more of a beating with USB-C vs the cable with Lightning. 
    Can you elaborate on how this "screwed in" compared to how the Lightning component is screwed to the casing?
    mike1
  • Reply 5 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Are they invisible screws? No screws shown in the pics.
    eightzero said:
    Are you really implying that the amount of iPhones that will be sold next generation will be materially affected by the change from Lightning to USB C?!

• Reply 6 of 18
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I am definitely going to upgrade it. I am done with lighting cables. 
    Graeme000wattouk
  • Reply 7 of 18
    mike1 said:
    The top pic is someone's rendering, but the pic from the tweet is the supposed leak. It has screws to hold the display in, like all other iPhones.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    mike1 said:
    eightzero said:
    Are you really implying that the amount of iPhones that will be sold next generation will be materially affected by the change from Lightning to USB C?!

I certainly skipped upgrading last year since it wasn’t USB-c. I’ll definitely be getting this year’s if it is. I’m fairly certain I’m not the only one waiting for it to go USB-c. 

caladanianwattouk
  • Reply 9 of 18
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    mike1 said:
    Are you looking at the embedded photo off Twitter @URedditor (with all the watermarks), or the gold rendering at the top of the article? There is a pentalobe screw head visible on either side of the port in the photo.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    So, on iPhone what is so great about USB-C port ? Port is port. Does the same thing if Lightening or USB-C. With so many cables and adapters for both type ports; does not matter like used to. So move debate to something else on iPhone 15.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    wood1208 said:
    So, on iPhone what is so great about USB-C port ? Port is port. Does the same thing if Lightening or USB-C. With so many cables and adapters for both type ports; does not matter like used to. So move debate to something else on iPhone 15.
    There are inherent pros and cons between all port adapters.
    MplsP
  • Reply 12 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Well, since we have all manner of basement ‘engineers’ adding USB-C ports to Apple devices why should we accept this as real? Yes, Apple will apparently have to comply with the EU mandate but why start with just one model? Why not make the change in one shot?

And as usual, the nattering nabobs of negativism will bitch, whine, and blow a gasket if that USB-C port is not Thunderbolt 4, right?
    Alex1N
  • Reply 13 of 18
    lkrupp said:
    Well, since we have all manner of basement ‘engineers’ adding USB-C ports to Apple devices why should we accept this as real? Yes, Apple will apparently have to comply with the EU mandate but why start with just one model? Why not make the change in one shot?

And as usual, the nattering nabobs of negativism will bitch, whine, and blow a gasket if that USB-C port is not Thunderbolt 4, right?
    Funnily enough you are first one in this article to 'bitch, whine, and blow a gasket'.
    avon b7M68000MplsPmuthuk_vanalingambeowulfschmidtgrandact73
  • Reply 14 of 18
    lkrupp said:

I expect Apple to make the change on all models for this reason: it keeps older models of iPhone in the lineup to sell at a reduced cost. Right now, for example, Apple has new iPhone 12 and 13 for sale on its website, in addition to the iPhone 14. The lower cost broadens the market for the iPhone and, by keeping older models in the lineup longer, Apple better amortizes the development and production costs of each model. If Apple delays the change until next year, then the only iPhone model that Apple will be able to sell in the EU in 2024 will be the USB-C equipped iPhone 16. By making the change this year, they can continue to sell the iPhone 15. Note that Apple does not keep older models of the Pro in its lineup--it's only the regular iPhone that gets carried over. 

As for the "bitching and whiniing" if the USB-C port isn't Thunderbolt 4, clearly you're not in the habit of routinely downloading 4K video (soon to be 8K) or batches of 48mp photos from your iPhone Pro. The speed is glacial over Lightning, which would also be the case for regular USB-C speeds. What pros need (it is an iPhone "Pro," right?) is Thunderbolt 4. Offering professional high resolutions in photo and video without pro speeds to get them off the device amounts to just half of a pro solution. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 15 of 18
    charlesn said:
    lkrupp said:

I expect Apple to make the change on all models for this reason: it keeps older models of iPhone in the lineup to sell at a reduced cost. Right now, for example, Apple has new iPhone 12 and 13 for sale on its website, in addition to the iPhone 14. The lower cost broadens the market for the iPhone and, by keeping older models in the lineup longer, Apple better amortizes the development and production costs of each model. If Apple delays the change until next year, then the only iPhone model that Apple will be able to sell in the EU in 2024 will be the USB-C equipped iPhone 16. By making the change this year, they can continue to sell the iPhone 15. Note that Apple does not keep older models of the Pro in its lineup--it's only the regular iPhone that gets carried over. 

As for the "bitching and whiniing" if the USB-C port isn't Thunderbolt 4, clearly you're not in the habit of routinely downloading 4K video (soon to be 8K) or batches of 48mp photos from your iPhone Pro. The speed is glacial over Lightning, which would also be the case for regular USB-C speeds. What pros need (it is an iPhone "Pro," right?) is Thunderbolt 4. Offering professional high resolutions in photo and video without pro speeds to get them off the device amounts to just half of a pro solution. 
    If anything, I expect Lightning will keep the price higher on the older iPhones because of demand from people not wanting to switch over to USB-C just yet. I bet most WinPC users still predominately  have USB-A on their machines, not to mention how common USB-A are in automobiles. That said, I expect the outrage and concerns to be nothing more than a minor blip once it's executed.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 16 of 18
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Graeme000 said:
    mike1 said:
    eightzero said:

I certainly skipped upgrading last year since it wasn’t USB-c. I’ll definitely be getting this year’s if it is. I’m fairly certain I’m not the only one waiting for it to go USB-c. 

I skipped the 14 for this very reason. My Xr has a failed lightning port, so I am sort of limping along. I want to ditch all my cables all at once, as my updated iPad has USB-C. 

The 14 was supply constrained. Likely that gets solved by September 2023.
    edited February 2023 Graeme000wattouk
  • Reply 17 of 18
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    lkrupp said:

You messed up and posted your standard complaints about people complaining before anyone actually complained. Does that mean you’re actually complaining about yourself?
    muthuk_vanalingambala1234grandact73
  • Reply 18 of 18
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    wood1208 said:
    The biggest advantage will be unifying the charging cables.

I feel more excited about the rounded edges than the USB-C port. I don’t really care for the straight edge look.
    Through the years I’ve found that the models with square edges tend to slip out of my hands more easily than those with rounded edges. I almost always use a case so it ends up not mattering much eitehr way for me, though. Edges and corners are kind of like shirt collars, tie widths and lapels - they go back and forth on a pretty regular basis.Fidonet127 said:
    Those are likely just screws for securing the case, not the port.