How My iPod Got Slammed

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My 5GB iPod got slammed to a tile floor and survived!

The Steel cover just broke off but i connected the separated pieces and put it back together and it worked! The only thing wrong with it, is that the HD makes a wierd noise but everything works fine.

Congragulate me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    <pats on back>

Congrats, clumsy.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Glad to hear it still works, Little Member
  • Reply 3 of 26
    I would have been freaking if that happened to me. That would almost be like dropping your iPod on a concrete sidewalk then. Anyone got any stories on that?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Congragulate? Ummmm.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nx7oe

How far was the drop?

Oh, and might I recommend a trip to Vegas sometime soon?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I dropped mine about three feet onto a linoleum floor once, and the middle button locked up for a bit - it would still respond but it didn't move at all, or make a clicking sound. After a few minutes of pushing the button repeatedly it started working as normal though, so I'm happy about that. iPods seem pretty durable for such an expensive item.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    congratulations.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i heard the iPod was endorsed on TRL (mtv) the other day...perhaps yesterday, so that is good
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Aren't iPods a bit fragile? I hear too many stories about them getting dropped and breaking, I thought they were polycarbonate and magnesium like the Powerbook, if not they should be.

Andrew
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by SquidThing

Aren't iPods a bit fragile? I hear too many stories about them getting dropped and breaking, I thought they were polycarbonate and magnesium like the Powerbook, if not they should be.

Andrew

that would only make the case strong (which i think it is) it is extremely difficult to protect the insides...i would assume especially the HD
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

The Steel cover just broke off but i connected the separated pieces and put it back together and it worked! The only thing wrong with it, is that the HD makes a wierd noise but everything works fine.

Congragulate me.

it doesn't worry you that the HD makes a weird noise now?! i dont know much about those tiny HD's but i know when a regular HD starts making bad noises u have X amount of hours to backup ur data before u lose it...then again depends on the noise, i havn't heard what ur noise sounds likes
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

I would have been freaking if that happened to me. That would almost be like dropping your iPod on a concrete sidewalk then. Anyone got any stories on that?

my 5gig from november 2001 has fallen to the floor(concrete,dirt,gravel) at least 5 times and still works like a charm.....luv my ipod.

and if you are wondering about the many scratches that it has had on the face, and I mean MANY? I use a light "rouge" and a buffing wheel on a 6 inch bench grinder to get rid of them......no joking, it works!

just take your time and dont press too hard, hmmm now i am feelin alittle randy after saying that!
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

my 5gig from november 2001 has fallen to the floor(concrete,dirt,gravel) at least 5 times and still works like a charm.....luv my ipod.

and if you are wondering about the many scratches that it has had on the face, and I mean MANY? I use a light "rouge" and a buffing wheel on a 6 inch bench grinder to get rid of them......no joking, it works!

just take your time and dont press too hard, hmmm now i am feelin alittle randy after saying that!

haha...hear that everyone take ur iPod to a grinder
  • Reply 14 of 26
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Hmm...do none of you have a case for your iPods?

Yeah, it doesn't look as cool, but damn, that's an expensive thing to risk dropping!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    nx7oenx7oe Posts: 198member
    Quote:

And.... Now it died.

And I have to buy a new one

No Warranty left

Funny

Well, now that I'm in the market for a music player, I will be the first to buy the new ipod that will be announced on april 28.

I like to look at life in the good perspective.

Unfortunately, in this situation there isn't any.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

And.... Now it died.

And I have to buy a new one

No Warranty left

Funny

Well, now that I'm in the market for a music player, I will be the first to buy the new ipod that will be announced on april 28.

I like to look at life in the good perspective.

Unfortunately, in this situation there isn't any.

if yours is broken may i have it? i'll pay for shipping if that is needed, i'd liek to get a good look at one...if i get it fixed ill get it back to you
  • Reply 17 of 26
    i'm persistant so i'm gonan private message you with the exact same thing said as above this very post
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Can you get AppleCare on an iPod?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Can you get AppleCare on an iPod?

that is a good point, i assumed it was out of warrenty or else he wouldn't be saying he is in the market for a new one
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

that is a good point, i assumed it was out of warrenty or else he wouldn't be saying he is in the market for a new one

It would appear based on this thread

That iPods can get AppleCare.