OLED iPads might be a lot more expensive than predicted

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2023
The retail price of an OLED iPad is rumored to be considerably higher than current models, with one key component likely costing Apple three times more than what it pays now.

iPad Pro
iPad Pro

Apple is thought to be working on a update to the iPad Pro line, introducing OLED displays to the range sometime in 2024. While the use of the technology could result in an even thinner design than the current miniLED-backlit models, it could end up being quite expensive to consumers.

According to sources cited by TheElec, the cost of the OLED panel from suppliers could be two to three times the price of existing OLED panels of the same size. While an existing 10-inch OLED panel could cost $100 to $150 apiece, the price of the component for an 11-inch iPad Pro could be around $270, rising to $350 for a 12.9-inch panel.

Part of the price difference can be down to the way the panels are produced, specifically a two-stack tandem structure with two OLED layers. The additional use of a low-temperature polycrystalline oxide (LTPO) thin film transistor (TFT) and a hybrid OLED structure combining a glass substrate with thin film encapsulation, could push the price up.

Sources indicate that the prices are just estimates for the moment as development for the OLED iPad has yet to be completed. Price negotiations are expected to start in the summer.

If the price of the panels is sufficiently high, it is almost certain that the extra expense will be passed on to consumers in the form of iPad Pro price rises in the future.

Currently, Samsung Display is said to be developing the 11-inch OLED panel, while LG Display is doing so for both the 11-inch and 12.9-inch versions. However, both apparently failed to satisfy Apple with their production performance in a recent evaluation.

On February 23, new Apple OLED supplier BOE was reportedly taken out of the running to produce the OLED panels for the iPad Pro.

TheElec is a good source for movement within Apple's supply chain. It is notably less accurate as it pertains to Apple's specific plans for a component. Monday's report is more the former, than the latter.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    My 12.9 inch iPP was already priced in the painful range. If I hadn’t gotten a windfall I likely would not have gone for it even though that’s the model I wanted and needed. If the price goes up another couple hundred, well, I’m going to have to reevaluate my needs when it comes time to replace it. 

The most frustrating part though is that I don’t WANT an OLED iPad. A mm thinner is irrelevant to me. Slightly, almost imperceptibly blacker blacks are irrelevant to me. But burn in IS a big worry to me. 
    edited February 2023 beowulfschmidtjahbladeblastdoorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Probably just for the priciest models, and hopefully Apple has a way to keep prices under control, with economies of scale, reduced cost of other components, etc. Different people have different priorities, but as someone who spends hours each day using an iPad Pro, weight and thickness are two of the few areas left where I feel like any improvement would be clearly noticed and appreciated. Thickness would be less important if they returned to the rounded and tapered edge design, which makes it feel thinner, but the only way to make it feel lighter is to make it lighter. The other thing they could do is to design all models based primarily on a landscape orientation, with the front cameras on the longer side and stereo speakers on the shorter sides.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    I thought we were told a year or three ago that miniLED was new tech superior to OLED?  
    DAalsethDooofusjahbladeuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    chadbag said:
    I thought we were told a year or three ago that miniLED was new tech superior to OLED?  
    3 years ago, miniLED probably was the better decision. miniLED is brighter, offers great contrast and robust. OLED has superior per pixel contrast, but has aging issues, especially at 1000 to 2000 nits used for HDR, XDR settings. So in the meanwhile, Apple has been working on getting improved OLED displays per the article:

"Part of the price difference can be down to the way the panels are produced, specifically a two-stack tandem structure with two OLED layers. The additional use of a low-temperature polycrystalline oxide (LTPO) thin film transistor (TFT) and a hybrid OLED structure combining a glass substrate with thin film encapsulation, could push the price up."

The two-stack structure will let them drive the pixels brighter, will reduce aging, burn-in issues. So, 3 to 4 years later, OLED is now a better choice.
    jahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,277member
    I guess if the goal is to get iPad Pro sales volume to be similar to Mac Pro volume then a massive price hike makes sense. 

I just hope they make a 13 inch iPad Air. I don’t need OLED and I don’t need the best camera array either. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Hmm:
    ipad pro wifi 12.9 inch LED 128GB AUD$1899 incl GST
    Samsung galaxy tab S8+ wifi 128GB 12.4 inch AMOLED with an S-pen AUD$1499 incl GST.
    (Oh, the 14.6 tabS8+ ultra AMOLED is AUD$1799)

Leaving aside Samsung’s naming conventions, anyone doubt these will be the panels Apple will use?
    add AUD$219 for the Apple Pencil 2, that makes the iPad Pro AUD$2118. and Apple wants to raise the price further?
    edited February 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    entropys said:
    Hmm:
    ipad pro wifi 12.9 inch LED 128GB AUD$1899 incl GST
    Samsung galaxy tab S8+ wifi 128GB 12.4 inch AMOLED with an S-pen AUD$1499 incl GST.
    (Oh, the 14.6 tabS8+ ultra AMOLED is AUD$1799)

Leaving aside Samsung’s naming conventions, anyone doubt these will be the panels Apple will use?
    add AUD$219 for the Apple Pencil 2, that makes the iPad Pro AUD$2118. and Apple wants to raise the price further?
    I doubt that Apple will use the OLEDs in these Galaxy Tab S8+ tablets, especially if they are Pentile sub-pixel arrangements. Apple will want 260 RGB PPI, or equivalent in Pentile PPI. And the rumor is for a two stack OLED, which I don't think are on the market yet, at least not at 260 PPI.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    None of anything really matters if all these displays are still using pwm. This is a real serious problem. This is why many companies are using anti-flicker tech without pwm on their desktop displays. There really isn't much difference in picture quality on mobile when comparing IPS with OLED. Correction, not enough of a difference to choose OLED/Mini-LED over IPS. Blacker blacks and being able to view your phone at an absurd angle isn't worth the ocular damage. Jacking up the pwm freq to give the illusion of no flicker is also not a fix.  

It's ironic these companies are experimenting with VR apps to help with and correct vision when it's these devices that are literally degrading everyone's vision.  This is one of the reasons why big tech founders/execs have traditionally not let their children use devices.

I use various iPhones for testing at work, but for my personal phone I'll stick with my IPS phone until they manufacture mobile displays that can produce great color while at the same time manage displays digitally without needing pwm.

edited February 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,843member
    No surprise….. higher quality OLED with less burn-in, will cost more let the crying ensue.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    Just go back to a 9.7" iPad. Problem solved. Steve Jobs had the perfect-sized iPad and dumb ass Cook with no product sense kept going larger. Give people a smaller lighter iPad that would be much easier to carry around and cheaper to boot.
    edited February 2023
  • Reply 11 of 12
    DAalseth said:
    A
    The most frustrating part though is that I don’t WANT an OLED iPad. A mm thinner is irrelevant to me. Slightly, almost imperceptibly blacker blacks are irrelevant to me. But burn in IS a big worryDAalseth said:

Absolutely agree. The only reasons  I have an iPad Pro instead of the smaller, lighter iPad are higher storage capability, four speakers, and importantly, a more capable neural engine for future proofing. The display is something I DON’T want to pay extra for.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    If it has a new price point higher it will have a new name. 
    iPad Ultra would seem to be the trend but is screen tech really enough up sell when the pros already are driven by an M2?

The M3 is what 9 to 12 months away. 
    Cameras aren't going to make a massive leap.