Qualcomm's M2-beating chip probably won't arrive until after M3 drops

Posted:
in General Discussion
After missing a commitment to trounce Apple in 2022, it will also miss its 2023 promise, as Qualcomm is now promising its Apple Silicon-beating processors will ship in 2024.

Speaking at Mobile World Congress, Qualcomm CEO and President Cristiano Amon yesterday revealed that Apple will be producing its own 5G modems in the iPhone 16. Today in more from his interview with the Wall Street Journal's Joanne Stern, Amon said the company was looking to match Apple's annovation.

"Absolutely," he said. "We design... you know, we have not yet announced... but our SoC and custom CPUs, you should think of it as an Apple compete for the Microsoft ecosystem."

Windows PCs that compete with Apple M2-powered Macs? Here's Qualcomm's @cristianoamon at my #MWC2023 @WSJ Tech Things event talking about how the company's next chip for PCs is going to compete with Apple. Only problem? It's not shipping in products until early 2024. pic.twitter.com/84g6HZ0jtb

-- Joanna Stern (@JoannaStern)

When Stern asked when this chip was coming, Amon initially said "September, October timeframe."

However when she pressed, he revealed that was not when products would be shipping.

"We probably will see some devices that may get announced in '23," he continued. "Most likely you're going to see a number of announcements at CES in 2024."

Amon's comments at this year's MWC appear to back up his claims from April 2022, that Qualcomm would be shipping PCs by late 2023. However, that estimate followed a previous one that saw Qualcomm expecting to release chips around August 2022.

At the time it made that announcement, in November 2021, Qualcomm was talking about creating a competitor to what was then Apple's M1 series of processors. Apple has since released the M2 range, and various rumors say it will have an M3 in a Mac by the end of 2023.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    So where did he promise their chip will “beat” the M2?
    gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    So, it will launch against Apple’s M3, which is rumored to bring monster gains in performance and battery.   Good luck with that 

Also, where are Microsoft developers in creating ARM natively compiled software?     That will add another 12 months to their timeline in getting fully baked solution in the marketplace 
    edited February 2023 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    red oak said:
    So, it will launch against Apple’s M3, which is rumored to bring monster gains in performance and battery.   Good luck with that 

Also, where are Microsoft developers in creating ARM natively compiled software?     That will add another 12 months to their timeline in getting fully baked solution in the marketplace 
    The M3 will likely based on A16, still a 4+4 with mild clock increase.

That said, I doubt Qualcomm will put out something better overall, we’ll see.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    DuhSesame said:
    red oak said:

That would be three generations based on the A16.   We’ll see 

The move alone to 3 nm is going to provide 30% benefit.   Apple gets to decide how to divy that up between performance and battery life.    

I would not be surprised if M3 provides 30% performance overall (CPU and GPU)  AND 10% better battery life.    10% sounds low, but that’s another 2 hours at this point.    Substantial.    Or, Apple could decide to put it all into performance and get 40% better vs. M2.   That would be a real monster 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    On one hand even though I’d not want to go to Android, I’m glad that they are putting pressure on Apple to keep their SoC advancing. 
    On the other hand, the chips are so much faster than I need that it’s rather meaningless. I mean I haven’t felt like my computer/device wasn’t fast enough for a long time. When I upgrade I look to see if I can double the benchmark of my previous system, I keep them a long time, but mostly that’s for fun. In reality even if Apple’s M Series chips fell behind QC it wouldn’t actually make a tinker’s damn bit of difference to me. 
    rotateleftbytemuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonlollivergatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Prediction: qualcomms chips will match m2 base performance … when m4 launches. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    red oak said:
    DuhSesame said:
    red oak said:

The move alone to 3 nm is going to provide 30% benefit.   Apple gets to decide how to divy that up between performance and battery life.    

I would not be surprised if M3 provides 30% performance overall (CPU and GPU)  AND 10% better battery life.    10% sounds low, but that’s another 2 hours at this point.    Substantial.    Or, Apple could decide to put it all into performance and get 40% better vs. M2.   That would be a real monster 
    That would be without architectural improvements. M3 has been the goal for a couple years. M2 was always a stopgap, existing as basically an m1 plus. 

M3 cpu and GPU are being improved. Moving to 3nm is going to boost that further. 

It’s going to be a big deal in terms of performance. 

I can see the Mac Studio getting one update to m2 max/ultra and the Mac Pro arriving with an innovative m3 setup. The die shrink will also allow an M3 Ultra iMac to finally be released. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I received my new M2-Max MBP (64GB RAM & 2TB SSD) and was simply blown-away at the performance.  It put my 2020 10-core i9 (128GB RAM & 8TB SSD) iMac to shame in every metric I use it for.  Simply amazing the amount of performance this laptop has.

Qualcomm has some serious uphill challenges and I suspect it will get a lot of pie on its face when they come out with their Apple-CPU killer.  *rolls eyes*
    williamlondonred oakradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    red oak said:
    DuhSesame said:
    red oak said:

That would be without architectural improvements. M3 has been the goal for a couple years. M2 was always a stopgap, existing as basically an m1 plus. 

M3 cpu and GPU are being improved. Moving to 3nm is going to boost that further. 

It’s going to be a big deal in terms of performance. 

I can see the Mac Studio getting one update to m2 max/ultra and the Mac Pro arriving with an innovative m3 setup. The die shrink will also allow an M3 Ultra iMac to finally be released. 
    I don’t know if Apple wants to make tremendous increase of performance on their mainstream chips.

In fact we don’t know what Apple is thinking: Will they give up entirely on performance and only care about power & thermals?  They have the leverage of not joining the competition.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    sflocal said:
    I received my new M2-Max MBP (64GB RAM & 2TB SSD) and was simply blown-away at the performance.  It put my 2020 10-core i9 (128GB RAM & 8TB SSD) iMac to shame in every metric I use it for.  Simply amazing the amount of performance this laptop has.

Qualcomm has some serious uphill challenges and I suspect it will get a lot of pie on its face when they come out with their Apple-CPU killer.  *rolls eyes*
    For an obsolete 10-core, yes.  But do realize Intel’s 12th-gen is making at least 2x increase.  Now they have 8 more e-cores to their disposal.

Apple, while having significant advantages in their architecture, moved ridiculously slow.  I’d say 16+8 is not gonna cut it against Raptor Lake & Zen 4z
  • Reply 11 of 23
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Qualcomm chip doesn’t need to be an Mx killer though. It just has to be good enough. It dominates the android market as it is, and no one claims they match Ax chips.
    muthuk_vanalingamtenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,848member
    Qualcomm first chip with the guys from Nuvia will be right below M1 level if that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    ... you should think of it as an Apple compete for the Microsoft ecosystem."
    I suppose some people actually care about Windoze.  I for one do not.  I've been an exclusively Mac user since the 128K in 1984. Hence, it doesn't matter that some chips in the Windoze world beat the M1 or M2.  Even Intel's latest and greatest beat the M2 in certain areas, but aside from the fact those new chips apply exclusively to Windoze (and therefore not to me), those fast chips also draw a huge amount of power compared to Apple Silicon, which makes them rather silly, especially with most people buying notebooks these days.  You see, when you pull the power cord on most any Windoze notebook, you suddenly get about half the performance, which is crazy.  MacBooks don't suffer a performance penalty for using battery power alone.  When pondering Apple Silicon, it's not only about performance (which is great, mind you).  Power draw matters!

If it wasn't for gamers and engineers and people too old to change their ways, would anyone really need or want a Windoze machine anymore?
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    DuhSesame said:
    sflocal said:

For an obsolete 10-core, yes.  But do realize Intel’s 12th-gen is making at least 2x increase.  Now they have 8 more e-cores to their disposal.

Apple, while having significant advantages in their architecture, moved ridiculously slow.  I’d say 16+8 is not gonna cut it against Raptor Lake & Zen 4z
    Put those chips in a laptop and running on battery, Apple's M(x) chips have always outperformed the Intel/AMD varieties.  As a laptop, that matters.
    sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    r_marir_mari Posts: 12member
    After missing a commitment to trounce Apple in 2022, it will also miss its 2023 promise, as Qualcomm is now promising its Apple Silicon-beating processors will ship in 2024.

For Qualcomm chips to beat Apple Silicon, Qualcomm chips have to be FASTER THAN INTEL 13th generation x64 CPUs.
    I seriously doubt they can do this.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    DuhSesame said:
    red oak said:

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. It’s supposedly being tapped out alongside the A17 using TSMC latest N3 node. If that is the case… it’ll be based on A17 gen. cores.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    sflocal said:
    DuhSesame said:
    sflocal said:

Put those chips in a laptop and running on battery, Apple's M(x) chips have always outperformed the Intel/AMD varieties.  As a laptop, that matters.
    Yup, this is where we are right now. For people who want a laptop with good battery life that doesn’t require exotic cooling (ie, most laptop users, ie most computer users), Apple wins.

For people who want a powerful desktop and don’t care too much about power consumption (ie, most desktop users, esp pros), Intel/amd win.

thing is, though, apple *could* win on the desktop, too. Apple *could* over clock a big core to win or single thread and they could add a bunch more e-cores to win MT. But “could” isnt “did”, so apple is currently losing on the desktop performance front. I’d like to see Apple realize their potential on the desktop 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Makes sense, timing seems about right. Apple’s focus on the end product is a big advantage here, as seen in the way the Qualcomm executive had to hedge after saying “September, October,” to clarify that actually means sometime next year with regard to products not only being announced at CES but then also being released with, you know, availability and pricing.

That said, it’s also true that Qualcomm is coming at it from the same direction as Apple, so the same advantages in efficiency will also apply. These products will likely perform well on battery power. It’s doubtful they can catch Apple, but they don’t need to. 
    radarthekatmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    jdw said:
    ... you should think of it as an Apple compete for the Microsoft ecosystem."
    I suppose some people actually care about Windoze.  I for one do not.  I've been an exclusively Mac user since the 128K in 1984. Hence, it doesn't matter that some chips in the Windoze world beat the M1 or M2.  Even Intel's latest and greatest beat the M2 in certain areas, but aside from the fact those new chips apply exclusively to Windoze (and therefore not to me), those fast chips also draw a huge amount of power compared to Apple Silicon, which makes them rather silly, especially with most people buying notebooks these days.  You see, when you pull the power cord on most any Windoze notebook, you suddenly get about half the performance, which is crazy.  MacBooks don't suffer a performance penalty for using battery power alone.  When pondering Apple Silicon, it's not only about performance (which is great, mind you).  Power draw matters!

If it wasn't for gamers and engineers and people too old to change their ways, would anyone really need or want a Windoze machine anymore?
    Considering the market share, there is a lot of people interested in Windows.  At least for me, Windows 11 have been as stable as my macOS devices.  In some tasks Windows is better, in others macOS does better.  

And you should add to the groups you listed, business and enterprises, that has the best ecosystem in MS services.  Also the group of users the prefer Windows over macOS (yes, they exist).  Maybe you should try Windows in a high quality PC.  It has improved a lot since 1984.   :#
    edited March 2023 AniMillmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 23
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    entropys said:
    Qualcomm chip doesn’t need to be an Mx killer though. It just has to be good enough. It dominates the android market as it is, and no one claims they match Ax chips.
    I agree with you.  I think Qualcomm will start focused with devices where performance is not an issue, for example, notebooks and PC's personal or business use.  Those users work most of the time in the browser and MS Office, and they are fine today with the performance level they have.  If they release a chip that perform at the level of the M1, I think they'll be very good.  IMO, they don't need to release a M3 killer to impact the market, at least for the light tasks I mentioned before. I'm looking forward to a ThinkPad with a Qualcomm CPU with performance + efficiency similar to an Apple M1.  
    muthuk_vanalingam