"A more just and peaceful middle east"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    israeli settlements is going to be a huge hurdle in the peace process. in fact it would be the focal point at this moment had arafat not backed out of clinton's peace accords.

israel is going to have a large problem on their hands when they try to remove the settlements. i don't know that they will be able to do it.

there are zealots and then there are zealots. many settlers are waiting for the sky to fall anyway so nothing scares them.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    How about your opinion, Anders?

• Reply 3 of 9
    i meant to add, not all settlers are jewish.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Are we all at least in agreement that this is a bad thing?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

israeli settlements is going to be a huge hurdle in the peace process. in fact it would be the focal point at this moment had arafat not backed out of clinton's peace accords.

israel is going to have a large problem on their hands when they try to remove the settlements. i don't know that they will be able to do it.

there are zealots and then there are zealots. many settlers are waiting for the sky to fall anyway so nothing scares them.

They are on the table. Getting rid of them is easy to say. You just tell the people there, "Move now or else. When this land gets turned over the Muslims you will not have Israel's protection anymore. No matter what we will not save you." Most will be bought out, others will move with force others will want to stay and fight. The hard part for Israel will be turning their backs and walking away.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    This thread is more likely to be locked due to the use of profanity if added my opinion than it is now due to the lack of opinion in the starting post.

I hope the sarcasm in the thread title is enough comment from me.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Anders,

Every time I look @ a map of Israel & the middle East I despair.

Israel feels like its surrounded by " Arab " enemies, while Palestinians have a sense of being surrounded by " Israeli " enemies.

I know I'm going to be shot at for this suggestion,

but I can't see the "Gaza strip" being sustainable in any economic sense. Apart from it's tiny southern connection to Egypt, is utterly surrounded by Israel.

So it seems to me, that a Quid Pro Quo should be worked out between Israel & Palestine, whereby the Gaza strip is exchanged for an area of equal size within the "disputed terrotories " & with some more land added besides.

It would mean that the " Gaza Thorn " inside the borders of Israel would be removed & that the Palestinians would have a larger area returned to them in the West bank an area that enlarge their economic / prosperity & independence from Israel.

Call me dumb if you like, but I do know one thing...

God is not making any more land in the Middle East.

\
  • Reply 8 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I don't think the people of Gaza would go for it. Besides in more peaceful times it is possible for the two parties to work, as in bussiness/jobs/trade, together.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I don't think the people of Gaza would go for it. Besides in more peaceful times it is possible for the two parties to work, as in bussiness/jobs/trade, together.

Absolutely,

You'd think with the world economy going down to sh..t hole, that maybe they could all overcome their differences, & think about the economic prosperity of the area as a whole.

Except I don't think economic arguments will wash away the stain of such deeply held animosity.

God : where are the children in this equation ?