What is iPhone Clean Energy Charging, and what you need to know

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2023
Apple quietly included a feature called Clean Energy Charging in iOS 16.1 and turned it on by default. Here's what you need to know about the environmentally conscious feature.

Clean Energy Charging helps reduce a user's carbon footprint
Clean Energy Charging helps reduce a user's carbon footprint

Apple was vocal about Clean Energy Charging when it announced iOS 16 in September 2022. It didn't launch to the public until October 24 with iOS 16.1, and it seemed the change went by without many users noticing -- until a recent social media storm.

Sunday, February 26, saw a slew of posts getting attention on Twitter about Clean Energy Charging. Users were vocal and angry, stating that they didn't want Apple to decide how they used energy for them.

The feature is opt-out, so if you don't want to participate in Clean Energy Charging, there is a simple toggle in settings to turn it off.

Before disabling the feature, you should learn about why Apple thinks Clean Energy Charging is important, how it works, and why you should consider leaving it on.

What is Clean Energy Charging?

Clean Energy Charging is a feature that reduces a user's carbon footprint based on certain charging habits and local carbon emission forecasts. It is only active during extended charging sessions, like overnight, and in certain repeat locations, like at home or work.

Despite claims made on social media, this feature does not reduce the effectiveness or speed of charging every time a device is plugged in. Instead, it is very selective based on the conditions mentioned before.

Posts and stories claiming that users had to turn off Clean Energy Charging after noticing how slow their iPhone was charging since iOS 16.1 are not accurate. This is based on a misunderstanding of the feature.

Charging only when clean energy is available will still result in a fully-charged device overnight
Charging only when clean energy is available will still result in a fully-charged device overnight

Users should not notice any difference in how their iPhone normally charges with Clean Energy Charging enabled.

In the event Clean Energy Charging activates at an inopportune time, users can shut it off and charge normally. If the feature is active, there is a notification available that can be long-pressed to turn it off for that charging session.

Clean Energy Charging doesn't activate without notifying the user. If the feature does suspend charging, the notification will say when the device will reach 100% -- similar to the Optimized Battery Charging feature.

What does "carbon emission forecast" mean, and what if my region doesn't have any clean energy?

Articles and various social media posts suggest that Apple is somehow punishing users who live in areas that have heavy carbon emissions. This is a deliberate misunderstanding of the feature and how it works.

Charging on a more deliberate schedule can be good for the environment and the device's battery
Charging on a more deliberate schedule can be good for the environment and the device's battery

A carbon emission forecast isn't looking for clean energy sources and deciding if your electrical grid is "bad." It is looking for an average of carbon emissions over time and decides when the least carbon emissions are created for a given day -- which is net-cleaner. Basically, what the phone is assessing is peak versus non-peak electrical power usage times.

The iPhone feature will look for when carbon emissions are lower on average for the region and wait to charge the iPhone at full speed until then. However, there are other calculations taking place that will be discussed in the next section.

Reducing a user's carbon footprint doesn't mean the user has to ask their electric company to move to new energy sources so they can charge their iPhone faster. What it does mean is for the millions of iPhones in use across the United States, the collective user base can make a difference by charging their device more intentionally in very specific circumstances to reduce carbon emissions.

How charging is managed with Clean Energy Charging enabled

Multiple things have to be true before the iPhone suspends charging with Clean Energy Charging enabled. A machine-learning algorithm controls the feature.

We'll refer to something as a Significant Location in the following list. This is a location determined using a device's location data over time to determine where a user spends most of their day.

Clean Energy Charging activates when:

• The user is in a Significant Location where extended periods of time are spent. meaning home, work, or school.

• The carbon emissions forecast tells the iPhone that heavy emissions are expected while the device is plugged in.

• Based on user behavior, the iPhone knows it will be on the charger for hours. i.e. while the user sleeps or is stationary at a desk.

• The device has time to wait for cleaner energy given when it was plugged in and when it expects to be unplugged, so it can still reach 100%.

These requirements mean that it is likely for Clean Energy Charging to only activate overnight when a user is sleeping. It works alongside Optimized Battery Charging to ensure the battery health is preserved and carbon emissions are minimized.

Clean Energy Charging won't activate when traveling or in any new location outside of Significant Locations. Location data isn't shared with Apple and is only used for the algorithm.

To ensure Clean Energy Charging is active, Apple says the following features need to be activated:

1. Go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health & Charging and make sure that Clean Energy Charging is on.

2. Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services and make sure that Location Services is on.

3. Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services and make sure that System Customization is on.

4. Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services > Significant Locations and make sure that Significant Locations is on.

As we previously mentioned, Clean Energy Charging will notify the user if charging has been suspended. It never acts in the background and does not slow a user's charging speed.

How to turn off Clean Energy Charging

1. Open the Settings app

2. Select Battery

3. Select Battery Health & Charging

4. Toggle off Clean Energy Charging

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    {sigh} seen this before.
    Apple introduces some nice feature. 
    Nobody pays any attention to it for a while.
    A bunch of drooling mouth breathers on Twitter realize it exists and start spouting exaggerations, and mostly outright lies about what it does and why. Eventually they will start using words like ‘crippled’ and ‘bricked’ about what it did to their Apple device.
    Lawyers file suit.

It has become a tired trope. Lawyers using morons on Twitter to astroturf a BS story so they can line their pocket. 
    iOS_Guy80tokyojimulkruppwilliamlondonForumPostelijahgwatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 2 of 18
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Is this a US only thing? I checked my iPhone to make sure it was on and don’t have the Clean Energy Charging option in Battery Health & Charging. iPhone11 iOS 16.3.1 British Columbia. 
    edited March 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    Informative. article. Thank you.
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    DAalseth said:
    Is this a US only thing? I checked my iPhone to make sure it was on and don’t have the Clean Energy Charging option in Battery Health & Charging. iPhone11 iOS 16.3.1 British Colombia. 
    Same for me in Czech republic.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    Dooofus said:
    Of course, what's not mentioned is if it costs more. "Clean" energy certainly costs more to produce, so if the power company is charging you more, this feature is costing you money. I'll be turning this off. Until China, India and other developing countries are compelled to share the burden of "saving the planet" with those of us in the west, I'm (literally) not buying it.
    Not anymore. Solar and wind are both cheaper to build and operate than fossil fuel power plants are just to operate. 

P.S.  I approve of your username.  It fits. 
    retrogustoSpitbathwilliamlondonihazquestionDAalsethlolliverappleinsiderusermknelsonelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    Dooofus said:
    Of course, what's not mentioned is if it costs more. "Clean" energy certainly costs more to produce, so if the power company is charging you more, this feature is costing you money. I'll be turning this off. Until China, India and other developing countries are compelled to share the burden of "saving the planet" with those of us in the west, I'm (literally) not buying it.
    No, the phone can’t tell your utility company how to generate the power your phone is using to charge. Maybe next century! If you read the article, you’ll see that all it does is to do its best to use power when power is least needed by others (when it can do so without impacting your charging rhythms), based on a few calculated predictions, thereby minimizing the burden on the power grid. It could save you a small amount of money if your utility company charges less for power used off-peak, but I don’t see how it could ever cost you more. 
    Spitbathwilliamlondonlolliverelijahgwatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Dooofus said:
    China and India emit much less per capita than the United States does and are responsible for much smaller share of historical emissions. You're just crying and pointing fingers at others because you don't want to do anything differently or take responsibility for yourself.
    SpitbathwilliamlondonDAalsethlollivermknelsonForumPostelijahgmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraretrogusto
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 184member, administrator, moderator, editor
    Dooofus said:
    It isn't mentioned because it isn't true. If anything, the opposite is true. Charging your iPhone during peak electrical draw periods that cause the most pollution will cost more. Electricity costs more per hour during peak draw.

It is highly unlikely that the cleanest time to charge will coincide with the most expensive time to charge. It physically doesn't make sense unless your area relies on purely renewable energy and nuclear power.
    elijahgAlex1N
  • Reply 9 of 18
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    bonobob said:
    Dooofus said:
    Not anymore. Solar and wind are both cheaper to build and operate than fossil fuel power plants are just to operate. 

P.S.  I approve of your username.  It fits. 
    Exactly!
    Renewables cost less to build - far less than coal, and there are no input costs once it's running. Maintenance and wear and tear, but that applies to all generation.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 10 of 18
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    DAalseth said:
    Is this a US only thing? I checked my iPhone to make sure it was on and don’t have the Clean Energy Charging option in Battery Health & Charging. iPhone11 iOS 16.3.1 British Columbia. 
    The article I read yesterday said it is a US only feature at this time.

I mostly charge my phone at night when renewables tend to be less available, but then again general electricity usage is also lowest. That's why it's cheapest to charge at night in countries that bill by network demand.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 11 of 18
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Dooofus said:
    Just turn it off and save yourself the anger. No one really needs the negativity and the vitriol certainly doesn’t contribute anything helpful. 
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Dooofus said:
    Well said, dooofus! Until the entire world unilaterally joins forces to "save the planet", I too will go out of my way to avoid lifting a single finger that might help. 
    elijahgretrogustowatto_cobraihazquestionspheric
  • Reply 13 of 18
    arthurbaarthurba Posts: 154member
     a more useful feature would be "don't charge" except for start/end.

we all know that for the life of the battery it's better to have fewer charging cycles.

but I spend a lot of time in my car, and of course I connect my phone via a wired connection for CarPlay.

except then the phone begins to charge.

it doesn't need a charge, my phone will last all day without a charge, just DO NOT CHARGE.

This "feature" is just what I want - "do not charge" except between certain hours.  Except Apple have fixed the hours and given it a stupid divisive and unhelpful name.

The feature is good, and could be used all over the world and would improve the life of the batteries - it just needs the start/end times as changeable by the user.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    My electricity supply is 100% renewable so this 'feature' makes no difference to me but I will be disabling it.
    As I have 33kWh of home battery storage controlling the charging based on the current mix of generation on the grid is pointless.
    While I like the idea of this, it needs a lot more work especially to add timed charging.

The same goes for charging while I'm in my EV. That is like my home, powered by 100% renewable electrons.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 15 of 18
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    What you need to do is click disable. Nothing more to know.
    Alex1Nspheric
  • Reply 16 of 18
    BlizzardBlizzard Posts: 36member
    Dooofus said:
    The reason why it isn't mentioned is because it would cost you an extra one penny at most per month.  I subscribe to the xcel energy windsource program for 100% of my energy usage, I use around 400kWh a month, that generally costs me an extra $0.75 per month compared to paying fossil fuels rates.  Smart phone charging a month is around 0.15 kWh a month.  You do the math.
    spheric
  • Reply 17 of 18
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    My electricity supply is 100% renewable so this 'feature' makes no difference to me but I will be disabling it.
    As I have 33kWh of home battery storage controlling the charging based on the current mix of generation on the grid is pointless.
    While I like the idea of this, it needs a lot more work especially to add timed charging.

The same goes for charging while I'm in my EV. That is like my home, powered by 100% renewable electrons.
    What battery and inverter do you have?