Spotify's new design looks like TikTok

Posted:
in General Discussion
Spotify announced a redesign of its app recently with a new Home feed and automation features, and it may look familiar to some users.

Spotify's new design
Spotify's new design

The company unveiled the new design on Wednesday, calling it its most significant evolution yet. The company says that it was built to facilitate more meaningful interactions between fans and artists and deeper content discovery.

"The world today pulls us in a million different directions," said Co-President and Chief Product & Technology Officer Gustav Soderstrom. "So the most important thing we, at Spotify, can do for creators is to reduce the distance between their art and the people who love it...or who would love it as soon as they discovered it."

Styled similar to TikTok, and not that much different from Apple Music Connect, the new Home feed lets users swipe through video and audio previews for music, podcasts, and audiobooks and includes new video feeds for discovery in the Search section. Spotify also highlighted DJ, Smart Shuffle, and Autoplay for Podcasts.

DJ is a new personalized AI guide recently launched in beta for Premium users in the US and Canada. It learns from users' musical tastes to choose what to play for them.

Next, Smart Shuffle is a new experience to keep listening sessions "fresh" with personalized recommendations to match the sound of a user-created playlist. It can shuffle tracks and add new, tailored suggestions.

Finally, Spotify has added Autoplay for podcasts that can automatically play episodes from other podcasts similar to the previous one. The app is available to download for free from the App Store and requires iOS and iPadOS 14.0 or later, and tvOS 13.0 or later.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Would dearly love to see a redesign of the Apple Music app. It’s the #1 reason I prefer Spotify (well, that, and a better algorithm that finds music I like). Haven’t seen Spotify’s new design yet, I hope they didn’t “fix” what wasn’t broken…
    Japheyuraharawilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 8
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Finally they released HiFi!

Oh, wait. No. Because Spotify's audience is mainly kids who don't care about sound quality. Just want the jams in a TikToky wrapper.

Apple Music wins again.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 8
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Appleish said:

Oh, wait. No. Because Spotify's audience is mainly kids who don't care about sound quality. Just want the jams in a TikToky wrapper.

Apple Music wins again.
    I’m sure most people would agree that they were the exact same way when they were kids. But yay Apple! They offer something that, according to you, a huge section of their target audience doesn’t even care about.  

Weird brag.

Personally, I’m glad to have streaming options to choose from because it would suck if they were all the same. And while this update does sound pretty awful, I’ll probably wait until it’s actually out before I pass judgement. 
    edited March 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 8
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Would dearly love to see a redesign of the Apple Music app. It’s the #1 reason I prefer Spotify (well, that, and a better algorithm that finds music I like). Haven’t seen Spotify’s new design yet, I hope they didn’t “fix” what wasn’t broken…
    100%
    uraharawilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Appleish said:

It isn’t just kids that don’t care about sound quality. A couple I’m friends with who are retired have some kind of Echo Dot thing. It’s unlike any other I’ve seen before as it plugs directly into the outlet with no cord (similar to the old AirPort Express). It sounds awful. They mostly use it for music but also the occasional timer and weather. When I mentioned the terrible sound they told me sound quality isn’t a priority to them. Yeah, obviously. I completely don’t understand choosing to listen to music and not caring AT ALL about sound quality. I can’t describe how badly it sounds but I’ve had better sound out of shitty Bluetooth connections before. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Eh...UI design is mostly about getting the informational hierarchy right. The visual part of it is just variations on scrolling through rounded squares/rectangles. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Appleish said:

It isn’t just kids that don’t care about sound quality. A couple I’m friends with who are retired have some kind of Echo Dot thing. It’s unlike any other I’ve seen before as it plugs directly into the outlet with no cord (similar to the old AirPort Express). It sounds awful. They mostly use it for music but also the occasional timer and weather. When I mentioned the terrible sound they told me sound quality isn’t a priority to them. Yeah, obviously. I completely don’t understand choosing to listen to music and not caring AT ALL about sound quality. I can’t describe how badly it sounds but I’ve had better sound out of shitty Bluetooth connections before. 
    Sometimes hearing music is just about letting it trigger memories from your earlier encounters with a particular song.

When I was in high school I was fortunate enough to go on a musical tour of the state with ~130 other young musicians. Some of the orchestral numbers were from "West Side Story" and with about 70 instruments the sound was far and above the official recording from the movie soundtrack (which I think was a 40-piece orchestra). Our own recording of the end-of-tour concert is OK (it was on audio cassette and I converted it to digital at some point) but neither recording sounds as good as my memory of the live performances. Those were the days!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Appleish said:

Apple Music wins again.
    Are you insinuating that the majority of AM subscribers are older and doing critical listening with the available lossless audio on AM. Really? So you think the millions upon millions of Airpods Apple makes are being sold mainly to kids that use Spotify? Come on.. really ? Cuz they sure as heck aren't made for lossless or super high fidelity music that's for darn sure.