Apple launches Apple Music Classical app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    Should just be in a genre tab on Apple Music. 

a lot of music catalogs on Apple Music. Just because this is a giant catalog doesn’t mean it needs its own app. 

Biography info, etc would fit nearly as a link or accordion element. 

More steps to do the same thing. Not good. 
    How are there more steps?
    Spitbathstompybyronl
  • Reply 22 of 82
    lotoneslotones Posts: 59member
    A dedicated TVOS app would be a nice tip of the hat - I don’t necessarily want to be tethered to AirPlay.
    And there’s my issue with this: Apple TV is limited to 48khz for some reason. I can’t even stream files from my computer to the Apple TV  on my sound system at a native resolution above 48khz, which is an really disappointing because there is no limitation of an internal DAC, and I can do so on my universal disc player released 7 years ago! All the Apple TV needs to do is pass the audio to my preamp.

Either Apple needs to enable Apple TV to play  hi-res above 48khz via a software update, or release a third Apple TV in 3 years for people who actually can hear the difference between 48khz and 98khz (i.e. people with a halfway decent sound system).
    gregoriusmrezwitsd_2watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 23 of 82

a lot of music catalogs on Apple Music. Just because this is a giant catalog doesn’t mean it needs its own app. 

Anyone who's even the slightest bit serious about Classical Music would entirely disagree with you.
    OferSpitbathmelgrossstompymacguijeffharrisbyronl
  • Reply 24 of 82
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member

Anyone who's even the slightest bit serious about Classical Music would entirely disagree with you.
    This is correct. Classical music has been the red-headed step child all the way back to old-school record stores. This new app will be a game changer for the genre.
    OferSpitbathstompybyronl
  • Reply 25 of 82
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    DAalseth said:
    Apple Classical; YAY!
    Must have an AppleMusic subscription; Well…
    I’ll hold off until I hear more about it. TBH I don’t want an AppleMusic subscription. If I did I would already have one. I mean if this IS a premium service, and the reviews are top notch, fine. I’ll go with it. But I would have preferred it to be stand alone even at the same price as AM.
    Pay the same for less?  Brilliant logic there. 
    Besides, if you really think about it, it IS already standalone. And it does already cost the same. Just pretend A.M. doesn’t exist, and your wish will come true. 
    Spitbathmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobramacguibyronl
  • Reply 26 of 82
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    lotones said:
    A dedicated TVOS app would be a nice tip of the hat - I don’t necessarily want to be tethered to AirPlay.
    And there’s my issue with this: Apple TV is limited to 48khz for some reason. I can’t even stream files from my computer to the Apple TV  on my sound system at a native resolution above 48khz, which is an really disappointing because there is no limitation of an internal DAC, and I can do so on my universal disc player released 7 years ago! All the Apple TV needs to do is pass the audio to my preamp.

Either Apple needs to enable Apple TV to play  hi-res above 48khz via a software update, or release a third Apple TV in 3 years for people who actually can hear the difference between 48khz and 98khz (i.e. people with a halfway decent sound system).
    I’ve been wishing for a while that they would restore the optical output that used to be included with Apple TV, which would also make it a lot easier to connect your Apple TV to an external DAC or other stereo components that don’t have HDMI. Almost no DACs take HDMI input, and if you invest big money on one of the few that does, it will start to be obsolete as soon as they update the HDMI spec, whereas optical digital signals don’t run that risk in the same way. If you want to use a high-end DAC from 10+ years ago with HDMI, it won’t pass through a 4K signal or HDR. I know you can solve this problem with a splitter or extractor, but it’s still inelegant and there aren’t a lot of great options there either.

The fact that Apple is doubling down on hi-res audio does seem like generally a good indicator that they care about this stuff, and maybe they will also find a way to extend AirPlay to support higher bit rates, especially if people have to run the app on their iPhones.
    gregoriusmlotonesOferd_2watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 27 of 82
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    DAalseth said:
    igforbes said:
    DAalseth said:
    Apple Classical; YAY!
    I’ll hold off until I hear more about it. TBH I don’t want an AppleMusic subscription. If I did I would already have one. I mean if this IS a premium service, and the reviews are top notch, fine. I’ll go with it. But I would have preferred it to be stand alone even at the same price as AM.
    So you you’d pay the same amount for classical stand alone as it would cost for an Apple Music subscription. But you refuse to get Apple Music AND classical for the that same price. OK. Makes perfect sense. 
    I don’t want the clutter. The first thing I do when I get a device is go through and delete the stuff I don’t want. I like my systems as clean and spartan as possible. So now it’ll be two apps when I only want one. 
    Bullshit. If you TRULY loved classical music, the existence of an extra icon wouldn’t be enough to dissuade you from downloading it. Period. Hide that evil, cluttery icon in the App Library or in the back of a folder somewhere or simply delete it, like everyone else. 
    FFS
    edited March 2023 gregoriusmSpitbathmelgrossmuthuk_vanalingamjeffharrisbyronl
  • Reply 28 of 82
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member

It’s not the number of tracks, it’s that the UX is different owing to some unique things about classical music. 
    It’s music. No need for separate UX. It’s just a way to justify a dedicated app. 

But let’s say that you have a point - for sake of argument. Apple could easily implement a class where the classical tab of Apple Music gets its own look and behavior. 

And yet none of that is necessary. 

A music app is a music app. 

If there is a better way to do it, then they should apply it to the app as a whole to benefit the entire thing. 

Searching for, curating, creating playlists, and playing classical music is fundamentally no different than doing so for any other genre. 

d_2
  • Reply 29 of 82
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member

It should be, but I understand why it isn’t. 
    Firstly, the search function sounds one hell of a lot better for classical than Apple Music, and the last thing classical listeners want is to have constant suggestions that they would really like some hiphop rubbish constantly being rammed down their throat on Apple Music.
    edited March 2023 mobirdbestkeptsecret
  • Reply 30 of 82
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    chutzpah said:
    danox said:
    igforbes said:
    DAalseth said:
    Apple Classical; YAY!
    So you you’d pay the same amount for classical stand alone as it would cost for an Apple Music subscription. But you refuse to get Apple Music AND classical for the that same price. OK. Makes perfect sense. 
    Apple Music isn’t that good… at any price, the interface for Classical however looks more refined, less clutter. And if it was separate, I would pay for it.
    So get the Classical app and delete the Music app?  The app is separate, its just the pricing that isn't.  So your complaint makes literally no sense, you're getting something you want at a price you like, and are moaning about having extras that you don't need to see or use.
    Don’t want any part of music whatsoever, I don’t want to give Apple Inc. a monetary reason to continue that monstrosity, that’s probably why they’re bundling it together because Apple Music isn’t doing as well as they would like. Could this be what the EU talking about bundling, tying in?
    edited March 2023
  • Reply 31 of 82

It’s not the number of tracks, it’s that the UX is different owing to some unique things about classical music. 
    It’s music. No need for separate UX. It’s just a way to justify a dedicated app. 

But let’s say that you have a point - for sake of argument. Apple could easily implement a class where the classical tab of Apple Music gets its own look and behavior. 

If there is a better way to do it, then they should apply it to the app as a whole to benefit the entire thing. 

Searching for, curating, creating playlists, and playing classical music is fundamentally no different than doing so for any other genre. 

Tell us you don’t know anything about classical music without saying you don’t know anything about classical music. 
    gregoriusm9secondkox2OferSpitbathstompymuthuk_vanalingamdjames4242mrstepjeffharrisbyronl
  • Reply 32 of 82
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    I’ve been wishing for a while that they would restore the optical output that used to be included with Apple TV, which would also make it a lot easier to connect your Apple TV to an external DAC or other stereo components that don’t have HDMI. Almost no DACs take HDMI input, and if you invest big money on one of the few that does, it will start to be obsolete as soon as they update the HDMI spec, whereas optical digital signals don’t run that risk in the same way. If you want to use a high-end DAC from 10+ years ago with HDMI, it won’t pass through a 4K signal or HDR. I know you can solve this problem with a splitter or extractor, but it’s still inelegant and there aren’t a lot of great options there either.

The fact that Apple is doubling down on hi-res audio does seem like generally a good indicator that they care about this stuff, and maybe they will also find a way to extend AirPlay to support higher bit rates, especially if people have to run the app on their iPhones.
    My 4K Atmos Recvr has HDMI 2.1 and can do 4K 120 Atmos, and also plays 96KHz and 192KHz. The AppleTV just doesn't have this ON!!!! erg... (But Spatial/Atmos audio plays...)
    Ofergregoriusm
  • Reply 33 of 82

Yeah?  How often do you care about the composer of a pop music song?  How often do you care about the conductor or the orchestra?  How often do you care about the venue or the date of the performance?  How often do you care about what key it is in?  How often is a pop album divided by suites?

The considerations of classical music productions for classical music fans are very different than the considerations of pop music for pop music fans and for very good reasons.  You clearly don't know anything about this, so wind your neck in.
    AppleZulu9secondkox2OfergregoriusmSpitbathstompyRudeBoyRudymrstepjeffharrisbyronl
  • Reply 34 of 82
    chutzpah said:

Um… let’s start with downloading another app snd go from there…

should be in the Apple Music app itself. No need for another app just to listen to a genre. 
    edited March 2023
  • Reply 35 of 82
    chutzpah said:

Um… let’s start with downloading an app snd go from there…

should be in the Apple Music app itself. No need for another app just to listen to a genre. 
    Want to listen to classical music?

Your solution:
    1. Open Apple Music
    2. Navigate to Classical tab
    3. Find the classical work you want

Apple's solution
    1. Open Apple Classical Music
    2. Find the classical work you want.

Tell me again how Apple's solution has more steps?  Your thinking is what leads to Outlook combining email, calendar and contacts into one app, or iTunes having movies, tv shows, podcasts, and iDevice syncing.  "Just add a tab".
    gregoriusmmuthuk_vanalingammacguibyronl
  • Reply 36 of 82

So would people who are “serious” about heavy metal, rock, rap, hip-hop, etc. but they are all managed just fine as-is. 

No matter how “serious” you are about a music genre, it’s still a music genre. And that fits neatly with all the other genres in apples music app. 

If there were some shortcoming with the music app, then it would need to be redesigned (again). But it’s pretty good today snd suits all the needs of classical music lovers to browse, discover, curate, and listen. 

S

Maybe Metallica will get its legions to lobby for s heavy metal app with its own ui/UX. So woefully underserved by Apple Music… 

/sarcasm. 
    d_2
  • Reply 37 of 82

So would people who are “serious” about heavy metal, rock, rap, hip-hop, etc. but they are all managed just fine as-is. 

No matter how “serious” you are about a music genre, it’s still a music genre. And that fits neatly with all the other genres in apples music app. 

If there were some shortcoming with the music app, then it would need to be redesigned (again). But it’s pretty good today snd suits all the needs of classical music lovers to browse, discover, curate, and listen. 

S

Maybe Metallica will get its legions to lobby for s heavy metal app with its own ui/UX. So woefully underserved by Apple Music… 

/sarcasm. 
    What's the significant difference between heavy metal and other pop music?  Compare with the list I've already provided for classical music and tell me they're similar.  You have no idea what you're talking about.
    OfergregoriusmSpitbathstompymuthuk_vanalingamtenthousandthingsjeffharrisbyronl
  • Reply 38 of 82
    chutzpah said:

Yeah?  How often do you care about the composer of a pop music song?  How often do you care about the conductor or the orchestra?  How often do you care about the venue or the date of the performance?  How often do you care about what key it is in?  How often is a pop album divided by suites?

The considerations of classical music productions for classical music fans are very different than the considerations of pop music for pop music fans and for very good reasons.  You clearly don't know anything about this, so wind your neck in.
    Like I said before, that info is nearly enabled by links and/or accordin elements right on the music page. It’s not a big deal nor is it some amazingly impossible thing that requires its own app. 

Next you’ll be saying a web browser isn’t good enough to read about a composer and that you need a classical music themed web browser…

you clearly don’t understand how tech works to enable the enjoyment of various music genres and want the world to cater to whatever preference you have, you you can tuck your own neck back into that shell and come out when it’s safe for non-thinkers.  
    edited March 2023 d_2
  • Reply 39 of 82
    entropys said:

It should be, but I understand why it isn’t. 
    Firstly, the search function sounds one hell of a lot better for classical than Apple Music, and the last thing classical listeners want is to have constant suggestions that they would really like some hiphop rubbish constantly being rammed down their throat on Apple Music.
    Fixed by limiting search to s specific genre. Something apple could easily do, yet they make it so complicated currently that you have to go through a process to get it done. Better to add this feature as a filter next to the search field for all genres. 

Country music lovers don’t want heavy metal and vice versa. 

You don’t need a separate app for every genre. Already dividing classic from everything else is just begging to create a mess. Already a separate app for MUSIC is asinine. 

Bottom line: Is it music? Then it belongs in the music app. 

A nice list of music genres from Google:

Looks like classical is there. So it’s a music genre. Apple Music is set up for that. 
    edited March 2023 d_2
  • Reply 40 of 82
    chutzpah said:

Like I said before, that info is nearly enabled by links and/or accordin elements right on the music page. It’s not a big deal nor is it some amazingly impossible thing that requires its own app. 

Next you’ll be saying a web browser isn’t good enough to read about a composer and that you need a classical music themed web browser…

you clearly don’t understand how tech works to enable the enjoyment of various music genres and want the world to cater to whatever preference you have, you you can tuck your own neck back into that shell and come out when it’s safe for non-thinkers.  
    The fact that Apple has spent over a year and a lot of money to create a Classical Music app says you’re wrong. 
    Ofer9secondkox2Spitbathstompymuthuk_vanalingamRudeBoyRudymacguijeffharrisbyronl