Apple will launch HomePod with 7-inch screen in 2024, says Kuo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2023
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicts that revamped HomePod will ship in the first half of 2024 and feature a built-in 7-inch screen from a new supplier currently making Android displays.

Apple has been reportedly working on HomePods with screens before, perhaps bringing together the smart speaker with Apple TV+. Kuo doesn't detail what the screen could be used for, but he does now put a date on its launch.

AppleApple / Tianma is set to debut in Apple's supply chain, becoming a new beneficiary of Apple's revamped smart home strategyhttps://t.co/WA2qAnt95o

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)
In his fuller post on Medium, Kuo specifies that Tianma will make a 7-inch display panel.

"I predict that Apple will unveil a redesigned HomePod featuring a 7-inch panel in 1H24, with Tianma as the exclusive panel supplier," he says. "The HomePod, which equips a panel, could enable tighter integration with Apple's other hardware products, marking a significant shift in the company's smart home strategy."

The backing for Kuo's prediction appears to be information that Apple "is set to debut in Apple's supply chain, becoming a new beneficiary of Apple's revamped smart home strategy."

Kuo will often say that his reports are based on his industry surveys, and this time he is careful to solely say that he is making a prediction. It is an informed prediction, however, based on his years of working with the supply chain.

That experience is probably all that is behind his other comments about Tianma's future with Apple.

"Tianma's long-term prospects in Apple's supply chain look promising," he writes. "It's poised to follow the growth path of BYD Electronics or BOE by starting with low-end products and gradually increasing its shipment allocation, and obtaining higher-end products through technology capacility upgrades."

"Tianma's next orders from Apple may be iPad panels if the shipment goes well," he surmises.

In 2022, Kuo did correctly predict that Apple would release a new HomePod model in late 2022 or, as it turned out, early 2023.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    Wow Apple will finally have their TV set /s
    watto_cobrachasmwilliamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Ohh…it took only 6 years for visionary Cook to be reached by Phil Schiller who said that HomePods would need a screen (in 2017…)
    uraharahmurchisonelijahgwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 40
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    Does a decent speaker need front firing mid and high drivers... ?
    How does this rate for industrial design ?
    Might this actually be a case study for a touch bar ?
    Is it time for Mr. Cook to retire, or hire the next Steve Jobs as his boss ?
    pulseimageselijahgwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 40
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    7 inch screen might be too big for the current HomePod. 
    It would make more sense if the speaker would be bigger, similar to BOWERS AND WILKINS ZEPPELIN or NAIM AUDIO MU-SO. 
    Could it be that Apple will come up with a new form factor for HomePod?
    pulseimageswilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 40
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,009member
    I wonder how many times Kuo will be able to change this “prediction” and still be considered “correct”?
    mike1lkrupppulseimagesbala1234jeffharriswatto_cobrachasmlolliver
  • Reply 6 of 40
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    A slightly smaller iPad mini....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I’ll put this away with Kuo’s constant predictions of an Apple branded HDTV some years ago.
    pulseimagesjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Does a decent speaker need front firing mid and high drivers... ?
    How does this rate for industrial design ?
    Might this actually be a case study for a touch bar ?
    Is it time for Mr. Cook to retire, or hire the next Steve Jobs as his boss ?
    Well, obviously you took the kludged photo as representative of the actual product. Nothing could be further from the truth. If such a product were to be released it wouldn’t look like the classic HomePod at all.
    Scot1StrangeDaysanonymousewatto_cobrawilliamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Hope it doesn’t look like that. Hope it is flush in the speaker and that will probably require flexible OLED.

pulseimageswatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 40
    neillwdneillwd Posts: 45member
    I have one of those. It is called an iPad on a Stand. 
    sflagelwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Ideal product to me would be a device that looks barely more than a thicker display.    The speakers would be hidden to the point where you wouldn't really know they exist. 

People may make the assumption that Homepod's must be dedicated to music but nothing in the name "Home or Pod" suggests that Audio must remain the primary focus.   This device will likely have a Facetime camera with Center Stage,   function as a Homekit Camera display and be the device that Apple needs to push Shareplay functionality forward.  

Is Apple "late to party" here?  Yes, very late I absolutely love my Google home hubs.  While they haven't made using Google services more appealing (I often dream about having the same form factor but leveraging my Apple services) they have confirmed to me the value of this form factor. 

My home,  we'd buy at least 3,  probably 4-5 and they'll make great Matter Border Routers or network extenders 
    gatorguyAlex1Nwatto_cobragilly33byronl
  • Reply 12 of 40
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    This would be awesome. No need to play from some other device. Just go to the speaker with Apple Music account set up and play what I want. 

Would be cool if it doubled as a small screen Apple TV also to watch during meal prep. 
    watto_cobragilly33
  • Reply 13 of 40
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Not sure what to think about this. But...what could happen if it has an ethernet/LAN port on it, hum? New airport? Remember: the iMac has its ethernet port on the power brick. 
    iOS_Guy80watto_cobraScot1
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    Not this design. The screen will be on the top just as it is now, only touch and interactive. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobrawilliamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 15 of 40
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    Already have this. It’s called an iPad. The advantage of my setup is I can actually read/see the screen from my armchair.
    sflageljeffharriswatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 40
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Scot1 said:
    Not this design. The screen will be on the top just as it is now, only touch and interactive. 
    I would certainly prefer the screen mounted on top on a tilting & swiveling base over the bolted to the front rendering. Don't want to mess up the acoustics.  

I'm still hoping that Apple does at least one Apple TV version in a sound bar form factor that incorporates the same kind of audio signal processing wizardry from the HomePod along with support for wireless subwoofer and wireless (rear) satellite speakers - possibly being HomePod minis. Still has all of the traditional Apple TV functionality, including Siri. Call this something like Apple MediaPod. It would support everything that both the current Apple TV and HomePod support when the TV is turned on. It would function as a HomePod when the TV is off. A Siri Remote would support all MediaPod functions including turning the attached TV on and off.

Alongside that one, release a smaller version, still a sound bar form factor, called the Apple MediaPod mini that is about the same width as the largest iPad (currently the 12.9" but who knows what's next). The MediaPod mini version would have a magnetic Smart Connector attachment for iPads that's very similar to the Magic Keyboard mounting scheme. The docked iPad would provide all of the display functionality that a TV provides for a the full sized Apple MediaPod. Because it uses an iPad for the video it would also charge the mounted iPad and route the iPad audio to the MediaPod mini. The MediaPod mini would function as a HomePod mini when the iPad is turned off. I suppose it could also support wireless sub and satellites and allow the Siri Remote to control everything in addition to the iPad's screen being a touch interface for all functions including the Apple TV capability. The MediaPod mini would basically allow you to have a mini  home theatre on your desk.

Both units would support HDMI eARC so you could use a spare monitor, PIP input to your monitor, or secondary HDMI input for video with either unit.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 40
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    lwio said:
    Already have this. It’s called an iPad. The advantage of my setup is I can actually read/see the screen from my armchair.
    Cool. This device is so you can walk around the house without having to carry your iPad with you everywhere. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 40
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

Is Apple "late to party" here?  Yes, very late I absolutely love my Google home hubs.  While they haven't made using Google services more appealing (I often dream about having the same form factor but leveraging my Apple services) they have confirmed to me the value of this form factor. 

My home,  we'd buy at least 3,  probably 4-5 and they'll make great Matter Border Routers or network extenders 
    I’m not on Google, but I share the same sentiments about my Echo Shows. There are many features they offer that I won’t touch, because you know…Amazon? But if I could set up an Apple equivalent device with all those features I’m afraid to trust to Amazon, I would get 3-4 immediately. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 40
    omasouomasou Posts: 575member
    I don't see the need.

I use my iPad when on the couch.

I use my HomePods when walking around or I need something done, turn off lights.

I don't need a screen on my music speaker. Never did. Never will.
    Alex1Nwilliamlondondesignr
  • Reply 20 of 40
    tpurdytpurdy Posts: 40member
    Meanwhile, use my Apple TV’s screen pls…
    edited March 2023 watto_cobra