Meta cuts another 10,000 jobs in 'year of efficiency'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Facebook owner Meta is almost doubling the number of employees that is laying off that it previously announced, and also plans to leave many further jobs that it has advertised, vacant.

As recently predicted, Meta's new job cuts come after the company laid off 13% of its workforce in November 2022. Together with the latest redundancies, it means Facebook and Meta is cutting 21,000 employees.

Alongside the layoffs, Meta also says that it will be leaving some 5,000 posts vacant. According to BBC News, CEO Mark Zuckerberg has said that the company's recruitment teams will be affected by the cuts.

"We will let recruiting team members know tomorrow whether they're impacted," Zuckerberg said in a memo. "We expect to announce restructurings and layoffs in our tech groups in late April 2023, and then our business groups in late May 2023."

"In a small number of cases," he continued, "it may take through to the end of the year to complete these changes."

Zuckerberg said this in a message to all staff, in which he also described the cuts as "tough," and that they were necessary as part of a "year of restructuring."

The cuts will also affect employees around the world. "Our timelines for international teams will also look different," Zuckerberg said, "and local leaders will follow up with more details."

Facebook and Meta's two rounds of layoffs mean that it now exceeds Amazon's 18,000 redundancies. Given that Amazon has paused construction on it's Virginia second headquarters, there may be more coming from them as well.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Facebook / Meta could save themselves the time and trouble and money just by booting Zuck and his metaverse.  

magman1979kestralbaconstangStrangeDayslolliverBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 28
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    "I don't wanna stop being a dick and following my ego with this metaverse wet dream, so I'm gonna ruin people's livelihoods instead!"

This guy is VILE!
    kestralwilliamlondonbaconstanglolliverBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 28
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    Facebook is toxic. And it starts at the top. They have to chuck the Zuck.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 28
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    If they were to fire everybody working to make the world a worse place, and kept only those working to make the world a better place (or at least doing no harm), I think they could get down to maybe 2k employees. The only real good that comes from Facebook is sharing pictures with grandparents and saying happy birthday to people. You don't need tons of folks to run a site that does that. The rest of it is anti-social manipulation. 
    muthuk_vanalingamhydrogenStrangeDayslollivercincyteeFileMakerFellerBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 28
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    I’m just gonna drop this here (it’s a video about how all these so-called tech geniuses really aren’t)

https://youtu.be/oVj4kZF-Fgk

rezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 28
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    One could argue that the earlier cuts were the fat.
    Now they are into the muscle and bone.
    This is not a healthy company. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Laying people off isn't "tough". It's the easy way out for corporate executives. It immediately makes the numbers look better and provides cover for a lack of ideas about how to improve products/services to increase revenue. 
    DAalsethOferwilliamlondondanoxStrangeDayslollivercincyteeFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,359member
    Restructuring I understand. Companies change focus or decide to abandon products that under-perform, consolidate operations, etc.

But efficiencies and redundancies? Does anyone else wonder why a company would have kept personal around that it describes as being in those roles in the first place?

As a business, even when the money is flowing and the bottom line is looking fabulous, wouldn't you still want to focus on optimizing and reducing unnecessary work and waste? Isn't the tolerance of inefficiency and waste totally against the whole premise and principles of things like Lean and continuous improvement?

From a human aspect, the efficiency and redundancy argument is like telling a laid-off employee that they were being kept around, for a time at least, even though they were redundant and/or not performing up to expectations? Allowing that to occur and not doing anything proactive about it is cruel and dishonest, regardless of whether the company is doing well or not. Being kept around is an implicit assertion that you are doing what the company expects of you.

The blame for these layoffs falls entirely on the leadership and management of Meta/Facebook. They screwed up and steered the business into risky waters. Now the employees who once trusted them to do the right thing are paying the price for their leader's and manager's incompetence and lack of true compassion. Compassion starts with being truthful and not placing others in harms way. Allowing inefficiencies and redundancies to exist in the first place, not to mention not taking proper measures to mitigate known risks, of which there were plenty, was a recipe for failure of their own making.
    muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDayschadbagFileMakerFellerAlex_VBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    kestral said:
    Well, a lot of people right here want to Toss the Tim. Neither is going to happen. 
    bala1234williamlondonFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 28
    bala1234bala1234 Posts: 144member
    "I don't wanna stop being a dick and following my ego with this metaverse wet dream, so I'm gonna ruin people's livelihoods instead!"

This guy is VILE!

I support the sentiment. But just to give a perspective from other side, with ATT decimating their ad revenue (Yay!) he had to pivot. It is also well documented that he wants to pivot to something where another company cannot control its fortunes as much as Apple does now.  Question still is if metaverse is the answer... but he has absolute control over the company and he's made his choice...
    edited March 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 28
    dewme said:
    Restructuring I understand. Companies change focus or decide to abandon products that under-perform, consolidate operations, etc.

But efficiencies and redundancies? Does anyone else wonder why a company would have kept personal around that it describes as being in those roles in the first place?

As a business, even when the money is flowing and the bottom line is looking fabulous, wouldn't you still want to focus on optimizing and reducing unnecessary work and waste? Isn't the tolerance of inefficiency and waste totally against the whole premise and principles of things like Lean and continuous improvement? 
    I am in agreement with much of what you say and I just wanted to add that I find it dumbfounding that a quarter of their staff was redundant and inefficient. This is definitely not a hallmark of a well run business. Have they offered any reason other than these blanket statements of redundant and inefficiency? I find it difficult to believe that a company that has this much fat to cut, understands any other part of their business well. 🤷‍♂️ 
    williamlondonchadbagFileMakerFellerAlex_VBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 28
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    JP234 said:
    Facebook in 2025 will resemble AOL today. No one under 65 will still use it.
    We can hope.
    JP234FileMakerFellerAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 28
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    NOW would be a good time for Musk to step in, buy Meta, and show Zuck how it's done!
    InspiredCoderezwitswilliamlondonFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    NOW would be a good time for Musk to step in, buy Meta, and show Zuck how it's done!
    lol

lkrupp said:
    kestral said:
    Well, a lot of people right here want to Toss the Tim. Neither is going to happen. 
    One of these CEOs is not like the other. Apple’s financial health, driven largely by hardware, is a league apart from Facebook’s ad business. How long will Zuck be allowed to flounder 
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonbaconstangFileMakerFellerAlex_VBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 28
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    lol

lkrupp said:
    kestral said:
    One of these CEOs is not like the other. Apple’s financial health, driven largely by hardware, is a league apart from Facebook’s ad business. How long will Zuck be allowed to flounder 
    I'm no fan of Meta but it does have some serious engineering chops that often go unnoticed. 

In the booming business of undersea communications infrastructure, it is doing quite well. The Echo and Bifrost cables are decent examples (and have Google as partner). It has others with Microsoft. 

Like Google and Amazon, data centers are another example. 

edited March 2023 muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 16 of 28
    I guess Zuck will need to increase their 50% digital store tax on the metaverse to make ends meet.
    baconstangBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 28
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    bala1234 said:

This guy is VILE!

I support the sentiment. But just to give a perspective from other side, with ATT decimating their ad revenue (Yay!) he had to pivot. It is also well documented that he wants to pivot to something where another company cannot control its fortunes as much as Apple does now.
    How about creating a real product that people would actually pay money for instead of being propped up by data harvesting and advertising?

One of these CEOs is not like the other. Apple’s financial health, driven largely by hardware, is a league apart from Facebook’s ad business.
    Exactly. Real products which don't need spyware to be profitable.

avon b7 said:
    I'm no fan of Meta but it does have some serious engineering chops that often go unnoticed. 

In the booming business of undersea communications infrastructure, it is doing quite well. The Echo and Bitfrost cables are decent examples (and have Google as partner). It has others with Microsoft. 

Like Google and Amazon, data centers are another example. 
    Again, real products. I've been waiting for the era of advertisers masquerading as tech companies to come to an end.
    williamlondonBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Ah yes, he could rename it TwitBook
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 28
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    Well, maybe all those people can find a job that actually contributes something to society.
    williamlondonbaconstang9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 28
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    Ah yes, he could rename it TwitBook
    That's nice, though I was thinking 'Face-X'.
    9secondkox2FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra