iPhone 15 Pro will have blistering performance, claims leaked benchmarks

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2023
A benchmark leak claiming to be for the upcoming A17 chip claim that the iPhone 15 Pro will be extremely powerful -- but there are big reasons to be skeptical.

The A17 chip in the iPhone 15 Pro will be fast, but how fast exactly?
The A17 chip in the iPhone 15 Pro will be fast, but how fast exactly?

As the generations change, Apple's chips get faster and more powerful, which is visualized in benchmark results. However, sometimes the results can be a little too high to be realistic.

One such leak arrived on Monday, in a post by "@Tech_Reve" republishing details from Weibo. The information was apparently Geekbench scores for the A17 chip, the next step in Apple's mobile chip series expected to land in the iPhone 15 Pro models.

According to the tweet, the A17 running in Geekbench 6 scored 3,019 points in the single-core test, and 7,860 on the multi-core version.

While the A17 is expected to be on the new 3nm process with speed and efficiency improvements, these numbers still seemunrealistic, at least when compared to scores of previous A-series generations.

For a start, the 3,019 score is over 500 more than the current-top A16 Bionic chip in the iPhone 14 Pro, a 20.6% jump in performance year-on-year. However, looking at the A14 against the A13 and the A13 against the A12, the jumps are 10.8% and 10.6% respectively.

The multi-core score has the same issue, but is a little bit higher at a 24% year-on-year jump, while the A16 improved 16.3% and the A15 17.4%.

Geekbench browser scores for the Pro models of iPhone, comparing A-series chips against the rumored figures.
Geekbench browser scores for the Pro models of iPhone, comparing A-series chips against the rumored figures.

While you would expect a performance boost each year, the amount doesn't usually jump as much as the rumored figures propose. Apple's typical 10% jump is still considerable for its chips, but 20% would be a bit of a stretch.

Add in that this is a rumor based on an unverified Weibo post with no real proof or even a Geekbench screenshot to support it, and it becomes less believable as rumors go. Based on history, it's also too early for engineering validation test iPhone 15 Pro models to be available for testing in such a manner.

Furthermore, we weren't able to find any entries in the Geekbench database that matched these results.

That's not to say Apple may come out with an A17 that is extremely powerful for this generation. AppleInsider has discussed at length Apple's chip gains over the years, and a 20% single-core performance jump has happened in the past.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    YaBoiNickYaBoiNick Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Can’t wait for this. My 14 Pro takes a blink of an eye to open apps. Unacceptable.
    jellybellyITGUYINSDMplsPaaplfanboyretrogustobluefire1AniMilldewmelkruppdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 25
    d_2d_2 Posts: 117member
    While the A17 is expected to be on the new 3nm process with speed and efficiency improvements, these numbers still seem unrealistic, at least when compared to scores of previous A-series generations.”

On what basis are the numbers unrealistic?  this product is one of the first made using a 3nm chip … EVER … and a 5nm to 3nm “jump” is a far bigger % size decrease than previous (ie 10 to 8)
    retrogusto9secondkox2JFC_PArezwitsBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    At least it's more believable than the 4000 single core score Max Tech ran with lol.  

At the higher end of an improvement this couuuld be believable with 3nm offering a big improvement over a few generations of 5nm, but this is also that timeframe of a lot of fake benchmarks, even if one shows up in the GB database sometimes it's later taken down as a fake and I don't see this one on there even. 
    williamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 25
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    d_2 said:
    On what basis are the numbers unrealistic?  this product is one of the first made using a 3nm chip … EVER … and a 5nm to 3nm “jump” is a far bigger % size decrease than previous (ie 10 to 8)
    Tell me you're not confidently just dividing the fabrication plant marketing name as an actual number... 

By the way, TSMC is noting it has a 10-15% performance improvement over N5, and .58 the area density, so it's a decent node jump but not the biggest size decrease ever and the fab names are mostly just marketing, 7nm had 30-50nm fin gate lengths and pitch lengths lol 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/18727/tsmcs-3nm-journey-slow-ramp-huge-investments-big-future
    edited March 2023 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    YaBoiNick said:
    Can’t wait for this. My 14 Pro takes a blink of an eye to open apps. Unacceptable.
    Well said! I’m constantly waiting for my iPhone 13 Pro to finish tasks. It wastes at least 650 milliseconds of my day. 

Clearly that Geekbench score under 3000 is the only thing left to improve with iPhones 
    muthuk_vanalingamAniMilllkrupp9secondkox2JP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    If there’s any truth to this then it’s a pre-production prototype and likely not yet down-clocked for real-life heat issues, so final product will have lower numbers.
    williamlondon9secondkox2FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    I don’t know guys. 

A previous supposed leak by MaxTech showed the A17 getting 38xx in single core and over 8xxx in multi. 

The person who leaked it to them said it ran too hot in the iPhone enclosure at that super sayan power level, so they speculated it would have to drop down to 3000 and 7000 respectively. 

That’s lining up with this. 

People are forgetting the a16 and m2 series are stopgap chips, with barely any improvement over m1, just clocked higher. 

As Apple did not have enough time to implement new GPU features, everything outside of some registers and cache stayed mostly the same. 

A17/M3 has cpu architectural improvements, new GPU, and memory upgrades. It’s going to be a good leap from m2. 

In a phone enclosure, we won’t get to see full benefit, due to sever thermal constraints. But the m version, I’m a more generous space will have room to rip. 

It’s not like the iPhone desperately needs more power but it’s nice. The Mac, however, is going to really shine, especially in light of rivals who’ve cut corners to compete on performance. 
    williamlondonmobirdBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    tipoo said:
    At least it's more believable than the 4000 single core score Max Tech ran with lol.  

At the higher end of an improvement this couuuld be believable with 3nm offering a big improvement over a few generations of 5nm, but this is also that timeframe of a lot of fake benchmarks, even if one shows up in the GB database sometimes it's later taken down as a fake and I don't see this one on there even. 
    You’re leaving out the part where they mentioned the SOC was too hot in the phone enclosure, so they mentioned it would be backed down to around 3000, 

people are acting as it the 3nm jump (which is a massive deal in itself) is the only upgrade to A and M series this gen. It’s not. 
    williamlondonrezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It used to be that Apple had a 100% leap, then a 75% leap, then down to 50% and later 40%, so no, it’s not unrealistic. Will it happen, who knows. Remember that Apple has been making those 10 to 12% jumps on the same process. Now, 3nm is supposed to be a major improvement.
    9secondkox2JFC_PAFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 820member
    designr said:
    The real question is what will Apple use this additional performance capability for?
    Exactly right. But it's worth remembering that Apple keeps upping the processor horsepower of the iPad with no real use for it other than marketing. 
    muthuk_vanalingamdesignrwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I don’t know guys. 

A previous supposed leak by MaxTech showed the A17 getting 38xx in single core and over 8xxx in multi. 

The person who leaked it to them said it ran too hot in the iPhone enclosure at that super sayan power level, so they speculated it would have to drop down to 3000 and 7000 respectively. 

That’s lining up with this. 

People are forgetting the a16 and m2 series are stopgap chips, with barely any improvement over m1, just clocked higher. 

As Apple did not have enough time to implement new GPU features, everything outside of some registers and cache stayed mostly the same. 

A17/M3 has cpu architectural improvements, new GPU, and memory upgrades. It’s going to be a good leap from m2. 

In a phone enclosure, we won’t get to see full benefit, due to sever thermal constraints. But the m version, I’m a more generous space will have room to rip. 

It’s not like the iPhone desperately needs more power but it’s nice. The Mac, however, is going to really shine, especially in light of rivals who’ve cut corners to compete on performance. 
    I haven’t seen that leak from MaxTech yet, but you might want to keep checking back for them to inevitably change their minds. Then, change it again. Referencing MaxTech is a risky proposition. 
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    The old adage is true - nothing upsets an Android user more that talking about Apple processors.

If this score is real (or even close) they’re going to have a meltdown.
    lkruppwilliamlondonrezwitsFileMakerFellerBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    JP234 said:
    Will I have to talk faster now? Will speed dial take less than the quarter second it does now on my 2020 SE? Will I be able to watch a two hour movie in one hour?

It's a PHONE, not a supercomputer, or a game console.
    I sorta get the faux-outrage, but for many, their "phone" is their only device. They do indeed use it as a computer and a game console. 

charlesn said:
    designr said:
    The real question is what will Apple use this additional performance capability for?
    Exactly right. But it's worth remembering that Apple keeps upping the processor horsepower of the iPad with no real use for it other than marketing. 
    I'm not completely sure about this, as it seems reasonable to invest in chip improvements, and when they are available, use them as widely across the entire product line. Why have assembly lines for multiple products when one can make all the necessary components for all products? But as other have commented, I don't see this minor upgrade as a selling point to upgrade from 14 to 15. That said...it *is* a selling point for me, as I will be going to the 15 from my current Xr. I expect a noticeable upgrade in overall performance...even if I am not making movies or photoshopping on it.
    lkruppFileMakerFellerBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    y2any2an Posts: 187member
    I might not be surprised by the boost, and of course this is only a fraction of the processing power on the entire SoC. What will Apple do with all that extra power? Run their yet-to-be-seen XR headset, I suspect. Apple doesn’t do things in isolation. Look sideways. 
    9secondkox2FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    Hopefully it isn't blistering literally. Heat can do that!

3000 GB6 single is a wonderful score. It's a great score for a phone, a tablet, a laptop, and a desktop. Also a great score for a server, but single core performance isn't that important for servers.

I know people want to "WIN!" We've already won in terms of CPU performance. Just slow and steady. 10% to 15% every year is fine. Where people need wins are probably 16 GB of RAM base (don't give them a choice of staying at 8 GB), and low latency caches and memory. An order of magnitude increase in random storage reads/writes, so lots of room here. Probably 128 GB base storage on phones, 512 GB base storage on Macs. Lastly, 100 MByte/s upstream and downstream Internet for everyone.
    muthuk_vanalingammobirdFileMakerFellerBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Bla,Bla,Bla! Earth shattering performance? all good!  I am interested in under screen Touch ID and emergency two way satellite messaging.
    rezwits
  • Reply 17 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Are people really complaining about poor performance on current or even the last 2 gen iPhones? I bet most wouldn't even see a difference in performance between an iPhone 12 Pro and the current iPhone. 
    JP234FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    I just want to see the "trickle over" effect to the M3 Mac Mini PRO!!
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 155member
    Don't know what version of Geekbench they are running, but Geekbench 5 for the iPhone 13 Pro is 1,745 for Single-Core and 4,796 for Multi-Core.  So if that is a newer version of Geekbench, they changed the scale to give it higher numbers, as they claim the 13 Pro is 2,260 and 5,427.

Downloaded Geekbench 6 and my iPhone 13 Pro is now 2,275 for single, and 5,536 for multi.  Wonder why they changed the scale to make the numbers higher, when version 4 to 5 actually adjusted the scale for lower numbers.
    edited March 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Talking? 

How last millennia. 

Otoh a LOT of processor horsepower goes into the camera function these days. 
    edited March 2023 watto_cobra