New OLED iPad Pro will probably cost as much as a MacBook Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    lkrupp said:
    Every time the topic of price comes up the yapping starts. I spent $5K to replace my late 2013 27” iMac with a Mac Studio Max and Studio Monitor and I’m glad I did. This will be my primary machine for the foreseeable future.
    Sure. But that ain’t no tablet.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    danox said:
    kmarei said:
    Galaxy tab S8 + has a 12.4" oled screen and starts at $899 for Wi-Fi version
    and galaxy tab s8 ultra has a 14.6" oled screen and starts at $1099
    ipads are already pricier than their competitors 
    I doubt many people would buy it at laptop prices 
    Samsung doesn’t care about quality if they can get away with selling you cheaper that’s part of the difference between Samsung and Apple, if Apple wants two layers, it’s probably because they’re trying to make up for the inherent problems of oled.
    I use an iPad as my main home machine, in fact typing on it right now, and am buying the current iPad Pro today in fact. 
    But it is unfair to say that the Galaxy Tab is poor quality. It is not. It is a very, very well built tablet that is held back by its OS. And the people I know who have one are very happy with it.  

It is possible to design and overengineer a product into uselessness or poor value for money.  See 2013 Mac Pro; G4 Cube.
    edited March 2023 muthuk_vanalingamelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 37
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    The question no one seems to be asking is what features will trickle down to the more affordable models IF this rumor is true. Maybe if the Pro’s get double layer OLED, the Air might get FaceiD and a Pro Motion display. I have serious doubts that those listed prices are accurate…but if they are then many customers will be forced down line. I suspect Apple will soften the blow for us with an expanded feature set for the Air. But again, these prices seem way too high to be correct. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 37
    I understand the “apple tax” and live with it.
    I just swapped out my iPP gen 2 for a gen 6. Most of the opinions offered up on the gen 6 are that it’s not a significant upgrade. I beg to differ, but then I moved up from the 2 to the 6. Big difference!
    Trade-in was $175. However, the look on the face of a young, budding artist who was unaware of what I had planned all along made it well worth it when I handed her my older iPad and all of the accessories for it, all charged up, ready to go. She could never afford such a setup, yet!
    Thanks to these pricing considerations Apple is making right now about the components going into the next gen products that are about to be released in the next 18-24 months just underscores the reasoning behind the “Apple tax”.
    These products are VERY robust with usefulness that exceeds the copycats that have popped up in the marketplace.
    Who remembers the Shuffle? I won one of those decades ago and the thing still works just as well today as it did new. We’ve ALL got older Apple products just sitting around in a drawer or on a shelf that will still fire up and run. Yeah, much slower with less functionality, but they’ll still do what they were designed to do.
    Less so with most of the competition, and, of course, YMMV.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 37
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member
     Chances of this actually happening:  5%

Apple is not going to double the price of an iPad Pro in one step.  It will be more the “slow boil the lobsters” kind of thing 
    edited March 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 37
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    lkrupp said:
    Every time the topic of price comes up the yapping starts. I spent $5K to replace my late 2013 27” iMac with a Mac Studio Max and Studio Monitor and I’m glad I did. This will be my primary machine for the foreseeable future.
    Ok?  Would you have paid double the price of the Studio Monitor for an OLED version?
    elijahg
  • Reply 27 of 37
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    red oak said:
     Chances of this actually happening:  5%

Apple is not going to double the price of an iPad Pro in one step.  It will be more the “slow boil the lobsters” kind of thing 
    Yes and then they release new products at the higher price point not change the price of an existing product leaving it in place or even dropping slightly. They build to price points. 

If they can't get the screen tech within the existing price point it just won't happen this version. 
    danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 161member
    Apple thinking an OLED screen will save the day for the iPad with an $1800 price, while leaving it crippled with iPadOS that cannot even take advantage of the CPU, and no pro level apps available for it, not even Apple's own pro apps.  Final Cut Pro, buy a Mac.
    muthuk_vanalingamentropyselijahg
  • Reply 29 of 37
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    entropys said:
    danox said:
    kmarei said:
    Samsung doesn’t care about quality if they can get away with selling you cheaper that’s part of the difference between Samsung and Apple, if Apple wants two layers, it’s probably because they’re trying to make up for the inherent problems of oled.
    I use an iPad as my main home machine, in fact typing on it right now, and am buying the current iPad Pro today in fact. 
    But it is unfair to say that the Galaxy Tab is poor quality. It is not. It is a very, very well built tablet that is held back by its OS. And the people I know who have one are very happy with it.  

It is possible to design and overengineer a product into uselessness or poor value for money.  See 2013 Mac Pro; G4 Cube.
    Samsung and LG are very good companies but they are in a different market than Apple. They have many more low margin companies, competing against them, and they continue to show that if left to their own devices, the monitor you get in comparison to the Apple one is going to be at a lower level.

Apple Curation at its best but it won’t be cheap. (See link at reply 20.)

edited March 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Applejacs said:
    I understand the “apple tax” and live with it.
    I just swapped out my iPP gen 2 for a gen 6. Most of the opinions offered up on the gen 6 are that it’s not a significant upgrade. I beg to differ, but then I moved up from the 2 to the 6. Big difference!
    Trade-in was $175. However, the look on the face of a young, budding artist who was unaware of what I had planned all along made it well worth it when I handed her my older iPad and all of the accessories for it, all charged up, ready to go. She could never afford such a setup, yet!
    Thanks to these pricing considerations Apple is making right now about the components going into the next gen products that are about to be released in the next 18-24 months just underscores the reasoning behind the “Apple tax”.
    These products are VERY robust with usefulness that exceeds the copycats that have popped up in the marketplace.
    Who remembers the Shuffle? I won one of those decades ago and the thing still works just as well today as it did new. We’ve ALL got older Apple products just sitting around in a drawer or on a shelf that will still fire up and run. Yeah, much slower with less functionality, but they’ll still do what they were designed to do.
    Less so with most of the competition, and, of course, YMMV.
    And I have younger relatives dropping hints. Isn’t it time for an upgrade? Don’t you need a new iPad Pro or iPhone Pro, if so, I can help you out with the old one?  :smile: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 37
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    The iPad Pro is one of the worst purchases I did. The price point vs what it offers is way out of proportions compared to a MacBook (Pro). I cannot imagine ever buying this again.
    It feels like a severely crippled productivity machine.

Unless you are a graphics artist using a pen, almost always an iPad or iPad Air is the better option. The cheaper the better, as long as storage is sufficient. The regular iPad is a much better product that is more in line with what people use it for, although they have made some poor choices with the last generation. 

If the iPad Pro is going to be more expensive, they are going to see a huge drop in units sold I think. 
    muthuk_vanalingamentropyselijahg
  • Reply 32 of 37
    The iPad Pro is one of the worst purchases I did. The price point vs what it offers is way out of proportions compared to a MacBook (Pro). I cannot imagine ever buying this again.
    It feels like a severely crippled productivity machine.

Unless you are a graphics artist using a pen, almost always an iPad or iPad Air is the better option. The cheaper the better, as long as storage is sufficient. The regular iPad is a much better product that is more in line with what people use it for, although they have made some poor choices with the last generation. 

If the iPad Pro is going to be more expensive, they are going to see a huge drop in units sold I think. 
    While I actually agree with all that with my head, I am still getting an IPP. Because I can, and why not? Who is to question this errant heart?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 37
    toganltoganl Posts: 8member
    Sounds like a ‘iPad Ultra’ would be priced like this.  Not iPad Pro. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 37
    entropys said:
    danox said:
    kmarei said:

Or the cube was before its time. Certainly Apple can now build something similar with the Apple Silicon chips and I don’t mean the current Max Headroom Mac, that wouldn’t have all the weaknesses that the cube had back in the day.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 37
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    DAalseth said:
    Dear Apple:
    When did you stop being The Computer for the Rest of Us? I mean, there has been the Apple Tax for ages, but for a long time if you matched feature for feature it would disappear. Now though you just keep driving prices up and up. I mean $3k laptops are cool and all, but even your Mini has climbed steeply. More importantly the price has become prohibitive for a lot of The Rest of Us.  When I got my M1 iPad Pro a bit over a year ago, I really had to scrape to make it. Now you are looking at ~20% above that? For an OLED display that few outside of the technoratti either want or could even tell the difference? Looks like my next iPad will be an Air. I’ll just have to deal with the small screen and that’s assuming you don’t double the price by the time I need to replace the one I have. The replacement for my iMac? Well the new iMac is great and all, but it’s outside of what I can swing. I’m eying a base Mini and external FW drives rather than your exorbitantly priced storage. Actually today I started pondering if for what I NEED the Mac for I might be able to get by with a cheap Linux box. I’d lose all the ‘nice’ functions I use the Mac for on the side, but I could get by.

Apple; you’re leaving The Rest of Us behind. 
    OMG, what utter horseshit. The mini dropped in price by $100 this last revision. The current model starts at $599 which is cheaper than the 2006 original mini which would be $740 today in 2023 dollars. You'll find this is fairly consistent across all products, and always has been.

Also the idea you really had to "scrape" to buy an iPad Pro when you would've been served just fine by a cheaper model is ridiculous. Do you think they're going to cancel the $329 iPad when they ostensibly release this expensive model? And everything in between? I hope you can "scrape" by when you're forced at gunpoint to buy an expensive iPad. 
  • Reply 36 of 37
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 211member
    netrox said:
    Definitely won't buy iPad Pro at that price. No way. 
    Completely agree. Insane pricing. Not for me.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    clemynx said:
    lkrupp said:
    Oh yes you spent much more money than the average person ever will on a single computer therefore no one can complain about prices ever. 

The world doesn’t revolve around you dear. 
    Those who complain about Apple prices have always had the option to buy a $500 PC. They think they are entitled to a cheap Mac. They are not. They also aspire to drive a Tesla model S but own a Honda Civic instead.
    edited March 2023