Battle of the sexes: Men and women like different iPhone models

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2023
Although there isn't much of an age difference in Apple device ownership, men and women prefer different iPhone models. Here's how they differ.

Men tend to prefer iPhone Pros
Men tend to prefer iPhone Pros

Apple device ownership is mainly similar across various age groups, although there are more iPhone owners than Mac and iPad. And a new report from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) reveals another difference in Apple customers.

The data shows that men are more likely to buy an iPhone Pro model, while women prefer regular models. However, both genders that were surveyed equally prefer the iPhone SE.

The numbers between genders aren't significantly different but reveal that 12% of female customers bought an iPhone 14 or 14 Plus, compared to 8% of male customers. Among men who purchased a new iPhone in 2022, 41% own either an iPhone 13 Pro/Max or iPhone 14 Pro/Max, as opposed to 33% of women.

The genders are more closely aligned for ownership of older iPhones, as 37% of male and female customers own an iPhone 12 or 13 in both base and mini models, and 7% of each gender owned an iPhone SE.

However, CIRP makes no assumptions about the cause of the gender disparity.

"We aren't going to explore broader gender questions about motivation behind iPhone choices," the firm writes. "Our database does not address ego, technology comfort, selfie habits, or hand-size issues relating to selecting a premium phone. We leave that speculation to the reader..."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    My wife and I are prime examples of this exact thing only with the Pro and Pro Max.  For my wife, who could have had the Max but chose the Pro, it came down to pocket size in her jogging pants and hand size.  For me, the longer battery life in the Max.
    edited March 2023 Bart Y9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    We both have 14 Pro Max.  She had an 11 Pro Max but was having LTE issues locally where the 5G service had no problems on my 14 Pro Max (which I upgraded to from XS Max).  We were going to wait until next year for her but the service issues (certain long stretches of the way to work no longer had usable LTE (??)).  

She likes the Max as she can use a larger font and still see a reasonable amount on screen. Older eyes…
    jeffharrisBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Women generally have smaller hands and the smaller iPhones are more comfortable in their hands.  Pocket sizes for women's clothes are more in tune with smaller hands - look around to see how many women have their phones in their hip pockets.  
    williamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    I was so glad to replace the dork-slab Xs with an actually pocketable 13 mini. 

I dread the day this one gives up the ghost and I have to go back to a fucking aircraft carrier, since they've stopped putting out pocket-sized models as of the 14. 
    SerqetrywilliamlondonJapheybaconstangartdentTRAG
  • Reply 5 of 14
    My wife prefers the Pro Max. I like the Pro. 

I'd like a Pro Max, but it's too big to integrate with all my stuff.
    Most of my pants have a side pocket on the leg that Pro fits into.
    I also have a few packs with pouches that the Pro fits into. For me, the Pro Max is just too big.

She does a lot of testing for work on the Pro max, so the bigger screen is perfect for what she needs.
    edited March 2023 Bart Y9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    My wife has a 12, and I have a 12 mini. For me, pocketability and weight was key. Anything I want to do on a larger screen I do on my iPad. She doesn’t use an iPad, and does a lot of work work on her phone out in the field, so she wanted the more portable larger screen. 
    sphericBart Ybaconstangjeffharrisartdentwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    i think another factor to consider is that many women usually have less disposable income than men. 

so perhaps women probably chose the best of the most affordable to them from the lineup of different models from previous to latest.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    My husband likes android, he would take a $100 android phone over Apple. I’ve tried, he won’t even try Apple. I had the 12 Pro Max, then went with the standard 13 missed the “pro” versions then just purchased the 14 pro. I’m a women, and I have very small hands even for a women. The pro is perfect size for my hands, I do miss the 12PM though. 
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Careful, AI. Don’t you know you’re not allowed to notice the differences between men and women in our culture today? LOL

my GF always goes for whatever model she thinks looks cute or accessorizes best with her wardrobe while I always buy the most capable model. 
    edited March 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Careful, AI. Don’t you know you’re not allowed to notice the differences between men and women in our culture today? LOL
    It’s so cute how the right wing‘s single joke is inevitably centered around imagining that somebody else gives a shit about their insensitivity and somehow wants to punish them for it. 

It’s as if they know they’re being assholes, and the only reason they are is because they get a rise out of pretending somebody else is angry about it, so that they themselves can play the victim. 
    edited March 2023 blastdoor
  • Reply 11 of 14
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    Most women are not athletic. They use purses. 14 Pro Max has bigger screen and is more useful and convenient. 
  • Reply 12 of 14
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    kenaustus said:
    Women generally have smaller hands and the smaller iPhones are more comfortable in their hands.  Pocket sizes for women's clothes are more in tune with smaller hands - look around to see how many women have their phones in their hip pockets.  
    Very few in my experience.  Most women I know have larger iPhones that they keep in their handbags.  It's the guys that favour the smaller phones because they fit better in pockets.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 14
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Interesting framing this as a battle between sex’s! I mean it doesn’t affect me in the slightest if someone I know has the phone that suits them but isn’t what I’d use. 

Battle makes it sound more volatile than just mild curiosity
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,281member

my GF always goes for whatever model she thinks looks cute or accessorizes best with her wardrobe while I always buy the most capable model. 
    Yeah, it’s well known women have smaller brains and bears can smell their periods, so combine that with their tiny hands and penis envy maybe they shouldn’t even be allowed to vote, really. But the woke mob says I’m the problem! Now I’m probably going to be cancelled. Why don’t girls like me? It’s not fair! [/s]