How to use ChatGPT on Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch
ChatGPT isn't limited to desktop -- here's how you can use ChatGPT directly from your wrist with your Apple Watch.

ChatGPT running on your Apple Watch
ChatGPT running on your Apple Watch

Petey, which was previously called WatchGPT before naming copyrights came into play, is an AI assistant available on the App Store for Apple Watch.

Petey on the Apple Watch App Store
Petey on the Apple Watch App Store

The app will run you $4.99 for a one-time purchase. It's Apple Watch only and has no iOS counterpart.

This app uses the ChatGPT API to generate responses directly from your wrist, without the need for your iPhone or Mac, and quickly share them.

Because of the natural language model, it's oftentimes more reliable than Siri who will often try to send you a link to Wikipedia.

{"@context":"https://schema.org/","@type":"VideoObject","name":"How to use ChatGPT on Apple Watch!","description":"Here is how you can finally use the incredible ChatGPT on your Apple Watch with the app Petey that includes voice control, spoken results, and the easy ability to share with friends via Message or Email!","thumbnailUrl":"https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IqJ0dsFeFi4/sddefault.jpg","uploadDate":"2023-03-17T15:46:11Z","duration":"PT3M49S","embedUrl":""}

How to use ChatGPT on Apple Watch with Petey

Using this ChatGPT client is as easy as it gets. You tap the text field where the Apple Watch's on-screen keyboard will appear. You can type out your message to Petey and it will respond within a few moments.

Asking ChatGPT with Petey to write a poem
Asking ChatGPT with Petey to write a poem

Rather than typing your question, you can use the microphone to dictate your query which we've found much easier. Petey will then read the answer to you if you have speech enabled.

Once you have a response, if you scroll to the bottom, you can share the results. Only the answer will be shared and not your initial query.

Share your results
Share your results

Petey has built-in sharing via Messages or email at the moment, including a list of recent message recipients to make sharing easy.

It requires an internet connection, watchOS 9, and an Apple Watch Series 4 or later.

You can also use ChatGPT natively on your Mac with the handy MacGPT app that you can read about in our hands-on.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Huh … installed Petey today and later got my first spontaneous Apple Watch reboot later this evening on my Ultra.
    edited March 2023 applebynature
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    Apple Watches (any watches, actually) are simply not fit for this sort of usage.  Too small for anything but the simplest requests, not enough battery.
    Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dumpyydumpyy Posts: 1member
    The better and cheaper solution would be to register for the ChatGPT API (when I did it months ago it was free, not sure if it has changed) and create a Siri Shortcut invoking ChatGPT so you can use it naturally with Siri. I checked the usage on my API account and IIRC it gives me a couple thousand queries before it ever charges, and then it is less than a dollar for more queries than I would ever need. 
    Alex1NJaiOh81
  • Reply 4 of 9
    kfury77kfury77 Posts: 47member
    I’m using Ask AI Apple Watch app by Sindre Sorhus https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ask-ai/id6446167837. Works great and is only $1.99
  • Reply 5 of 9
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    bonobob said:
    Apple Watches (any watches, actually) are simply not fit for this sort of usage.  Too small for anything but the simplest requests, not enough battery.
    I agree. My employer uses Okta  :s and I have Okta Verify on my Apple Watch. When I run up some Okta App, my Apple Watch basically says "Did you just try to sign in + some other useless sh*t" on the screen. The point is then I have to use the crown wheel to scroll the text up so I can reveal and touch "Yes its me". It's nice that Okta Verify can be loaded on an Apple Watch but did the %$#@ developers actually assess it for use-case ... no.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    It seems to me that ChatGPT has quite limited utility until it has access to current events.

For example, I asked the following: "How many Big 10 schools are still in the 2023 NCAA men’s basketball tournament?

Answer: "I'm sorry, but as an AI language model, I do not have access to real-time information. My training only goes up to September 2021, and I do not have the ability to browse the internet or access current news."

• Reply 7 of 9
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    felix01 said:
    It seems to me that ChatGPT has quite limited utility until it has access to current events.

For example, I asked the following: "How many Big 10 schools are still in the 2023 NCAA men’s basketball tournament?

Answer: "I'm sorry, but as an AI language model, I do not have access to real-time information. My training only goes up to September 2021, and I do not have the ability to browse the internet or access current news."
    There is no AI model in the world that will ever be sufficient to answer every convoluted question of people with an excess of time on their hands and a desire to outsmart a robot in the name of "limited utility".
    jony0
  • Reply 8 of 9
    felix01 said:

Bing's AI chatbot would have had your answer. It's literally ChatGPT + access to current info/web searches.