Facebook also launches blue-check Verified program

Posted:
in iOS
Meta's Facebook is rolling out its own verification program to users that gives access to a blue check mark and exclusive features, very similar to Twitter's paid offering.

Meta Verified
Meta Verified

The company announced the subscription service in February, and it's called Meta Verified. It's a way for people to show others they are who they claim to be, as it requires verification with a government-issued ID.

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg describes it as "a subscription service that lets you verify your account with a government ID, get a blue badge, get extra impersonation protection against accounts claiming to be you, and get direct access to customer support."

Features include a blue badge next to a user's name, proactive account protection from hackers, and various exclusive features, including stickers on Facebook, Instagram Stories, and Facebook Reels, as well as 100 Stars per month to show support for creators. Subscribers will also have direct account support from customer service.

People can sign up today for the verification process, which costs $14.99 per month on iOS and Android or $11.99 on the web. Unfortunately, it's currently only available in Australia, New Zealand, and the United States for people 18 years or older without an option for businesses.

How to get started with Facebook Verified

• Go to Settings on Facebook or Instagram.

• Click on Accounts Center, then Meta Verified.

• An option called "Meta Verified available" will appear under the name and profile photo once the service is live.

• Next, set up the payment method and provide a government-issued ID to upload.

Users must enable two-factor authentication on their accounts to be eligible for the service. Additionally, unless they want to go through the verification procedure again, Meta Verified subscribers won't be able to change their profile name, photo, username, or date of birth.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Oh yeah, like I’m going to give Meta a copy of my DL. 
    /s
    edited March 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobraJaiOh81
  • Reply 2 of 14
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,251member
    DAalseth said:

What the heck, here’s my car keys and ATM card as well. 
    RDWTXStrangeDayswilliamlondonradarthekatwatto_cobraJaiOh81
  • Reply 3 of 14
    RDWTXRDWTX Posts: 7member
    DAalseth said:

Heck, I'd give them a copy of my DL before I would give them one red cent for a blue checkmark.
    edited March 2023 DAalsethhmurchisonwilliamlondonradarthekatwatto_cobraJaiOh81
  • Reply 4 of 14
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Didn't pay Space Karen. Won't give Zuck a dime either.
    DAalsethhmurchisonStrangeDayswilliamlondonforegoneconclusionwatto_cobraJaiOh81
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Nikon8Nikon8 Posts: 47member
    I guess Meta is looking for that sucker that exists.   
    williamlondonwatto_cobraJaiOh81
  • Reply 6 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Klout 3.0.  Appealing to the vain never goes out of style. 
    watto_cobraJaiOh81
  • Reply 7 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    This shitshow of a company has tried for years to further monetize its users. They’ve finally figured it out…just steal someone else’s idea. Again. 
    Pathetic. 
    edited March 2023 StrangeDayswatto_cobraJaiOh81byronl
  • Reply 8 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Both entirely worthless. Why flush $15 a month down the toilet?

These CEOs are out of ideas. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamforegoneconclusionwatto_cobraJaiOh81
  • Reply 9 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JP234 said:
    [So, there's trolls working on a farm in Mintz, Moscow or Pyongyang right now making thousands of fake drivers' licenses. And they're the only ones paying for this "service."
    Well, maybe a few domestic extremist trolls too.]

Nothing beats fresh, home-grown conspiracies!
    Sounds like you know what you’re talking about. 
    edited March 2023 JP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    JP234 said:
    So, there's trolls working on a farm in Mintz, Moscow or Pyongyang right now making thousands of fake drivers' licenses. And they're the only ones paying for this "service."
    Well, maybe a few domestic extremist trolls too. Nothing beats fresh, home-grown conspiracies!
    Oh I’d think it’s more lilely that Meta itself would b selling DLs. At least I wouldn’t put it past them. 
    JP234watto_cobraJaiOh81
  • Reply 11 of 14
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Meaning it is now cheaper to host your own add free social networking site than be on ad supported site as the product.
    mainyehcwatto_cobraJaiOh81
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mainyehcmainyehc Posts: 133member
    mattinoz said:
    Meaning it is now cheaper to host your own add free social networking site than be on ad supported site as the product.
    Precisely. With how cheap and efficient ARM-based boxes are getting, I’m *this* close to self-host a Mastodon instance, a WebDAV server for my Zotero library and a WordPress blog. 🙄
    JaiOh81mattinoz
  • Reply 13 of 14
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Meta's verified system worked better when it was based on social eminence, the verification procedure included a requirement to show press coverage of yourself or profile.

Just like on twitter, it wasn't only about being who you say you are, but that what you say or are selling is considered a legitimate source. I.E. Trustworthy.
    watto_cobra