Apple TV+ 'Ted Lasso' cast to visit White House to promote mental health

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Jason Sudeikis and the cast behind the Apple TV+ hit comedy "Ted Lasso" will be meeting President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden on Monday, to promote mental health and well-being.

Announced late on Sunday, the visit will see the on-screen stars of the celebrated sports comedy show from Apple's streaming video service paying a visit to the White House. The meeting will involve a discussion between the cast and the Bidens about "the importance of addressing your mental health to promote overall wellbeing."

The announcement was initially promoted by the U.S. President's Instagram account, which shows the famous "Believe" sign taped above the doorway into the Oval Office. The social posting also said "Tomorrow," pointing to a Monday event shortly before Apple officially confirmed the meeting.

Tomorrow. pic.twitter.com/XPNAfqnzEj

-- President Biden (@POTUS)

According to Apple's statement, the show "has inspired the world through its universal themes around optimism, kindness, and determination, and the Lasso philosophy to believe'."

Outside the broad theme of mental health and wellness, it is unclear what specifically will be raised during the meeting, but information will be released via White House social media accounts afterward.

Aside from the Bidens and Sudeikis, other cast members paying the visit include Kola Bokinni, Phil Dunster, Cristo Fernandez, Brett Goldstein, Billy Harris, Brendan Hunt, Toheeb Jimoh, James Lance, Jeremy Swift, and Hannah Waddingham.

Apple has started streaming the third and most probably final season of "Ted Lasso," with episodes debuting weekly until May 31, 2023.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    byronlbyronl Posts: 356member
    And the result? Absolutely nothing.
    CluntBaby92
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Yes .. start with the senile in the WH 
    CluntBaby92
  • Reply 3 of 12
    byronl said:
    Just being cynical or speaking from experience?

Would ignoring the issue be a better approach? I seriously doubt this event will be as ineffectual/harmful as "just say no".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Say_No#Effects

Using whatever platform one has to bring awareness to an issue of importance to that person or group is pretty much SOP. Steve Jobs did this for the issue of organ donations shortly after his liver transplant at the Apple Keynote in 2009: 

Good morning. Thank you. I'm very happy to be here today with you all. As some of you may know, about five months ago I had a liver transplant, so I now have the liver of a mid-20s person who died in a car crash and was generous enough to donate their organs. I wouldn't be here without such generosity. I hope all of us can be as generous and elect to become organ donors.
    https://speakola.com/corp/steve-jobs-apple-keynote-organ-donor-2009

And the result? Absolutely nothing? I doubt it. 

Anyone can make the choice to either applaud or ridicule others making some kind of effort to bring awareness to an issue that has the potential to help others. 

I applaud the effort. 

muthuk_vanalingamMrBunsidelolliverDarkMouzebestkeptsecret
  • Reply 4 of 12
    live appleinsider updates from the maga moat outside Mar-a-lago
    edited March 2023
  • Reply 5 of 12
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    Start with the politically deranged who troll the length and breadth of the internet with their insanity.
    MrBunside
  • Reply 6 of 12
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    chutzpah said:
    Start with the politically deranged who troll the length and breadth of the internet with their insanity.
    It’s what used to be known as a joke. See, back in the day people would make humorous observations about people and events, then relay those observations to others in order to elicit a laugh. This one here is what’s called a “softball” because it’s such an easy and obvious target for a joke. And any unbiased late-night talk show host worth their salt will be making the same one tonight.  No need to sound the klaxons. At ease.
    edited March 2023 CluntBaby92
  • Reply 7 of 12
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    Japhey said:
    chutzpah said:
    It’s what used to be known as a joke. See, back in the day people would make humorous observations about people and events, then relay those observations to others in order to elicit a laugh. This one here is what’s called a “softball” because it’s such an easy and obvious target for a joke. And any unbiased late-night talk show host worth their salt will be making the same one tonight.  No need to sound the klaxons. At ease.
    Doubt it.  The last night talk show hosts make fun of Biden for being old and a bit bumbly, but I don't recall any one of them joking that he's mentally ill or incapable.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Japhey said:
    chutzpah said:
    It’s what used to be known as a joke. See, back in the day people would make humorous observations about people and events, then relay those observations to others in order to elicit a laugh. 
    Back in the day you knew when people were making jokes and humorous observations because they were actually funny and contained humor. See, now thanks to the internet anybody can get on some platform or forum and make inarticulate dumbass comments. Maybe somebody even calls them jokes when they aren't funny. The internet has made it very clear the fact that some people think car crashes are funny. Those people shouldn't quit their day job. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 12
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    macgui said:
    Japhey said:
    chutzpah said:
    It’s what used to be known as a joke. See, back in the day people would make humorous observations about people and events, then relay those observations to others in order to elicit a laugh. 
    Back in the day you knew when people were making jokes and humorous observations because they were actually funny and contained humor. See, now thanks to the internet anybody can get on some platform or forum and make inarticulate dumbass comments. Maybe somebody even calls them jokes when they aren't funny. The internet has made it very clear the fact that some people think car crashes are funny. Those people shouldn't quit their day job. 
    Yes, comedy is more nuanced than it was in the days of Laurel and Hardy. Most of us evolved. 

Also, the great American experiment of allowing every single thing that everybody says to trigger our base emotions has turned into a predictable failure. Comedy can be a powerful bridge between disparate groups. If we let it. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 12
    byronlbyronl Posts: 356member
    ilarynx said:
    byronl said:

Would ignoring the issue be a better approach? I seriously doubt this event will be as ineffectual/harmful as "just say no".

Using whatever platform one has to bring awareness to an issue of importance to that person or group is pretty much SOP. Steve Jobs did this for the issue of organ donations shortly after his liver transplant at the Apple Keynote in 2009: 

Good morning. Thank you. I'm very happy to be here today with you all. As some of you may know, about five months ago I had a liver transplant, so I now have the liver of a mid-20s person who died in a car crash and was generous enough to donate their organs. I wouldn't be here without such generosity. I hope all of us can be as generous and elect to become organ donors.

Anyone can make the choice to either applaud or ridicule others making some kind of effort to bring awareness to an issue that has the potential to help others. 

I applaud the effort. 

it's just virtue signalling.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ilarynxilarynx Posts: 88member
    byronl said:
    ilarynx said:
    byronl said:

I applaud the effort. 

it's just virtue signalling.
    Oh, FFS. That comment is just BS, as well as just idiot signaling.