Water Cooled MDD G4 Tower...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/w...ed_mdd_g4.html

Frankly, I'm surprised no one came up with it sooner. I for one am interested in what the price is, as well as the installation procedure. If I had a spare MDD around, I sure would like to give it a shot. Anyone else out there want one of these conversion kits?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    sorry, clicked the wrong button...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Good God Spock, with all those tubes sticking out of your neck you look like a Borg.

Seriously though, it is an interesting idea, if a dangerous one. You would have to keep a 24 hour eye on those tube connectors.

Besides which it does'nt look like water as such but some sort of automotive coolant.

My bet would be on Co2 frozen Ice. No leaks or worries about shortages due to leaks. just an inert gas that lasts a long time.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    There was this a while ago too.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I read through that from the link on XLR8 Your Mac's page...all I can say is wow. I guess I was wrong in that someone *had* thought of it earlier, but it's certainly the first time that I know of that such an aftermarket kit has been made for the Mac. The kit's design seems to be a little better aesthetically in that (in exchange for the other drive bay) the reservoir is on the inside of the case, as opposed to the somewhat kludgy reservoir on the outside as seen in the original mod.

Of course, when it comes to maintenance...come to think of it, maybe an external reservoir wouldn't be such a bad idea after all...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, what's it overclocked to? What's the point of water cooling if you don't have overclocking?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Well, what's it overclocked to? What's the point of water cooling if you don't have overclocking?

The guy tried to shove a Dual 1.25 Ghz (which apparently arrived as a dual 1.33 Ghz) CPU upgrade into his Digital Audio G4.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Ah, I see... that's quite a jump... makes me think of those Celerons people overclock a ridiculous amount.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Worst mod ever.