New iBooks Are Here

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    In the German applestore it says "Fähigkeit zum Starten unter MacOS X oder MacOS 9", which translates to "Ability to boot with MacOS X and MacOS 9". This line is missing in the american Applestore though.

I see now, in the UK Aplestore it also says that you can boot it into MacOS 9.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Interesting... this update shows two things:

1) Apple is still a bit afraid of completely abandoning OS 9.

2) Apple is still afraid of including adequate RAM on their machines. In fact, they're so afraid of adding RAM that they're willing to keep OS 9 booting... who would have thought? Although it does make sense - perhaps the only Macs that are OS X only will be G4s, and therefore the iBook's next update will include 256 MB of RAM and a G4 processor, as well as OS X only booting.

By the way, just because a machine is OS X only doesn't mean it has an internal bluetooth option + airport extreme ready. Look at the current 15" iMac - OS X only, regular Airport, no bluetooth, and 256 MB of RAM.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

1) Apple is still a bit afraid of completely abandoning OS 9.

2) Apple is still afraid of including adequate RAM

3) Apple just changed the processor and hard drive!
  • Reply 44 of 83
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    ... and the graphics chip in the low end model... and the speed of the combo drive.

Checkig the Tech Specs page for the iBook and PowerBooks, you can see that OS9 is still fully available on the iBook.

Good thing, in case you want to actually *USE* your iBook while waiting for your RAM to arrive in the mail.
  • Reply 45 of 83
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

... and the graphics chip in the low end model... and the speed of the combo drive.

Checkig the Tech Specs page for the iBook and PowerBooks, you can see that OS9 is still fully available on the iBook.

Good thing, in case you want to actually *USE* your iBook while waiting for your RAM to arrive in the mail.

Yes, but they just replaced standard hardware - not anything that would prevent Mac OS 9 from booting.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Yes, but they could stop us from booting into OS9 if they wanted. I got the feeling that as every model got it's speed bump this year we'd see OS9 drop from the line. Hmm.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Hmm indeed

• Reply 48 of 83
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    "education will probably be the slowest adopter of OS X."

Maybe if Apple wasn't retarded...Dartmouth dropped Apple like a piece of crap. They're Delling now.

128 megs of RAM has to cost Apple less than 10 dollars. What the HELL is wrong with the morons making this decision? I guess they just want you to buy Apple RAM for 4x the regular price. That's pretty cheesy. Way to stiff it to the number one Switcher machine.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Retrograde: I feel your pain. It cost me $300 to replace a pinched backlight cable on my out-of-warranty iBook/500/CD. I'll definitely buy AppleCare on my next Apple portable. Looking at the $300 repair, I was temped just to buy a new low-end iBook (I have an external FireWire 16x CD-RW). Today's upgrade would have made a new $999 iBook even more tempting. But I want to return to the PowerBook fold and I am determined to wait for a Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook (hopefully with 1+GHz processor, 1+GB RAM, and DVI-out).

Escher

Yes, I too have wanted to wait some time before investing in a new Mac and wanted to hold out for a new powerbook 12" or even a new iBook should it go G4 sometime down the road. But circumstances dictate otherwise as I outlined briefly in the thread in General Discussions and so I very well may find myself hitting the "1-Click" button sooner than originally planned. If I could get things to hold together for 300 US dollars I would jump at it now but as it is I am looking more than likely at a minimum of a US 700 dollar repair. That is too close to the bottom end iBook which would guarantee me a full 1 year warranty. Apple unfortunately only guarantees repair work for 90 days, otherwise I could have gotten my combo drive replaced free now as it was only replaced 8 months ago when under warranty.

Anyway, I am really glad to hear that the entry-level iBook has 32MB of VRAM and can be upgraded to a 60GB hard drive for very little. That is encouraging!
  • Reply 50 of 83
    climberclimber Posts: 130member
    Hi

so the update is finally here...hmmm..so what to get...here is what I need it for

on the road storage of digital camera images and RAW image converter.

are there any photographers out there using the ibook or PowerBook for this purpose..which would be better?..size is an issue so either one will be a 12 incher. In regards to simply storing data..I think the ibook would be best..but when it comes to converting a RAW image to a tiff through say PS with ARC or with capture one..I am not sure which one would come out on top..at least on top enough to justify a $1000 difference..

thanks Scott
  • Reply 51 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by climber

Hi

so the update is finally here...hmmm..so what to get...here is what I need it for

on the road storage of digital camera images and RAW image converter.

are there any photographers out there using the ibook or PowerBook for this purpose..which would be better?..size is an issue so either one will be a 12 incher. In regards to simply storing data..I think the ibook would be best..but when it comes to converting a RAW image to a tiff through say PS with ARC or with capture one..I am not sure which one would come out on top..at least on top enough to justify a $1000 difference..

thanks Scott

As long as you don't need to burn the images to CD while on the road your best buy would be a entry-level iBook with the addition of a 60GB drive which you can bto on the Apple Store. I think the difference between the 800 and 900 will be slim for what you want to do.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    climberclimber Posts: 130member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

As long as you don't need to burn the images to CD while on the road your best buy would be a entry-level iBook with the addition of a 60GB drive which you can bto on the Apple Store. I think the difference between the 800 and 900 will be slim for what you want to do.

I would need to burn CD's ..I was thinking of the 900 mhz 12 inch ..even at 900mhz it is still a $1000 savings over the 12 inch 867 powerbook..is it still better to upgrade your ram outside of apple?
  • Reply 53 of 83
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "1) Apple is still a bit afraid of completely abandoning OS 9."

I doubt it--I think it is just that none of the changes in the iBook were architectural, so there is no reason to intentionally cripple them.
  • Reply 54 of 83
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by climber

I would need to burn CD's ..I was thinking of the 900 mhz 12 inch ..even at 900mhz it is still a $1000 savings over the 12 inch 867 powerbook..is it still better to upgrade your ram outside of apple?

climber: Definitely get your RAM from a third party, not from Apple. You'll save lots of money. As for the iBook v. PowerBook decision, there are three questions you need to answer:

(1) Do you make a living (or at least generate part of your income) with photography, including RAW image conversion? If yes, get the PowerBook.

(2) Are you on a budget? If yes, get the iBook. If no, get the PowerBook.

(3) Do you have a desktop PowerMac? If yes, the iBook is probably enough (you can do heavy lifting at home).

It's as easy as that!

Escher
  • Reply 55 of 83
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

Anyway, I am really glad to hear that the entry-level iBook has 32MB of VRAM and can be upgraded to a 60GB hard drive for very little. That is encouraging!

Sorry your iBook is in such bad shape. If it will really cost $700 to repair your iBook, and you have an external CD-RW, the $999 iBook is definitely a good buy.

Escher
  • Reply 56 of 83
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

"education will probably be the slowest adopter of OS X."

Maybe if Apple wasn't retarded...Dartmouth dropped Apple like a piece of crap. They're Delling now.

I didn't mean higher ed when I said that, I mean K-12.

I'm not sure what Apple did wrong to get Dartmouth to drop them. I can only guess that, as with most institutional decisions, it's based on what Apple was doing some time ago, not what they're doing now.

Quote:

128 megs of RAM has to cost Apple less than 10 dollars. What the HELL is wrong with the morons making this decision? I guess they just want you to buy Apple RAM for 4x the regular price. That's pretty cheesy. Way to stiff it to the number one Switcher machine.

Well, then, they can ship more RAM and piss off their resellers even more than they already are.
  • Reply 57 of 83
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    ordered an ibook at the first of the month, I've been waiting eagarly (my first mac) I logged onto the apple site to find that my order had been cancelled. I almost freaked until I saw that they had upgraded my order to match the new revision, which the revision date just happened to coincide with my ship date... Hurray for apple 8)
  • Reply 58 of 83
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Don't know if anyone posted this yet, in case anyone's interested the developer note for it is posted:

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/...ook/index.html

I doubt anything of interest is in there, but just in case.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    1000 dollar difference??? In what currency?

12" iBook 900, 1299 USD

12" PowerBook867, 1799 USD

That looks more like a 500USD difference to me, not 1000.

For Photoshop? The PB12 will be between 2-3X faster than the iBook.
  • Reply 60 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

thats why you order the ram first. a friend of mine wants to get an ibook(first mac) in 2 weeks(he already has the $$ for it). I told him ahead of time, to order the ram for it, max it out for under $100. and that is what he is doing, so he wont have to deal with it being crippled when he gets it.(well, not after I show him how to install the ram(IE do it for him)