NewQ dock adds up to three displays on any M1 & M2 Mac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited March 2023
The newest product from NewQ is a 16-in-1 USB-C docking station that can connect up to three 4K monitors, even on an M1 Mac.

The docking station has 16 ports
The docking station has 16 ports

With 150W of power delivery, the dock includes nearly any port users might need for their workspace. For example, it can provide up to 96W of power to charge a MacBook, and the 18W port can power an iPhone.

The docking station contains built-in safety features and cooling performance to keep it safe, and the spacious interior with an aluminum alloy exterior helps heat dissipation.

The device's USB-C/Thunderbolt 4 connector allows users to transfer huge files quickly, so they won't need to wait long for file transfers. The dock also supports up to 10Gbps data transfer speeds through other ports.

The ports include two HDMI 2.0, one DisplayPort 1.4, two USB-A 3.2 at 10Gbps, two USB-A 2.0, one USB-C 3.2 at 10Gbps, one RJ45 Ethernet, SD and TF 3.0 card readers, two 3.5mm Audio, two Power Delivery out (USB-A and USB-C), and a 150W DC-IN port.

The docking station also lets users connect up to 4K at 60Hz monitors to extend their workspace for gaming or productivity. With the drivers included with the dock, it will allow multiple monitor support on early M1 Macs, which are limited to a total of two displays.

Pricing & Availability

NewQ sells the docking station on its website and through Amazon for $199.99. However, the company is offering it for 35% off at $129.99 for a limited time.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Note that all 3 monitors display the same. True multi-monitor support is for Windows only, as this uses MST, which macOS does not support.
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    iSRSiSRS Posts: 49member
    So at the moment, it is $169.99 on their website, a “Windows” version on Amazon for $129.99 and a Mac version for $179.99. No mention of what is different. Reminds me of the days external hard drives were more for Mac “compatible” ones. 

Seems a bit unclear. This article isn’t clear, either. Can I use it to display different things on all three screens with any Apple Silicon? Just M1 Pro and Max?

A few more details would be good here. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    kpom said:
    Note that all 3 monitors display the same. True multi-monitor support is for Windows only, as this uses MST, which macOS does not support.
    I think AppleInsider linked to the wrong product - have a look at this one which uses the Displaylink driver: https://newq.store/en-ca/products/displaylink-usb-c-docking-station-triple-monitor-with-150w-adapter

That page also has the graphic AI used in the article. The lower cost model does not.
    edited March 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mknelson said:
    kpom said:
    I think AppleInsider linked to the wrong product - have a look at this one which uses the Displaylink driver: https://newq.store/en-ca/products/displaylink-usb-c-docking-station-triple-monitor-with-150w-adapter
    The link in the AI article does support Mac, but only "same extension display" and is $169 on website. The other product you linked does use the Displaylink driver as you say, and the website says "Triple 4K@60 Display". It is more expensive, at $249. (I'm a little skeptical of this, as other triple adapters for M series I've seen have one output @30Hz)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    I find it incredibly annoying that Apple doesn’t provide MST support.
    one of the things that have led to me using windows machines more than I would like to.
    All to promote Thunderbolt as a multi display connector I suppose, where such TB users would probably number in the low hundreds -  internationally.
    muthuk_vanalingam