iPhone 15 certified cable requirement expected to create high USB-C charger demand

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2023
Apple doesn't ship a charger with its iPhone anymore, and the iPhone 15 moving to USB-C with MFi requirements is expected to create high demand for compatible chargers.

Apple to require MFi certification for chargers
Apple to require MFi certification for chargers

Ever since the iPhone 12 in 2020, Apple hasn't included USB chargers in the product packaging. This controversial move caused many users to fall back on old chargers rather than upgrade to the new USB-C cables included in the box.

However, users may not have a choice in upgrading their charger when purchasing an iPhone 15. According to a report from Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple has increased orders for its 20W USB-C charger by 120% through the second and third quarter of 2023.

This reportedly comes from the company's optimism about strong replacement demand for 20W USB-C chargers. Customers won't be able to rely on their old Lightning cables or USB-A chargers with iPhone 15, so they could buy one or more chargers along with the device.

Kuo's note continues with an expected 30% to 40% year-over-year increase in 20W USB-C charger shipments. That would amount to 230 to 240 million units.

There are a number of third-party USB-C chargers on the market, and many customers may already have several. However, Apple's MFi certification process may reduce the functionality of any non-certified product.

iPhone 15USB-CApple20W USB-C / LY iTech is the primary beneficiary of the transition to USB-C for the iPhone 15 series and Apple's significant increase in 20W USB-C charger shipment estimationshttps://t.co/OpRcgorn9a

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

According to Kuo, that MFi program would drive customers to choose Apple's 20W charger when buying iPhone 15 -- even though there are many better options available from third-party accessory makers.

It isn't clear what the certification process will be for Apple's new USB-C MFi program. Depending on how it is implemented, existing third-party chargers may be limited to lower charging speeds and require a new purchase for maximum compatibility.

The iPhone 15 is expected to launch in September 2023 with a similar lineup to the iPhone 14. The iPhone 15 Pro Max may have rounded titanium edges and a periscope zoom lens.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 526member
    I prefer slow charging as I charge overnight and slow is better for the battery in the long run. I’ll keep my Anker charger brick. 
    bonobobStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    When I upgrade I’ll have so many USB-A chargers and Lightning cables I need to throw away because they’ll be useless. See how forcing USB-C is reducing e-waste?!
    lkruppwilliamlondoncommand_fwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    So people actually think all these Anker, Belkin, Aukey, etc. USB-C chargers that people have and have been using to charge their iPhones at 18+ watts with USB-C to Lightning cables will suddenly become nerfed and charge at just 5w and/or 12w for the new phones? I’ve never heard such a ridiculous claim. This is not going to happen. I’d be willing to bet $10k the MFi restrictions everyone has their panties in a bunch over will turn out to be limited to accessories like adapter dongles and docks, etc, just like they are today. Apple may go the super shitty route and require MFi USB-C cables, but they’re not going to needlessly nerf millions of existing USB-C chargers. 
    edited March 2023 Fidonet127williamlondoncommand_fStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    ZexLZexL Posts: 5member
    Wife and I are set (though not upgrading this cycle), have 4 Apple USB-C cables with 20W chargers setup around our home for our iPad Pros. MagSafes on nightstands for iPhones.

Imagine a great many aren't ready for transition. No reason for Apple not to throw customers a bone and include at least a 2m cable in box (as 1m is a joke…only good for travel).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    My plan is to get a few USB A to USB C cables instead.  Less wasteful. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    payeco said:
    So people actually think all these Anker, Belkin, Aukey, etc. USB-C chargers that people have and have been using to charge their iPhones at 18+ watts with USB-C to Lightning cables will suddenly become nerfed and charge at just 5w and/or 12w for the new phones? I’ve never heard such a ridiculous claim. This is not going to happen. I’d be willing to bet $10k the MFi restrictions everyone has their panties in a bunch over will turn out to be limited to accessories like adapter dongles and docks, etc, just like they are today. Apple may go the super shitty route and require MFi USB-C cables, but they’re not going to needlessly nerf millions of existing USB-C chargers. 

What I can see happening is an MFi "fast" charging tier above standard PD profiles.  Like how Samsung does with its Fast Charging profile, and any number of other companies do with their high power super fast schemes, particularly the Chinese OEMs.

It's something Apple already does with MagSafe, whereby the standard Qi profiles work with no issue, but for the speedier option, you need an MFi-certified wireless source.

Nothing is being gimped, or made non-functional with the generic spec-compliant third-party power sources, but for the special, fastest rates, it needs to be a blessed product.

A lot of people who read tech blogs and fall for clickbait stories will get their panties in a bunch, but it's really nothing new, or a practice confined to Apple.

For most users, it's not something they'll notice, or only discover by reading an Apple Support document, like this one for MagSafe, which subtly points out that Apple's chargers provide extra benefits.

Simply put, if the new iPhones detect an MFi-blessed e-marked cable, it will ask for 25W.  If it doesn't, it will only ask for 20W, or some scenario like that.

And a long way from something like HP bricking printers when third-party consumables are installed, via their firmware updates.

But for now, it's all guesswork anyway.
    edited March 2023 muthuk_vanalingamrmusikantowcommand_fwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    citpeks said:
    payeco said:

What I can see happening is an MFi "fast" charging tier above standard PD profiles.  Like how Samsung does with its Fast Charging profile, and any number of other companies do with their high power super fast schemes, particularly the Chinese OEMs.

It's something Apple already does with MagSafe, whereby the standard Qi profiles work with no issue, but for the speedier option, you need an MFi-certified wireless source.

Nothing is being gimped, or made non-functional with the generic spec-compliant third-party power sources, but for the special, fastest rates, it needs to be a blessed product.

A lot of people who read tech blogs and fall for clickbait stories will get their panties in a bunch, but it's really nothing new, or a practice confined to Apple.

For most users, it's not something they'll notice, or only discover by reading an Apple Support document, like this one for MagSafe, which subtly points out that Apple's chargers provide extra benefits.

Simply put, if the new iPhones detect an MFi-blessed e-marked cable, it will ask for 25W.  If it doesn't, it will only ask for 20W, or some scenario like that.

And a long way from something like HP bricking printers when third-party consumables are installed, via their firmware updates.

But for now, it's all guesswork anyway.
    If they were going to have some even quicker charging speed why would they have held it back for USB-C? Lightning can handle way more than even the 27w the 14 Pro Max peaks at. I think Apple is done innovating with cables. Once the switch to USB-C is completely we’ll get iterative charging speed increases every few years and that’ll be it for improvements with cords from Apple’s side. MagSafe and wireless are clearly where Apple sees the future and where we should expect to see all future improvements. 
    MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Well quite simple. If Apple decides, to mess with their customers by requiring off standard USB-C chargers, I'll wait until the EU kicks them in their behind to follow the rules before buying a new iPhone.

williamlondoncommand_f
  • Reply 9 of 19
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    When I upgrade I’ll have so many USB-A chargers and Lightning cables I need to throw away because they’ll be useless. See how forcing USB-C is reducing e-waste?!
    What happened to your old phones? The ones the chargers came with. Or did you buy them separately from the phones? 

You should never throw electrical or electronic goods away. They should be sent in for re-use, recycling or safe disposal. 

According to the relevant impact assessments (which factor in the transition from one charging type to another), e-waste is going to be reduced as a result. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 19
    I don't think Apple will reduce the functionality of existing cables or chargers. The cable and charger space is long overdue for security enhancements. We keep hearing how security researchers made cables or chargers that compromise the security of users by snooping with bluetooth or wifi, or they install software on to the device to do the snooping. There is even bad cables and chargers that are made so cheap, that they cause fires. I can see Apple having an option to not allow non-certified cables or chargers for those that need a much higher security posture.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    The logical solution (and safest from a regulatory perspective) would be for Apple to support the standard (obviously certification would mean that) and simply limit any extra functionality to the MFI programme.

If they deliberately went for a lesser certification and withheld higher certification for the MFI programme devices, someone is bound to cry foul (and not without reason).

I'm not sure if that is even possible though. 
  • Reply 12 of 19
    nubusnubus Posts: 380member
    Limiting charge speed by using MFI is not going to happen. The legal text from EU demands full functionality of USB Power Delivery if the device is able to handle more than 15W charging: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/dir/2022/2380/oj

Part 1:

incorporate the USB Power Delivery, as described in the standard EN IEC 62680-1-2:2021 “Universal serial bus interfaces for data and power – Part 1-2: Common components – USB Power Delivery specification”;

ensure that any additional charging protocol allows for the full functionality of the USB Power Delivery referred to in point 3.1, irrespective of the charging device used.

• Reply 13 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    so apple stops including the charger because "everyone already has one and we want to reduce waste." Then they switch to USB C but not just USB C, USB C with specific requirements that people likely don't have so now they are required to buy a new charger for their $1000 phone because Apple is to effin' cheap and hypocritical to actually include one.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondontechrider
  • Reply 14 of 19
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Try doing a yard sale with the old cables ?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 19
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    That is one ugly phone, imo. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 19
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    payeco said:
    If they were going to have some even quicker charging speed why would they have held it back for USB-C? Lightning can handle way more than even the 27w the 14 Pro Max peaks at. I think Apple is done innovating with cables. Once the switch to USB-C is completely we’ll get iterative charging speed increases every few years and that’ll be it for improvements with cords from Apple’s side. MagSafe and wireless are clearly where Apple sees the future and where we should expect to see all future improvements. 

Apple is, and has been very conservative with regard to charging power levels, so any "fast" charge above and beyond won't necessarily be a large leap or promoted as a big selling point.

Just a little "bonus" for those who need/want it and are willing to pay for an MFi-certified, and/or the fastest solution.  Those who aren't concerned with the details, and buy based on brand/reputation will enjoy the benefits, but in an indirect way.  Most users don't know or care who Georg Ohm was, or about what his Law describes.

Again, MagSafe provides the template as to how I think they'll approach it, and only those who dig into the support documents will discover the nuances.  Apple's marketing sells solutions, not big figures.  "80% in 15 minutes," not "200W SuperHyperFantastic Charge by WidgetCo" kind of thing.  That's also why Apple devices have never had the largest cells, nor do they publish those figures.  Their emphasis is on how long it will last playing music, video, or whatever, not on how many Wh the cell has.

We'll see in about six months.

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    Well quite simple. If Apple decides, to mess with their customers by requiring off standard USB-C chargers, I'll wait until the EU kicks them in their behind to follow the rules before buying a new iPhone.

If Apple decides to mess with their customers find alternative ways to protect their accessory business from EU sabotage by requiring off standard USB-C chargers...

FTFY
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    igorsky said:

If Apple decides to mess with their customers find alternative ways to protect their accessory business from EU sabotage by requiring off standard USB-C chargers...

FTFY
    I very much doubt Apple is digging any sort of moats foe their cable accessory business. It’s just too small of a drop in the bucket of revenue. Those claims have always been bogus IMO. 
    watto_cobra