FTC proposes 'Click to Cancel' rule to simplify subscription cancellation process

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Federal Trade Commission wants to make it easier to cancel subscriptions anywhere on the web, easing the burden on customers who may not wish to use a service anymore.

Federal Trade Commission building
Federal Trade Commission building

While it's seemingly always easy to sign up for a subscription, it isn't always as easy -- or immediately apparent -- when it comes time to cancel one.

Currently, there is no standardization for subscription cancellation processes. As a result, customers may be expected to follow lengthy, multi-step cancellation processes, be forced to call a company, or even be expected to cancel a service in person. The FTC hopes to change that.

"Some businesses too often trick consumers into paying for subscriptions they no longer want or didn't sign up for in the first place," FTC Chair Lina M. Khan said in a press release.

"The proposed rule would require that companies make it as easy to cancel a subscription as it is to sign up for one. The proposal would save consumers time and money, and businesses that continued to use subscription tricks and traps would be subject to stiff penalties."

The rule comes as part of the FTCs review of the 1973 Negative Option Rule, which is used to combat deceptive practices relating to subscriptions and memberships.

The FTC has shared the changes it hopes to make in a document available on its website.

Its plan would require companies to provide complete and clear information on terminating recurring subscriptions. It also would require explicit definitions of what the customer is signing up for in the first place and penalize any company that misrepresented its goods or services.

Additionally, It would require companies to allow customers who signed up for their subscriptions online to cancel them online rather than via a phone call, email form, or in-person visit.

If the Negative Option Rule is amended, the FTC plans to set clear, enforceable performance-based requirements. Companies that continue engaging in deceptive or difficult subscription practices would be fined and penalized.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Well this makes a lot of sense.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Gosh, that would be a wonderful rule to put in effect. 
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Is it just me or does it sound like the FTC wants to make it as simple to cancel a subscription everywhere as it already is if I’ve signed up for one via iOS?
    AppleZuluwilliamlondonlolliverradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    tbstephtbsteph Posts: 95member
    How about a similar feature for every type of subscription - such as  telcos; cable companies, etc., newspapers, magazines, etc. While they are at it how about dealing with spam calls.  
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 614member
    How great would this be? Let's take this and push for opt-in privacy versus opt-out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Is it just me or does it sound like the FTC wants to make it as simple to cancel a subscription everywhere as it already is if I’ve signed up for one via iOS?
    My thoughts exactly. We HAVE this on the AppStore, it’s just extending it everywhere. 
    williamlondonlolliverradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    Bingo. This is one of the things the Apple App Store already does for us. 

As more and more businesses are moving to a subscription model, this requirement is critical. Curiously, I wonder if implementing this requirement would actually lessen the push to break the App Store. I'm pretty sure one of the real reasons some vendors are objecting to the sole App Store is because they don't want it to be App Store-easy to cancel their service. If their own subscription management operation could no longer hustle subscribers out of cancellations, it may seem much more inviting to just pay Apple to handle subscriptions if they just have to be fair about it.
    williamlondonlolliverradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Same with "that other mobile OS". If only every subscription for every service or product came from one of the two. But they don't. 

Excellent move on the part of the FTC, and something I've not been able to say with some of their other edicts. 
    muthuk_vanalingamradarthekat
  • Reply 9 of 19
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    tbsteph said:
    How about a similar feature for every type of subscription - such as  telcos; cable companies, etc., newspapers, magazines, etc. While they are at it how about dealing with spam calls.  
    Yes indeed. I shouldn't have to call anyone and hold for CS to get to me. Just login, click cancel, settle any outstanding bill, and receive instant cancellation and confirmation.

Of course, it's all way too intelligent, so it'll never come to fruition. Sigh. 
    lolliverradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    gatorguy said:
    Same with "that other mobile OS". If only every subscription for every service or product came from one of the two. But they don't. 

Excellent move on the part of the FTC, and something I've not been able to say with some of their other edicts. 
    It’s not only subs that come from Apple that I can cancel via iOS. For example, I occasionally sign up for and then later cancel Hulu through iOS, not by trying to figure out where to go on the Hulu website. The same goes for magazine subscriptions. I just navigate to the subscriptions tab of my AppleID and tap the cancel button for the service in question.

So, it doesn’t HAVE to be a product or service offered by Apple in order for it to be cancelable via iOS. However, the company offering the service needs to allow it to happen. Netflix doesn’t, which kinda sucks. If Netflix made it easier for me to cancel, like Hulu and HBO do, I’d probably sign up for Netflix more often than I do.

lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Anybody here ever visit the Apple Discussion Forums? Every other question is some version of “How do I cancel...?” followed by “I didn’t subscribe to this and I want a refund...NOW!” followed by “I’ve been hacked”

People are moronic dullards with no reading comprehension whatsoever so I don’t know how this FTC proposal would change anything. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    gatorguy said:

It’s not only subs that come from Apple that I can cancel via iOS. For example, I occasionally sign up for and then later cancel Hulu through iOS, not by trying to figure out where to go on the Hulu website. The same goes for magazine subscriptions. I just navigate to the subscriptions tab of my AppleID and tap the cancel button for the service in question.

So, it doesn’t HAVE to be a product or service offered by Apple in order for it to be cancelable via iOS. However, the company offering the service needs to allow it to happen. Netflix doesn’t, which kinda sucks. If Netflix made it easier for me to cancel, like Hulu and HBO do, I’d probably sign up for Netflix more often than I do.

What?  There's literally a "Cancel Membership" button on the Account page on Netflix.com
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 19
    gatorguy said:

It’s not only subs that come from Apple that I can cancel via iOS. 
    In case it wasn't clear it is the same with "that other OS". But as with both, that subscription has to be initiated via that ecosystem. I have many other subscriptions where that option was not available. I would guess you do as well, same with other readers here.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Cue Amazon lobbyists heading en-mass to DC. They go out of their way to make canceling prime as hard as getting blood out of a stone.
    They also make it hard to order things without signing up for Prime.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    Cue Amazon lobbyists heading en-mass to DC. They go out of their way to make canceling prime as hard as getting blood out of a stone.
    They also make it hard to order things without signing up for Prime.
    That was criticised here in the EU too because 'easy subscription cancelations' should be the order of the day here.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_22_4186
  • Reply 16 of 19
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

In case it wasn't clear it is the same with "that other OS". But as with both, that subscription has to be initiated via that ecosystem. I have many other subscriptions where that option was not available. I would guess you do as well, same with other readers here.
    I’m really not sure what your point it. My first post only pointed out that the FTC seems to want to make it so canceling is as easy with everything as it already is on iOS. You replied with a comment that made it seem, to my reading, that only Apple subscriptions and services can be canceled via iOS. Then I pointed out that it isn’t only Apple subs and services that can be canceled. Still, my point is that the FTC seems to want to make cancelling just as easy everywhere. I think that’s a good thing.

I have no idea why you keep mention “that other OS” or putting it in quotes and not just saying Android. 

flydog said:
    gatorguy said:

What?  There's literally a "Cancel Membership" button on the Account page on Netflix.com
    Good. That’s a change since the last time I canceled.
    edited March 2023 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Now if only the FTC would mandate that you be able to cancel all unwanted data harvesting/profiling via one click, including what's being done by your web browser, your OS, and the data stored in your account on cloud servers.
    ronnlolliverradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    auxio said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Now if only the FTC would mandate that you be able to cancel all unwanted data harvesting/profiling via one click, including what's being done by your web browser, your OS, and the data stored in your account on cloud servers.
    It should be easier, so we agree. As it is privacy and data settings are strewn across different menus and subheadings, and while Google is an obvious example it happens on other OS's as well, iOS included.  All the misdirection is for the benefit of the provider and not the customer.

I'd welcome some authority ruling the same should apply to the settings on our smart devices whether a TV, a speaker, or a smartphone.  
    edited March 2023 ronnauxiomuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 19
    A government agency trying to do something worthwhile, instead of burdening me even more?

Into what alternate reality have I been thrust?  Or is FTC being invaded by intelligent aliens?
    watto_cobra