'Love Island' star says someone tracked her with an AirTag

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2023
Former Love Island star Montana Brown was a recent victim of AirTag stalking and urged people in similar cases to contact the police.

AirTag tracking
AirTag tracking

Innocent people are increasingly being tracked via AirTags, and Brown recently became the newest victim. She was traveling to Los Angeles when she got a phone notification telling her an AirTag was tracking her location.

She looked through her bag in the airport restroom, discovered the AirTag, and flushed it down the toilet. Brown said she didn't think much of it at the time.

"It was only really when I came back home and I told a few of my friends...I realised that's so creepy," she told BBC Newsbeat. "My friends were like: 'you should absolutely be making more of a big deal out of this because this could happen to anybody'."

She posted about her experience on social media, then realized how sinister the AirTag tracking was when "the sheer amount of comments and messages" she received made her realize that it's become common.

"And this is obviously a method that people are using to track people, and maybe track women who are travelling on their own," Brown said. "So that was kind of a penny drop. I was just thankful that I found it and was able to get rid of it."

Brown didn't contact the police after finding the AirTag and regretted that she didn't do so, not realizing at the time that it was an option. "Because in these situations none of us know what to do. If you see an accident, you know to call 999," she said."

Brown is only the latest victim of AirTag tracking. In a separate case from February, a woman's ex-husband in Tennessee track her by hiding an AirTag in her car.

What to do if you find an AirTag

Apple advises people to immediately contact local law enforcement if they discover an AirTag in their belongings that they don't own. On iOS 14.5 or later, Find My will send a notification if it finds an AirTag moving with you.

If people discover one while traveling, they shouldn't return home so that the stalker won't find where they live. Instead, either hand it to the police while making a report, or disable it.

It's possible to remove the battery from an AirTag by pushing down and twisting the metal cover on the back counter-clockwise to open the device. After that, the person on the other end won't be able to track the location.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    rynoyesrynoyes Posts: 18member
    Definitely don’t flush it down the toilet, it has a battery and cause a clog.  Taking the battery out would be the logical first step
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    rynoyes said:
    Definitely don’t flush it down the toilet, it has a battery and cause a clog.  Taking the battery out would be the logical first step
    Have you ever used an airport bathroom? You can flush a small person down one of those things, lol. But yes, flushing an AirTag down the toilet is the last thing a logical person should do. But considering the source, her reaction seems on-brand. 
    dewmebeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Flushing it down the toilet obviously isn't advisable, but I don't fault her for doing so. It's not like she'd had any training in counter surveillance or Monday morning quarterbacking. She panicked  and wanted to get rid of it as quickly as possible and maybe she didn't want it recovered by anybody.

It's not inconceivable that she as well as a lot of people wouldn't know how to remove the battery. Doing so would probably destroy any fingerprints but the serial number might be useful. So she gets a pass from me.

• Reply 4 of 7
    I can't help but think that it's only stupid stalkers using AirTags, given the anti-stalking features.  Any smart stalker is going to use one of the myriad other GPS trackers on the market that have no such features.  But of course, people and the media can't scream "Apple!" about those other ones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    I'd have left the offending AirTag on the airport parking shuttle or someplace similar. Should keep the stalker harmlessly entertained for hours and hours.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    neilm said:
    I'd have left the offending AirTag on the airport parking shuttle or someplace similar. Should keep the stalker harmlessly entertained for hours and hours.
    Stash it in a hard-to-find spot on the plane. It'll drive the stalker batty to see "you" flying all over the place for weeks.

Personally, not being an airhead, I would have kept it. Either you can get the police to subpoena Apple to find the stalker, or you can factory reset it and get a free Airtag.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Apple notified her, not much of a tracker is it Montana

dont be a dumb Hollywood bimbo

worry about other ways people
    can track you