Apple TV+ considering bid to stream UK soccer

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
UK Premier League soccer matches could be shown on Apple TV+ starting in 2024 as Apple is reportedly considering a bid for the high-profile games.

A Soccer Ball
A Soccer Ball

There have been rumors of Apple looking to bid for Premier League football before. However, they've appeared to be almost dubious as a claim that Tim Cook personally wants Apple to buy the Manchester United team.

Now according to Bloomberg, Apple is seriously considering making a bid for the rights to stream UK soccer. While neither Apple nor representatives of the Premier League have commented, the publication cites unnamed sources familiar with the discussions.

Specifically, the rights being considered would see Apple TV+ streaming Premier League matches within the UK, and at least some lower-league games, too. There's no word of whether a deal would allow Apple to show the sport worldwide, as it is doing with America's MLB.

The rights to stream UK soccer will be up for auction from 2024. According to UK trade magazine Broadcast, the rights are currently split between Sky Sports, BT Sports, Amazon Prime Video, and the BBC.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    It’s in the UK, therefore it’s called “football”, William. You’re British, you should know this. 
    edited March 2023
  • Reply 2 of 9
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    For a couple of years in Canada, it was DAZN that had the rights to the EPL. They also had the Carabao (hate that name, League) cup, and all Champions and Europa League matches.
    Then last season, it’s Fubo that had the contract for the EPL and so now we lost access to Champions and Europa league. Oh and by the way, Fubo’s interface sucks big time.

I am hoping that Apple does get the EPL streaming rights but that they can somehow get Champions League, Europa league and yes the FA Cup as well. I would gladly pay for that in one big annual subscription.
    lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 9
    The name of the sport is FOOTBALL!

Who name a game football, when you most of the time use hands?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    If Apple is thinking of using this as a vehicle for VR content they should do it to show the way for how spectator sports can be the killer application for the technology.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    MickeN71 said:
    The name of the sport is FOOTBALL!

Who name a game football, when you most of the time use hands?

It was the Brits who came up with the name soccer in the beginning, so get off your high horse.   If it’s shown in the USA — which I really hope it is — they’re going to have to avoid name collision/confusion.  That’s just a fact.  

How well would a chip shop anywhere in Britain or the rest of the UK do if it served “fish & fries” on its menus?

lollivertape
  • Reply 6 of 9
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    I can hear the chants now:

"He's here, he's there, he's every f***ing where...."

lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 9
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I’m still not entirely convinced of Apple’s competence in broadcasting live sports. Part of me wants to say “wallet open, take money”…but the other part wishes Apple would fine tune its approach before tackling (!) something as prestigious as the EPL. If you think people have been vocal over the way Apple is handling its MLB responsibilities, just wait and see how bad they will be if the EPL on Apple TV+ isn’t absolutely perfect. Seriously, Apple can’t afford an own goal here, they will need to be perfect. And so far I’ve seen no indication that they are anywhere near that level yet in live broadcasts. 

edited March 2023 tenthousandthings
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Japhey said:
    I’m still not entirely convinced of Apple’s competence in broadcasting live sports. Part of me wants to say “wallet open, take money”…but the other part wishes Apple would fine tune its approach before tackling (!) something as prestigious as the EPL. If you think people have been vocal over the way Apple is handling its MLB responsibilities, just wait and see how bad they will be if the EPL on Apple TV+ isn’t absolutely perfect. Seriously, Apple can’t afford an own goal here, they will need to be perfect. And so far I’ve seen no indication that they are anywhere near that level yet in live broadcasts. 
    Second this. NBC’s deal for the EPL broadcasts in the US runs through 2027-28, so like the article says, it sounds like we’re talking about partial UK EPL rights (and maybe The Championship rights in both UK and US?) — the bar for any of that is very high. 
    Japhey
  • Reply 9 of 9
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I’m going to guess, despite the headline, that Apple are interested in the English Premier League, rather than the Scottish Premier League, Cymru Premier or NIFL Premiership.  ;) 
    elijahg