Steve Jobs saved a long-time Mac developer from an early death

Posted:
in Mac Software
Audio Hijack is the go-to app for recording anything on a Mac, but 18 years after the fact, its makers have only now learned how they were saved by Steve Jobs.

Steve Jobs and the current icon for Audio Hijack
Steve Jobs and the current icon for Audio Hijack

The developer of Rogue Amoeba has previously argued against Apple and in particular its "restrictive" Mac App Store. Now in its 21st year, however, the company has learned how Steve Jobs had their back -- without them even knowing it.

Rogue Amoeba founder Paul Kafasis says that it is "rather terrifying" to learn that "if not for an offhand conversation in which we had no involvement, things could have turned out very differently for our company."

The conversation was between podcaster Adam Curry and Apple's Steve Jobs and Eddy Cue, sometime in 2005. As now relayed in a podcast interview with Curry, it concerned how podcasters recorded audio.

Jobs asked how Curry made recordings, and was told it was with what was then called Audio Hijack Pro. But at the time, the highly litigious Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) was trying to stop any possible method of pirating music.

"The RIAA wants us to disable Audio Hijack Pro," Eddy Cue reportedly told Curry, "because with it you could record any sound off of your Mac, any song, anything."

Jobs then asked whether Curry and other podcasters needed Audio Hijack. The answer was an emphatic yes, "so Steve Jobs told [the RIAA] to get lost," said Curry.

Rogue Amoeba never heard from the RIAA, and until now didn't know anything about this conversation. Kafasis says hearing the news, even nearly two decades later, was "chilling."

The company continues to make Audio Hijack, plus a range of other audio apps including Loopback, and Farrago.

Read on AppleInsider
waveparticlecornchipdavFileMakerFeller

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    that's so steve
    h2pcoolfactormarc gwatto_cobrajony0FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Man I miss that guy.
    coolfactormarc gdamn_its_hotdavwatto_cobrajony0FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 9
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    This is just another example that Steve saw the bigger picture better than anyone. 

But music and movie industry fought every Technology that allowed the every day person to record, they fought cassette tape industry they fought VCR industry and they lost in court. This time they tried to keep it court and force companies to comply. For most part they have been successful you can not longer record tv shows or streaming audio without lots of hoops 

the content industry wants you to pay each and every time you watch something other with a direct payment or through ads.

remember you use to be able to watch tv for free.
    coolfactordanoxwatto_cobrajony0FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    cornchip said:
    Man I miss that guy.
    Yes, he didn't beat around the bush like Cook does, speaking platitudes and business-speak. Jobs said Flash was a piece of shit and he meant it. Jobs would have told Tim Sweeney to fuck off.
    chadbagh2pcoolfactortmaymarc gelijahgdanoxmainyehcdamn_its_hoturahara
  • Reply 5 of 9
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    lkrupp said:
    cornchip said:
    Man I miss that guy.
    Yes, he didn't beat around the bush like Cook does, speaking platitudes and business-speak. Jobs said Flash was a piece of shit and he meant it. Jobs would have told Tim Sweeney to fuck off.
    I remember those debates back in the early days of the iPhone - the web was awash in flash scripts and every other week there was another flash vulnerability reported. Macromedia tried to make versions that were smartphone compatible and Samsung tried to market its phones as ‘able to view the whole web.’ 

Jobs and Apple stayed the course promoting HTML 5 and Flash died the death it deserved. Jobs was right and we’re all better off for it. 

coolfactortmaymarc gwatto_cobrajony0FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I honestly did think this was going to be a story like about how Jobs hired an acupuncturist for Forestall. 

Still though, I don’t think the title was clickbait and I’m not mad that there was another way to read it. (Honestly part of knowing any language is knowing that sometimes you need more context to avoid confusion.)

Anyway, I’m glad Steve told the record industry to bugger off. There were tons of tolls that did the same sort of things, just worse on Windows. Also, the record industry are a bunch of thugs who rip off artists. 

Though I do like Tim and it’s clear he is better at managing a large corporation that Steve could have hoped to be… I do miss a few of the different values that Steve had. The iLife apps were super important to him, and under Cook they’re all pretty well on life support. (Though part of that could be that Tim is hoping that by giving them generic names like Music and Photos that they feel to a legislator more like system apps that would be silly to force Apple to unbundle.)

I think Tim’s thinking is that they want to put more focus on third party developers products which typically have to be sold, and then people will be less expectant of Apple to build great apps for every type of creative activity. (Also Apple sticking mostly to OS development probably cuts back on developer concerns about getting Sherlocked.)

These days Apple really just makes their various hardware and software platforms, as well as the iWork apps, their associated online services and their pro music and video apps. 

I feel like if Steve was still with us Apple would have it’s own game engine to rival Unreal, and he’d have punched back at the record labels and launched something that would have helped break the control that the labels had over things… then again I also think that he’d have started an Apple branded virtual carrier… and realistically he probably wouldn’t have done any of these things because they would have been huge gambles that could have blown up in their faces and ticked off partners. 

coolfactorwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 9
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    It’s not about whether Steve Jobs was right or wrong.   Steve was pushing what he thought was best for his newest product. The IPhone which had very little RAM and 8GB of storage.  So he sided with the script that would make his product work better for his customers. 
    marc gFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 8 of 9
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    maestro64 said:
    This is just another example that Steve saw the bigger picture better than anyone. 

But music and movie industry fought every Technology that allowed the every day person to record, they fought cassette tape industry they fought VCR industry and they lost in court. This time they tried to keep it court and force companies to comply. For most part they have been successful you can not longer record tv shows or streaming audio without lots of hoops 

the content industry wants you to pay each and every time you watch something other with a direct payment or through ads.

remember you use to be able to watch tv for free.
    The publishing industry is pretty much the same.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller