AirPods Pro 2 rumored to get Apple's first USB-C charging case

Posted:
in General Discussion
According to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple will only release a USB-C case for the AirPods Pro 2 and not for other versions.

AirPods Pro case
AirPods Pro case

The company recently issued the release candidate version of iOS 16.4 and other operating systems. The code suggested that new AirPods are on the way with the model number A3048, and a new AirPods case numbered A2968.

On Friday, Kuo tweeted that it likely refers to a USB-C version of the second-generation AirPods Pro, with mass shipments expected in the second to third quarter. However, he added that Apple has no current plans for USB-C versions of the AirPods 2 and AirPods 3 generations.

I think this is likely the USB-C version of the AirPods Pro 2, with mass shipments expected in 2Q23-3Q23. By the way, Apple currently appears to have no plans for USB-C versions of the AirPods 2 & 3.

AirPods Pro https://t.co/aWKJvGh1lW

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

The switch to a USB-C port is due to rules from the European Union that requires Apple and other companies to use USB-C in their devices by 2024. Apple includes the port in newer Macs and iPads, but not the iPhone with its Lightning port.

Specific iPhone 15 models may include a USB-C port, but Apple doesn't technically have to comply until December 28, 2024. But iPhones must have the port starting with the iPhone 17.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    My Beats ‘AirPods’ had USB charging 2 years ago. It’s not rocket science - or that interesting. 
    You’re right; it’s Socket Science!

Seriously, though, it’s time to ditch Lightning.  It’s had a good run, but it’s time to move on, until the next great idea.

The duplicate charging cables alone is worth the switch.  My iPad has had USB-C since 2021, and unless it’s $50 for the connector, and will add significantly to the price, I’m good with carrying around one cable for the iPad, AirPods, iPhone, and my work phone (iPhone, Android, whatever they give me next year).
    caladanianjeffharriselijahgAlex1Nbala1234
  • Reply 2 of 20
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    I could have told you this.

When the Apple TV remote came out with USB C and no other changes, it was a clear signal that no new Apple accessories will ever be released with lightning ever again. 
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 20
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    I still have concerns about the repetition reliability for usb-c over the simple male into female design of lightning, especially when the primary function of the port is charging.  Unlike computers, where the primary use is data transfer, for things like phones, remotes, personal devices, the main use for cables is simple charging.

But of course, I am sure the bureaucrats of the EU have thought this over carefully (S).
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Good. It's about time.
    jeffharris
  • Reply 5 of 20
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Good. It's about time.
    Agreed. I’m glad I waited. 
    Now, can we get the MagSafe Battery Pack in USB-C?
    Alex1N
  • Reply 6 of 20
    USB-C, OK, that's cool, if a little late.

Hopefully Apple improves the AirPods Pro sound quality, too.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    badmonk said:
    I still have concerns about the repetition reliability for usb-c over the simple male into female design of lightning, especially when the primary function of the port is charging.  Unlike computers, where the primary use is data transfer, for things like phones, remotes, personal devices, the main use for cables is simple charging.

But of course, I am sure the bureaucrats of the EU have thought this over carefully (S).
    The whole point of USB C was to make a connector that can be easily plugged in and out repeatedly. That’s why it can be inserted with either side up.

I don’t know about you, but my male lightning connectors all wear out over time. Dust or gunk gets on the exposed pins and eventually shorts one out. Then, I’m stuck with a cable that can only be inserted in a specific orientation. 
    Alex1Nurahara
  • Reply 8 of 20
    bfranksbfranks Posts: 22member
    AirPods Pro 2 have already been released, are they offering to swap out the case 🧐🤷🏻‍♂️
    Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 20
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member
    badmonk said:

This is a manufactured concern. USB-C's connector was engineered for a minimum of 10,000 connections/disconnections, or 3 times a day for 9 years.
    edited March 2023 Alex1N
  • Reply 10 of 20
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 838member
    This is really Apple at its worst. They made signficant changes to the case for Airpods 2, which presented the perfect opportunity to implement USB-C, as they had done on other Apple devices, Instead we get a Lightning port AGAIN in October 2022. And now, just 5 months later, we get word that Apple would happy to sell us a second AirPods Pro case to get USB-C. What they SHOULD do is offer to swap the Lightning cases for free. Not that this will ever happen. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 11 of 20
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Is the AirPods Pro 2 case compatible with AirPods Pro 1 ear pieces?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    neoncat said:
    badmonk said:

This is a manufactured concern. USB-C's connector was engineered for a minimum of 10,000 connections/disconnections, or 3 times a day for 9 years.
    Micro USB was also estimated to be good for 10,000 insertions, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who had some issues with those.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    charlesn said:
    This is really Apple at its worst. They made signficant changes to the case for Airpods 2, which presented the perfect opportunity to implement USB-C, as they had done on other Apple devices, Instead we get a Lightning port AGAIN in October 2022. And now, just 5 months later, we get word that Apple would happy to sell us a second AirPods Pro case to get USB-C. What they SHOULD do is offer to swap the Lightning cases for free. Not that this will ever happen. 
    So you wanted to wait additional year in order just to get the USB-C case? With all rumors and expectation for iPhone to get USB-C and the fact that iPads have it already…. You could have waited. But you decided not to.

You did’n vote for USB-C with your money (e.g. not buying anything with lightning). So stop blaming Apple for your choices. 

• Reply 14 of 20
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    badmonk said:

Yes, they have. As have the standards committees. 
    urahara
  • Reply 15 of 20
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    charlesn said:
    Why the hell would Apple give us a free case? 

Everybody knew that USB-C was coming to the AirPods. Everybody. If someone needs or wants their AirPods with it, then they should have waited. Simple as that. Why should Apple be on the hook for someone being impatient or changing their mind?

Hell no that would never happen, and it would stupid if it did. 
  • Reply 16 of 20
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    Japhey said:
    charlesn said:
    Why the hell would Apple give us a free case? 

Everybody knew that USB-C was coming to the AirPods. Everybody. If someone needs or wants their AirPods with it, then they should have waited. Simple as that. Why should Apple be on the hook for someone being impatient or changing their mind?

Hell no that would never happen, and it would stupid if it did. 
    Both viewpoints are fine (assuming things play out as the OP imagines).

Apple is very much into upsell. If people literally buy into that, nothing will change. 
  • Reply 17 of 20
    charlesn said:
    That’s will all apple products though. You buy an iPad and 2 months later a new iPad comes out. Technology changes quickly.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    neoncat said:
    badmonk said:

Because we all know that every single manufacturer will adhere strictly to the specifications and requirements. /s

Apple might, or might not if they think they're "close enough" to please their customers, but others?  I'm sure whoever makes Amazon Basics stuff will be extra special careful.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    pairof9pairof9 Posts: 74member
    The question I have is if we can get this charger separate, and if so, will current AirPod Pro 2 plugs fit and charge within in it?

It would seem probable considering the charger makeup doesn’t need to change to allow an alternate charging port. In that way if you really needed/wanted the 2 version, you could buy the current model and purchase the USB-C charger later.