Any VW owners here?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm looking at picking up a used 2000 Jetta or Golf. I'd like to get a VR6 for it's smooth engine, but I may have to settle with the 1.8T.

Some reports have said that VW's exhibit major repair expenses in the 5th year or so.

Anyone here have either of these cars? Have you found it to be a very reliable car?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I'm looking at picking up a used 2000 Jetta or Golf. I'd like to get a VR6 for it's smooth engine, but I may have to settle with the 1.8T.

Some reports have said that VW's exhibit major repair expenses in the 5th year or so.

Anyone here have either of these cars? Have you found it to be a very reliable car?

i have a 2001 jetta vr6 and love it. no problems with the engine or any of the major guts. my only real beef with vw is that some of it's interior components such as the pop-out cup holders and such seem to be somewhat fragile. the cup holder has broken twice now (should be an easy fix), as has my armrest compartment latch, cover for the passanger side seatbelt, and last but not least the locking mech for the trunk ( fairly easy to fix myself in less than 10 min, vw was wanting to charge me $40 for the part and another hour and half for the labor. they're getting a nasty gram in the mail for that one). bastards.

"they always fvck you in the drive through"
  • Reply 2 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Check this out.

"Suckers Wanted"

(not leaning either way, but I found this during my new car research a month ago)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I hate the way they put the cup holder on top and the radio on bottom. It's totaly fscking backwards.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Got a Passat wagon. Love it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Had a 97 Jetta. Ran Perfect loved it. Just traded it and got a great price. VW's rule!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Check this out.

"Suckers Wanted"

(not leaning either way, but I found this during my new car research a month ago)

Yeah, I've read of all horror stories that VW's are suppose to have but most I know who have one, never experienced any.

While probably not as reliable as a Civic, the VW's just feel so much better. The only engine that feels a bit weak is the 2.0 litre. VW's (and Audis) do have a bit of problem with ergonomics. If they put the radio so low, then at least put some of the controls on the steering wheel.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I have a 2000 gti and am pretty happy with it. No major problems or anything. It drives great.