Do I smell a special event on April 28th? CONFIRMED!

Comments

• Reply 101 of 252
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    >I can't believe that an Apple music service would be Mac only. Record companies can't expect to turn the industry around by appealing to 5% of the PC market.

what if they are looking at the apple service as a test and a model of how its done if done right.
  • Reply 102 of 252
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

so that means that they wont work with current mp3 (hardware) players?

That's why you should have an iPod

Anyway, I think a lot of mp3 players are firmware upgradeable. What's the sense in locking an expensive piece of hardware into a digital format that may be replaced in the near future?
  • Reply 103 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

That's why you should have an iPod

yea i know, that will be part of the pitch, but i have a sony clie that plays mp3s so i cant justify buying an ipod right now. But maybe after the 28 i can

Quote:

Anyway, I think a lot of mp3 players are firmware upgradeable. What's the sense in locking an expensive piece of hardware into a digital format that may be replaced in the near future?

So you can go buy a new one that plays the new formats I doubt companies like rio and creative would be nice and make their older players compatible. Although sony might if they are part of this whole thing. but someone can alwase write a new player for palm os
  • Reply 104 of 252
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

I can't believe that an Apple music service would be Mac only. Record companies can't expect to turn the industry around by appealing to 5% of the PC market.

What better way of increasing market share... a feature that you have to, and would buy a Mac for...
  • Reply 105 of 252
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    From Mac Business Solutions. 9057-B Gaither Road, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20877

Friday & Saturday, May 2-3: Come to MBS on Friday, May 2nd and Saturday, May 3rd from noon to 3pm for an enlightening audio event. We'll have great new (and fun!) audio hardware and software to demo. We'll have presentations on getting your favorite music into iTunes and onto your iPod, digitizing your old analog cassettes and vinyl, and even some basics on getting started in Mac OS X. Also, come see the latest announcements from Apple. C'mon in and join the audio party!
  • Reply 106 of 252
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

From Mac Business Solutions. 9057-B Gaither Road, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20877

Friday & Saturday, May 2-3: Come to MBS on Friday, May 2nd and Saturday, May 3rd from noon to 3pm for an enlightening audio event. We'll have great new (and fun!) audio hardware and software to demo. We'll have presentations on getting your favorite music into iTunes and onto your iPod, digitizing your old analog cassettes and vinyl, and even some basics on getting started in Mac OS X. Also, come see the latest announcements from Apple. C'mon in and join the audio party!

hahah, mac business solutions, hahaha, Mac BS. That's funny
  • Reply 107 of 252
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

I can't believe that an Apple music service would be Mac only. Record companies can't expect to turn the industry around by appealing to 5% of the PC market. There either has to be a Windows version of iTunes in the works or a PC counter part for the service.

Well, even if a record company can't turn the industry around with 5% of the PC market, but then again if it doesn't work you have risked only 5% of the PC market and if iTunes stays on the Mac, it won't go all Napster on them! Napster might still be in business if somehow it only worked on a Mac.

Quote:

As far as a subscription service, it seems unnecessary. iTunes downloading should work the same way prints do in iPhoto. Put in your information once and pay for your downloads that way. I just hope that searching for music works a little faster than getting information from the Help viewer. I also can't see the reason for Apple to ship custom mix cds to consumers, the point of an online music service is to get rid of the cost of manufacturing CDs-the cost of burning CDs and printing album sleeves falls on the consumer.

I doubt Apple would ship hardcopy of anything, but if iTunes and iPods only recognize their owners, then the industry would feel okay about letting downloads happen inexpensively. The number of folks hacking the system would be small compared to possible revenues.

It IS a big question though as to whether iTunes will go to the PC or not in this kind of scenario. As with recent video editing advances, maybe iTunes will begin to fit into the chain of creation (EMagic) and distribution the way that QuickTime does for multimedia creation (FCP) and distribution.
  • Reply 108 of 252
    geddoegeddoe Posts: 45member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

But how would you know song #13 is a good song if it hasn't been released? I really don't see people buying whole CDs this way because it would possibly be cheaper jsut to buy the damn thing from a store. This is for those would want to have this song, then that song and oh, yea, I like that song to.

Imagine when we recorded to tape from the radio. That's what I see happening, inwhich .99¢ a single isn't bad because it's a couple bucks in the store. If you bought all the singles in a store it would be more then $20 for a CD.

You do what makes the most economic sense for you. Every one is different. If it makes sense to you to buy the CD, then do so. If it makes sense to pick songs individually off of a service, then do so. Choice is good.
  • Reply 109 of 252
    Can iPods currently play AAC as well as mp3's?
  • Reply 110 of 252
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

That's a negative
  • Reply 111 of 252
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

No, not yet. There's been a lot speculation that the next iPod update will include AAC capabilities and I think that speculation will turn out to be correct.
  • Reply 112 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

No, not yet. There's been a lot speculation that the next iPod update will include AAC capabilities and I think that speculation will turn out to be correct.

I hope so. Any new iPod over 20 gigs and I'd rather put the extra memory into "quality" over "quantity."
  • Reply 113 of 252
    A pridiction for the 28th:

There will be an announcement that Half-Life 2 will be coming to the Mac.

Its probably just a coincidence that the NDA on Half-Life 2 expires on the 28th, but I'm hoping that its not. Half-Life 2's graphics look incredible and if the story is as good as the first, I'll pay any [reasonable] price for it.

EDIT: minor correction
  • Reply 114 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Inevitable

A pridiction for the 28th:

There will be an announcement that Half-Life 2 will be coming to the Mac.

Its probably just a coincidence that the NDA on Half-Life 2 expires on the 28th, but I'm hoping that its not. Half-Life 2's graphics look incredible and if the story is as good as the first, I'll pay any [reasonable] price for it.

EDIT: minor correction

I'd love to see HL 2 on the Mac.... but if that was all it would blow! Spymac is talking about tablets being introduced as the mysterious "communication device." - seems good to me.
  • Reply 115 of 252
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I'm buying an iPod soon anyway, so it might as well be a new iPod. And how long have the 5GB iPods been unavailable on the Apple Store...?
  • Reply 116 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

I'm buying an iPod soon anyway, so it might as well be a new iPod. And how long have the 5GB iPods been unavailable on the Apple Store...?

About 3 or 4 months now. O, and I'm buying the new high end iPod, too.
  • Reply 117 of 252
    I personally would love to see the following:

SHN Playback and SHN Recording (along with mp3 naturally) if they added this along with firewire recording, I would absolutely go NUTS. No one has offered anythign like this. But of course these are just my dreams. Now, I do hope they add line in recording with uncompressed AIFF, as that would be good enough for me.... Either way, as long as these new iPods have some pretty sweet stuff, count me in. I owned a 5 gig 1st gen model for about 3 months and sold it because I needed the cash, but have missed it ever since. And now that summer is coming around and I can work.....
  • Reply 118 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

I personally would love to see the following:

SHN Playback and SHN Recording (along with mp3 naturally) if they added this along with firewire recording, I would absolutely go NUTS. No one has offered anythign like this. But of course these are just my dreams. Now, I do hope they add line in recording with uncompressed AIFF, as that would be good enough for me.... Either way, as long as these new iPods have some pretty sweet stuff, count me in. I owned a 5 gig 1st gen model for about 3 months and sold it because I needed the cash, but have missed it ever since. And now that summer is coming around and I can work.....

That would be great to have SHN Playback...what is SHN Playback?
  • Reply 119 of 252
    pasmacpasmac Posts: 13member
    Here is your answer:

http://thetechnozone.com/audiobuyers...echReport.html

Its some kind of Lossless compression for music files.

Check it out,

Pasmac
  • Reply 120 of 252
    bperkinsbperkins Posts: 110member
    Quote:

That would be great to have SHN Playback...what is SHN Playback?

shns are awesome. I trade/download a ton of live DMB stuff, and all the tapers use shn's becuase it is the excatly same source as recorded. You lose nothing, and they sound great. I use shorten for mac to decompress the shn's to wave's to burn to cd's. The downside is they are huge, but you have a clean audio copy. The tapers hate mp3's, and you will get horse whipped if you trade them.

Jeremiah Rich--if I am not mistaken I think Panic has a audio player that plays shns. Check out etree.org for the downloads of various shn software programs.