Ron Howard's Imagine jumps ship from Apple TV+ to Amazon

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member
    darkvader said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Their loss and mistake.
    Hardly.  Amazon Prime is worth it for the shipping, Prime Video is essentially a freebie that they throw in.  And it's still got a lot more content than Apple, and it's generally better content.

I'm gonna bet there are a LOT more people with Amazon Prime than with Apple TV+, and it's probably going to stay that way.

Apple's big thing is apparently some show about a sportsball coach.  Yawn.
    Better content than Apple TV+? Hardly. The Lord of the Rings show was pretty even though the writing was pretty middling. Upload was genuinely good. Jack Ryan is good. Marvellous Ms Maisel was good for the episodes I watched. And they’ve had a few others that I enjoyed. But they have NOTHING as good as Ted Lasso, Shrinking or Severance. Foundation is certainly better than the seasons of the Expanse that Amazon funded. 

Don’t get me wrong, Prime Video has some good shows but they’re no where near Apple’s level. 
    Expanse was a waste of my time. 
    Spitbathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 22
    ronn said:
    Not surprised given Amazon's broader push into movies: buying MGM, bigger spend on cinema the last few years, and now reports of them moving into actual theatre ownership. They already highlighted plans to release 12-15 movies in theatres annually. Directors & Producers love that kind of thinking.
    Amazon does operate an actual theater in Culver City, CA. An existing theater was leased and was upgraded with several Samsung Onyx LED screens -- several 4K screens and one 8K screen:
    https://losangelestheatres.blogspot.com/2022/07/culver-city-12.html

I attended a SMPTE screening of HDR content in that theater on the 40' wide 4K LED screen a few weeks ago. That was super impressive. 

(Side note of interest: since the LED screen is solid, they can't put screen channel (L-C-R) speakers behind the screen. This was solved by placing smallish speaker arrays above the screen, a few meters away, then pointing them "backwards" onto the screen so the sound could bounce off the screen surface.)
    watto_cobra