Tim Cook will talk to US Lawmakers about China challenges

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2023
Apple CEO Tim Cook is expected to talk with lawmakers visiting Hollywood and Silicon Valley in the coming week, with China being the subject of conversation.

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Apple CEO Tim Cook

The group of lawmakers will be arriving in Hollywood on Wednesday, as part of a three-day trip to speak to high-level executives. A bipartisan delegation led by Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-WI), chairman of the new House Select Committee on the Chinese Communist Party, the eleven-member group will also visit tech executives later in the journey.

The trip is "intended to just hear mostly from [executives] about how they're thinking about various issues," an aide told Axios. With China being the main topic of conversation, the talks will apparently be held privately and intended to be constructive without any legislative agenda.

Lawmakers will speak to Disney CEO Bob Iger on Wednesday, along with producers, former studio executives, and screenwriters. On Thursday, they will meet with Silicon Valley leaders including Microsoft president Brad Smith, Alphabet president of global affairs and chief legal officer Kent Walker, and other experts and venture capitalists.

Cook will meet with the lawmakers on Friday. With Cook's recent visit to the China Development Forum, it is likely that the lawmakers and the CEO will have a lot to talk about.

During the summit, Cook met with China's commerce minister Wang Wentao and discussed plans to stabilize industrial and supply chains. Cook also spoke at the summit itself, praising the "symbiotic" 30-year relationship between Apple and China.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    Will he tell the truths? The truths that numerous AI members pretend to know China best?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 20
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    Will he tell the truths? The truths that numerous AI members pretend to know China best?
    Why would Tim Cook talk about AI members?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    chutzpah said:
    Why would Tim Cook talk about AI members?
    Sorry my English confuses you.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Will he tell the truths?
    My guess is no.
    elijahgwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 20
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Responsible US lawmakers: “China is a hostile nation intent on defeating the USA from within and without. We need to be careful and up our game, not feeding the dragon.”

cook: “but but but… more money! Sure we handed over data centers and invested 275 billion dollars into an actual evil communist dictatorship, but it’s good for our checkbooks.” 

The world: 🤯
    edited April 2023 elijahgtmaywilliamlondonbeowulfschmidtgrandact73
  • Reply 6 of 20
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Maybe Tim will save TikTok....but with these old geezers who can't even turn the damn phone on still in congress technology will always be behind in this country. 
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 7 of 20
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,281member
    AI is on your side. Posts critical of Xi tend to get deleted. 
    tmaywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    blastdoor said:
    AI knows who is telling the truth, who is inciting hatred and that is bad to Apple. 
    williamlondondanox
  • Reply 9 of 20
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 314member
    "Nixon in China" John Adams (now showing in Paris)
  • Reply 10 of 20
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    blastdoor said:
    AI knows who is telling the truth, who is inciting hatred and that is bad to Apple. 
    Well, we all know that you aren't telling the truth, so there is that. 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/02/tech/china-pinduoduo-malware-cybersecurity-analysis-intl-hnk/index.html

Sure, it's just spying on China's Android users, and sure, the Chinese government would never acquire that data...but, concerning nonetheless.
    edited April 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Responsible US lawmakers: “China is a hostile nation intent on defeating the USA from within and without. We need to be careful and up our game, not feeding the dragon.”

cook: “but but but… more money! Sure we handed over data centers and invested 275 billion dollars into an actual evil communist dictatorship, but it’s good for our checkbooks.” 

The world: 🤯
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7JcAvnbRtE&list=TLPQMDIwNDIwMjO8VpI-6ewZrw
    9secondkox2williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 20
    tmay said:
    blastdoor said:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/02/tech/china-pinduoduo-malware-cybersecurity-analysis-intl-hnk/index.html

Sure, it's just spying on China's Android users, and sure, the Chinese government would never acquire that data...but, concerning nonetheless.
    Pinduoduo stole IP from Amazon. Is that truth?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 20
    tmay said:
    blastdoor said:

Odd question given that the story is wrt the Pinduoduo app escalating permissions on Android devices to steal data, and that is in fact illegal in China. But okay, sure, Pinduoduo has launched Temo in the U;S. as an online competitor to Amazon, which is "truth", so of course, U.S. users should be "concerned", but nowhere did the article or I mention anything about store IP.

I won't be one of those users, needless to state, and we in the U.S. won't be able to download the app Pindoudou app through the Google App Store.
    edited April 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    blastdoor said:

Odd question given that the story is wrt the Pinduoduo app escalating permissions on Android devices to steal data, and that is in fact illegal in China. But okay, sure, Pinduoduo has launched Temo in the U;S. as an online competitor to Amazon, which is "truth", so of course, U.S. users should be "concerned", but nowhere did the article or I mention anything about store IP.

I won't be one of those users, needless to state, and we in the U.S. won't be able to download the app Pindoudou app through the Google App Store.
    Because I was discussing truth. I gave you one example of truth. 
  • Reply 15 of 20
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    blastdoor said:

Because I was discussing truth. I gave you one example of truth. 
    You made a statement without support as if it was fact, and then asked a question wrt to the truth of the statement. 

This is the part where you link to backup your statement, or I won't recognize your "truth", and I certainly didn't make that statement about Amazon, nor did the article that I linked. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 20
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,851member
    I trust the people on AppleInsider, more than I trust that group of dumb no nothing congressman from a tech standpoint.
    waveparticlewatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,851member
    Many on AI might know China better than, the current members of Congress whom seem to forget that Nixon and Kissinger started this self-inflicted wound along with all those American CEOs who sent a large part of the American industrial base over to China starting 50 years ago with a meeting of the minds, it’s obvious who got the best of that meeting the Art of War executed perfectly by the Chinese. (Before the meeting the Chinese wanted to remain isolated like North Korea but they were convinced otherwise). :smile: 

The increasing housing unaffordability gap in all of the English speaking countries across the world the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand for people between 17 and 45, the hostility towards building infrastructure, particularly infrastructure needed by the majority of people, particularly in transportation (the rail systems), hospitals, schools those things are not on China. Those are internal problems, and last, but not least a free-for-all gun problem in America, which is a whole other story and that ain’t China’s fault either.

It all seems like a “Ball of Confusion”, or “the new boss is the same as the old”.
    edited April 2023 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20
    danox said:
    Many on on AI might know China better than, the current members of Congress whom seem to forget that Nixon and Kissinger started this self-inflicted wound along with all those American CEOs who sent a large part of the American industrial base over to China starting 50 years ago with a meeting of the minds, it’s obvious who got the best of that meeting the Art of War executed perfectly by the Chinese. (Before the meeting the Chinese wanted to remain isolated like North Korea but they were convinced otherwise). :smile: 

The increasing housing unaffordability gap in all of the English speaking countries across the world the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand for people between 17 and 45, the hostility towards building infrastructure, particularly infrastructure needed by the majority of people, particularly in transportation (the rail systems), hospitals, schools those things are not on China. Those are internal problems, and last, but not least a free-for-all gun problem in America, which is a whole other story and that ain’t China’s fault either.

It all seems like a “Ball of Confusion”, or “the new boss is the same as the old”.
    They are just players in a cultural game. Have you read the book Future Shock? 
  • Reply 19 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    So Disney's CEO, Bob Iger, is going to be the first business leader the group wants to speak with. There is a list of 10 or more businessmen on the agenda to talk about the movie industry's ties to China and the special care needed in dealing with them. I'll guess the concern of the lawmakers is China's control over the way they are presented in film, and what challenges the industry has when accepting an investment from Chinese businessmen for a movie or series development. 

China probably operates in ways similar to Apple's restrictions on their products never being used by bad guys or shown in any potentially negative scenario, but by magnitudes more. It's a difficult to navigate flattening of the playing field with China now insisting they be treated only in positive ways,  just as in the past the US was traditionally seen as the good guys.
    edited April 2023