If your iPhone calls emergency services, don't hang up if you're fine says Apple

Posted:
in iPhone
As Apple works to reduce the number of false alarms created by its iPhone 14 Crash Detection, it's also saying that users should not cancel an unintended emergency call.

Crash Detection can save a life, but it also strains emergency services
Crash Detection can save a life, but it also strains emergency services

The iPhone 14 introduced Crash Detection, which among many other aspects, uses the accelerometer to identify when a user has suddenly stopped. If that is sudden and there are enough other triggers, the iPhone will start the process of making an emergency call.

Where there have been problems with this is both in how often Crash Detection is accidentally triggered -- and users not noticing that an emergency call has been placed. The iPhone will show an alert and even begin making what Apple describes in its support documentation as "loud whoops to get your attention."

Nonetheless, sufficient people miss that their iPhone is making an emergency call that it is now an issue for emergency services.

For instance, a skier who has their phone deep in a pocket may not hear the sound. Or that sound is drowned out because the user is on a rollercoaster.

Now as first spotted by MacRumors, Apple has updated its support documentation to address one factor of this problem.

"If the call has been made, but you don't need emergency services, don't hang up," it says. "Wait until a responder answers, then explain that you don't need help."

The inference, of course, is that when someone hangs up, emergency services can't be sure it's deliberate, and not that something else has happened to the user or their phone.

While ever more finely tuned Crash Detection may ultimately be the answer to stopping false positives, this at least may cut down how much time and resources they take up for the emergency services.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    I wonder if this is“don’t hang up” suggestion also holds true for fall detection on the Apple Watch. 
  • Reply 2 of 3
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    I was riding my motorcycle the other day and unknown to me the jacket was pushing on the side button. I thought someone was calling me, so I ignored it. Then I thought, I was hearing a siren sound but wasn't sure what it was.

When I finally got home, I see a text from my brother (emergency contact) asking what was going on. Looked at my phone and there were multiple calls to 911 and texts to my brother. I had to turn off the side button feature. Just pushing the button and then cancel w/o selecting the SOS choice was calling and texting?
    bala1234Alex_Vmistergsf
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    omasou said:
    I was riding my motorcycle the other day and unknown to me the jacket was pushing on the side button. I thought someone was calling me, so I ignored it. Then I thought, I was hearing a siren sound but wasn't sure what it was.

When I finally got home, I see a text from my brother (emergency contact) asking what was going on. Looked at my phone and there were multiple calls to 911 and texts to my brother. I had to turn off the side button feature. Just pushing the button and then cancel w/o selecting the SOS choice was calling and texting?
    This happened to me as well recently.  The edge of my riding glove at my wrist was pushing on the side button.  Luckily, I noticed it and stopped before I got on the freeway.  When I explained what had happened to the dispatcher, she was just glad that I was safe and that I did the right thing by answering.
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam