iPhone 15 Pro may not get solid-state buttons due to technical issues

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited April 2023
Apple has reportedly abandoned adding solid-state buttons to the iPhone 15 Pro due to production issues.

Solid-state buttons were expected for iPhone 15 Pro
Solid-state buttons were expected for iPhone 15 Pro

Multiple reliable sources suggested that the mute switch, volume, and power buttons would be replaced by solid-state components in the iPhone 15 Pro models. This controversial change would improve device watertight integrity and add new gestures.

However, a new report from Ming-Chi Kuo states that Apple has abandoned the solid-state buttons due to technical issues. This change comes during the EVT development stage, which gives the company time to make final hardware decisions like this.

Since Apple will revert the design to its physical buttons, this should reduce complexity and simplify development, according to Kuo. The last-minute change will have a limited impact on mass production or shipping schedules.

This report arrived only moments after Jeff Pu, an analyst at Hong Kong-based investment firm Haitong International Securities, made a similar declaration. It seems likely that the solid-state buttons were indeed planned but won't be implemented now.

Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 15 Pro during an event in September 2023. It could feature a rounded titanium frame with a new periscope telephoto lens.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,966member
    Here’s another rumour 
    Because Apple had been thinking of going with solid state buttons, Samsung definitely will have them on their next models. They won’t work worth a d**n but Samsung can say “First!”
    Anilu_7779secondkox2caladanianlkruppretrogusto
  • Reply 2 of 13
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,413member
    Thank goodness!  
    Using tried and true button tech will better ensure iPhone 15 is a very solid performer!
    9secondkox2caladanian
  • Reply 3 of 13
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,017member
    Unintended registration will be a fundamental design flaw of solid state buttons on a handheld device as I mentioned weeks ago. If true, this is the best news possible. 

Sometimes, you just can’t do better than the wheel, no matter how transcendent your engineering capability. 
    edited April 2023 aaplfanboyPetrolDavecaladanianlkruppwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Good news. If Apple would now just move the right button a little higher to prevent even further accidental clicks. That’s a problem for me since years. 
    dewmeiOS_Guy80williamlondonmystigo
  • Reply 5 of 13
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,130member
    I wonder if this is a result of internal user prototype feedback. I can think of several reasons why this wouldn’t be desirable, and it doesn’t seem to really solve any significant problem from a user perspective. Seems like a classic example of “if it ain’t broke…”

Or maybe it was just fake info planted to root out a leaker. 
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I wonder if this is a result of internal user prototype feedback.
    Or maybe it was simply wrong.

Certain outlets once proclaimed that Apple was killing off the headphone jack.  When it turned out that they were only removing it on platforms that couldn't physically support it, those same outlets claimed that Apple changed direction based on user feedback.  Which is simply bullshit, as Apple was never killing off the headphone jack in the first place and those certain outlets couldn't bring themselves to admit that they made a mistake.
    williamlondongenovelle
  • Reply 7 of 13
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,131member
    Good news. If Apple would now just move the right button a little higher to prevent even further accidental clicks. That’s a problem for me since years. 
    Concur.

I kinda just want it to work. If the buttons aren’t ready, fine. I do find some amusement in the iPod touch I still have with a black insert in the back where the “not ready” camera was supposed to go.
    JFC_PA
  • Reply 8 of 13
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 946member
    Any other device use them and if so how do cases function?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member
    I find it amazing that Apple can be painted in a poor light for technical issues with a design they haven’t even revealed. Sometimes these phantom products and issues can even negatively effect their stock price. 

What is never postulated is that the analysts are likely wrong, a lot 
    tht
  • Reply 10 of 13
    longfanglongfang Posts: 511member
    JFC_PA said:
    Cut out where the button is located?
    JFC_PA
  • Reply 11 of 13
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 946member
    Makes sense, of course, just like the cutout at the bottom. The recess prevents any direct contact with anything harmful. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,339member
    longfang said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Cut out where the button is located?
    I am currently using a Spigen Ultra hybrid case... the sides of the case are too thick to just cutout a space for the button. I would think cases like MNML and Peel would work as they sit almost flush against the side of the phone, but that isn't so for most non ultra thin cases. On the Spigen I mentioned there is a cutout currently for the mute switch and it's way too deep to be able to use if the same was done for a solid state button.. let's say volume up or down requires a slide of your finger.. even with a cutout this would be almost impossible to do with any kind of accuracy.

• Reply 13 of 13
    DAalseth said:
    Here’s another rumour 
    Because Apple had been thinking of going with solid state buttons, Samsung definitely will have them on their next models. They won’t work worth a d**n but Samsung can say “First!”
    Apple already uses a solid state button on the SE (and all the way back to the iPhone 8) and Samsung hasn't felt the need to use them. They kinda suck, no matter how well done they are - haptic feedback is never as good as a real button.