3 Favorite CDs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
1. Radiohead, Amnesiac

The last song on it is my favorite, took a few listens to really figure the disc out, but its so interesting. .

2. Cursive, The Ugly Organ

I thought the Cursives Domestica was a favorite till this one came out

3. Modest Mouse, The Moon and Antartica

Conbines the traditional 'odd'(i would call it modest mouse style vocals but thats not very descritive) vocals with better, more diverse instrumentals than the earlyier cds

Worst CD:

Semisonics, All about chemistry,

Its just pretty godamn awful, though I like Feeling Strangly Fine.

Other artists that deserve mention: Belle and Sebastian, Bright Eyes, Nickel Creek, Sigur Ros.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    1. Passion, Peter Gabriel

2. Cult (??? or any cd of), Apocalyptica

3. Varies with time ... now the vote would go probably for Movimiento, Madredeus.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    Right now it's:
    • Sea Change by Beck

• White Blood Cells by The White Stripes

• Is This It by The Strokes

Certainly not my favorite albums of all time, but I would have a hard time limiting that list to only three.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Downware Spiral (NIN)

Meddle (Pink Floyd)

Highway 61 Revisited (Bob Dylan)
  • Reply 4 of 49
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Right now, giving it way too little thought:

Disintegration - The Cure (but that's a known fact, I reckon)

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Autobahn - Kraftwerk

But I'll give it some more thought (>5 secs, essentially being a choice out of what I have listened to recently) tomorrow.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    are we talking desert island type picks?

if so......

miles davis - bitches brew

john coltrane - a love supreme

thelonious monk - monk's music
  • Reply 6 of 49
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Right now or all time? Well since I like a lot of different genres it is hard to really give a top 3 but I will give my best attempt. Also to pick only 3 CDs all time would be incredibly hard for me...so many classic albums out there.

Top 3 right now:

In my opinion Kweli is the best emcee in the game right now, his lyrics are awesome and his music can appeal to a lot of different people. He isn't your average bling bling money cash hoes rappers....his words really have a lot of meaning to them. A lot of people get hip hop confused with that stuff they hear on the radio or on MTV/BET....Kweli stays true to the game.

Legendary Roots crew. Favorite songs on this are "Rolling With Heat" and "Break You Off".

What can I say about J5? They have a fresh sound and are my favorite group. J5 just rocks period.

Some other albums I like:

Michelle Branch is an awesome songwriter and she has a really good voice.

Self-explanatory.

This mixtape is dope. Pretty much every song is good. A must for any hip-hop head.

There are lots of CDs I could list...most that you guys would never have heard about but I'll keep it short.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    as far as albums go (who buys cds anymore? honestly?), right now my favs are:

Soul Rebel - Bob Marley and the Wailers

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Live at the Fillmore West (July 16, 1966) - Grateful Dead

i aint sure if the last one was cut and packaged as an album, but i burned myself a cd, so i think it meets the requirements. and this list is highly volative, and changes will great frequency. Usually whatever new album I get (download) is the fav for a while. Those three have lasted a bit.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

I was really doubting between that and 'Dark Side of the Moon'. I entered Pink Floyd by way of WYWH, and I have loved it dearly ever since. I thought it was my favorite, untill, maybe two weeks ago, when I started realising DSOTM had more of the variety that might be necessary for an 'opus' of this kind to hold itself at the top. Nevertheless, it's a close call. Both are freakishly good.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    As long as we're talking general 'CD' here, I'd also like to mention non-musical CDs. Out of the top of my head, here's two exquisite ones:

Arizona Bay - Bill Hicks (it takes a few listens to start realising how extraordinary Bill Hicks really is).

Bigger 'n Blacker - Chris Rock (this is sure to crack me up violently. "uh, can I help you to some DICK?!" )
  • Reply 10 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I was really doubting between that and 'Dark Side of the Moon'. I entered Pink Floyd by way of WYWH, and I have loved it dearly ever since. I thought it was my favorite, untill, maybe two weeks ago, when I started realising DSOTM had more of the variety that might be necessary for an 'opus' of this kind to hold itself at the top. Nevertheless, it's a close call. Both are freakishly good.

i agree! actually the floyd was freakishly good from "meddle" through "animals" but gosh my fave would be "animals."

now someone will say what about "the wall"? but i've always thought of that as roger water's first solo album.

the stones were freakishly good from "beggars banquet" through "exile on main st."
  • Reply 11 of 49
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    well, only three discs is hard to justify,

if i'm planning the desert island trip, i'll burn custom mixed cd's

if aliens grab me, but offer to stop at hmv, i'd pick up

for the writing, and singalong value

for the energy, and dance value

for inspiration and awestruck reflection

can i just take next week's new iPod?

* none of the above choices are currently loaded in my CD changer.

today it contains:

Ry Cooder + Manuel Galban | Mambo Sinuendo

Molly Johnson | Another Day

Traffic | Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
  • Reply 12 of 49
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i agree! actually the floyd was freakishly good from "meddle" through "animals" but gosh my fave would be "animals."

now someone will say what about "the wall"? but i've always thought of that as roger water's first solo album.

the stones were freakishly good from "beggars banquet" through "exile on main st."

with the exception of the wall, i love just about everything pf has done. the wall seems to scattered, there seems to be a lot going on. i really like their early work, with Syd Barret. Syd's songs are so playful and fun, I feel like i'm a little kid when I hear them ("I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell and rings and things to make it look good." only 1 multisyllabic word, lyrical genius). but i especially love grooving on wywh; thinking about how it relates back to ol' Syd. wywh can always put my mind at ease and prepare me for a spritual experience.

i like a good deal of stones songs, but i played them out over the past year or two and can't listen to them much anymore. i dont remember what album 'sister morphine' is on, but i remember it hit my ears very nicely ("tell me, sister morphine, when are you coming 'round again? oh. i dont think i wait that long.")
  • Reply 13 of 49
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I have five actually

"Once in the Red Moon" - Secret Garden

"Eden" - Sarah Brightman

"The Mask and Mirror" - Loreena McKenitt

"Josh Groban" - Josh Groban

"Méav" - Méav
  • Reply 14 of 49
    you know, it's funny i don't think of syd's floyd as the same as the other floyd. i love sid. especially his solo's, which are deliciously self indulgent.

i seperate floyd this way.

sid-floyd (the first two)

post sid-floyd ("more" through "animals")

roger-floyd (the wall & final cut)

bad-floyd (post final cut)(not even as good as gilmour's solos. it's like he was trying to make a "pink floyd" record, or what he thought people want out of a pink floyd record.)

sister morphine was on "sticky fingers" which falls in the freakishly good period.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    seanmseanm Posts: 69member
    I find myself playing these albums quite often:

Ram-Zet, Escape - This original band is just wonderful. Imagine carzy-arsed male vocals often jumping between painful screaming and maniacal whispers mixed in with beautiful female vocals. Combine those vocals with heavy guitars, keyboards, and violins and you'll have Ram-Zet. Short clips can be found @ http://www.Ram-Zet.com The full version of Queen canbe found at http://mp3.centurymedia.com/RamZet_Queen_Escape.mp3 Pray can be found at http://www.centurymedia.de/century/p...m-Zet_Pray.mp3

Lacuna Coil, Comalies - Goth-metal band with male and female vocals. If you like Evanescence do yourself a favor and check out LC. This Italian band rocks me in every which way. http://www.centurymedia.de/century/p...il_Swamped.mp3

My Dying Bride, The Deadful Hours- Dark, depressing, romantic ---commonly described as the Edgar Allen Poe of metal. http://www.mydyingbride.org/samples/index.html

-sean

np: Opeth, Death Whispered a Lullaby
  • Reply 16 of 49
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Holy hell, just 3? Well...as of today it would be:

Peter Gabriel - Security

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads

PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love

Ask me again tomorrow and you'll get 3 different answers.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Although, in reading through the posts, I'd probably have to put at least 1 Pink Floyd in my *life list*. WYWH and DSOTM are both phenominal, on that I agree, but if I were to pick just 1 and 1 PF only, it would have to be Meddle. Reminds me of the good old days traveling the American Western desert with a VW van, a Basenji named 7 and a food-colouring container filled to the brim with Liquid. Good Times?.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Nice music taste here

Yes three is a hard number to scale down too. . . and of course my favorites(and other peoples as mentioned) are subject to change, say every 5 days or so
  • Reply 19 of 49
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    3. Hmm....

[list=1][*]ok computer, radiohead[*]sea change, beck[*]yoshimi battles the pink robots, the flaming lips[/list=1]

Like most others, this will change probably tomorrow.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

3. Hmm....

[list=1][*]ok computer, radiohead[*]sea change, beck[*]yoshimi battles the pink robots, the flaming lips[/list=1]

Like most others, this will change probably tomorrow.

i'm dissapointed, no "little earthquakes?"

if i did a pop list that would be on it.