Dubious report forecasts 42-inch OLED iMacs by 2027

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited April 2023
Apple will be producing 32-inch and 42-inch displays or iMacs by 2027, analysts have forecast, with a complete phase-out of LCDs and mini LED displays in mobile devices set for 2026.

Apple Studio Display
Apple Studio Display

Apple has gradually been shifting from LCD to OLED for its various displays, and that shift is expected to continue for the next few years at least. According to a forecast from analysts at Omdia, Apple could have some physically big plans for OLED in the works.

The report, seen by OLED-info, insists that Apple will shift almost its entire product catalog to OLED by 2026, with a 10.9-inch iPad the sole model using LCD at that time. The iPad Pro 11-inch and 12.9-inch displays will apparently switch from Mini LED to hybrid OLED by 2024, the report insists.

This element appears to match other rumors on iPad Pro models, with a 2024 release anticipated. Another iPad model is outlined by analysts as a 20-inch foldable in a chart, which lines up with earlier rumors.

The report continues to say the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models will move to hybrid OLED in 2026.

Interestingly, the report adds information regarding the iMac, with a 32-inch model identified as coming in 2023, bearing a Mini LED panel, which will shift to QD OLED or WOLED by 2027. Similarly, an apparent 42-inch display will be introduced in 2027, using the same OLED technology.

An OLED display schedule [Omdia]
An OLED display schedule [Omdia]

Apple currently offers a 32-inch display, in the form of the Pro Display XDR, but not an iMac of that size. There were rumors of an Apple Studio Display with a 7K resolution in 2022, which would feasibly be 36 inches if it maintained the existing pixel density of the current variant.

While new larger displays using OLED sounds attractive, it is worth bearing in mind this is a forecast from analysts, rather than a supply chain survey or a product leak. Also, with a forecast covering multiple years, it's entirely possible for Apple to make changes to its product lineup, manufacturing schedules, and other elements of its business, or even kill off prospective products entirely.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ... the next iMac pro ...?
    Please bring it on...
    I run a (curved) 40" 4K every day @ 110 dpi and love it ...
    Flanked by portrait thunderbolt displays also coincidentally @ 110 dpi...
    edited April 2023 9secondkox2
  • Reply 2 of 10
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    Having a larger screen iMac 32” and above would eliminate the need for purchasing a large screen TV/monitor for many people, which is what I would like to do, I really don’t have any need for a separate television and have been getting along fine without a separate television, and all that entails and I am sure that there are many other people in recent times that have also eliminated the dedicated TV out of their life? Another possible use alternative in the next generation of 24 inch iMac computers would be making it so that you can have two 24 inch iMac sitting side-by-side with the capability of tying them together and using them as one computer?

Note: this is similar to eliminating the separate stereo component system, use for listening for listening to music, once I could use a dedicated audio editing program on a computer, with a good set of speakers, having a dedicated component stereo system became redundant.
    edited April 2023 9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    I use a 55” 4K TV as my only monitor on one of my Windows machines. It works very well, but I have to be sitting at least 5-6 feet away from the screen to use it for productive work. Otherwise it’s like sitting in the front row of a movie theatre, which is puke inducing for a lot of folks. This definitely places physical limits on the places you can use such a large monitor. I don’t know what the limits are for how large and wide of a screen you can use effectively on a standard 29-30 inch deep desk. 

The biggest advantage that I see with having a very large single screen is the ability to create multiple window panes that are always on top. I suppose there are some apps like video editing, massive spreadsheets, games, and videos that can use the full screen width but those are less common than simply being able to keep a lot more windows on top, and ideally always docked in your preferred location.
    muthuk_vanalingamJP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    bewoodbewood Posts: 8member
    I just purchased a 43” Samsung 4k display for my new Mac mini Pro this week. Absolutely love my new set up! I thought maybe the pixels would be too big, but not at all. I got the monitor for only $399 on Amazon too!
    JP2349secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I don't think it's as dubious as it sounds. 

Frankly I'm amazed that Apple's been able to get people to pay a premium for a 27" displays. 
    There are so many verticals today that require larger displays.   Content Creators,  people that use Conferencing 
    tools daily. 

@Bewood usage case isn't an anomaly. I've seen gamers that want to move to 42" display for more immersive gaming. 
    I've seen video people that want a larger display for seeing more timeline.   Music producers that want to see more tracks 
    busses and the like. 

People typically want as much display as they can comfortably accommodate in space. 

I actually think this could happen sooner rather than waiting another 4 years. 
    9secondkox2king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    32” iMac would be perfect. 

The only way it goes 42” is if it’s ultrawide. And that’s kind of interesting so long as they don’t do resolution trade offs like so many. 
    edited April 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member

The only way it goes 42” is if it’s ultrawide. And that’s kind of interesting so long as they don’t do resolution trade offs like so many. 
    2 by the current iMac 24 screen would be 42.7 inch that would be pretty handy screen size (8960x2520 at 218dpi).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    mattinoz said:

2 by the current iMac 24 screen would be 42.7 inch that would be pretty handy screen size (8960x2520 at 218dpi).
    I wouldn’t mind that setup. The only issue would be vertical screen size. Width would be nice, but the vertical would be a bit cramped I think.  

Even now, with 49” ultrawide like the Samsung g9 odyssey, some feel it’s a bit cramped vertically even though it’s the equivalent of two 27” monitors next to each other. 

I’d think Apple would have more vertical real estate than pc monitors due to its use ability standards and OS setup. 

42” could work if it wasn’t two 27” monitors, but maybe more like 1.5. 

Personally, I’d rather have the 32” though. 

But if they took the 32” and expanded the width so that it was 42” diagonal, that would be awesome. 

I do expect a 32” iMac. 27” is nothing special at all these days. 

But I’m also not-so-secretly hoping for a 42” ultrawide. So long as the resolution was appropriately retina, I’d buy that one. 

Nothing beats a desktop iMac form factor. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    I don't think it's as dubious as it sounds. 

Frankly I'm amazed that Apple's been able to get people to pay a premium for a 27" displays. 
    There are so many verticals today that require larger displays.   Content Creators,  people that use Conferencing 
    tools daily. 

@Bewood usage case isn't an anomaly. I've seen gamers that want to move to 42" display for more immersive gaming. 
    I've seen video people that want a larger display for seeing more timeline.   Music producers that want to see more tracks 
    busses and the like. 

People typically want as much display as they can comfortably accommodate in space. 

I actually think this could happen sooner rather than waiting another 4 years. 
    I would say that most people who want or need very large displays already have many options available to them. Large screens are everywhere, from conference rooms to electronic signage to process monitoring and human machine interfaces (HMIs), and obviously console based gaming. In retail, everything from mom & pop ice cream stores to the huge fast food chains have large screens everywhere, even in drive through lanes.

What I’m getting at is that is the use cases for very large displays tend to align around things that are not single-user, personal computing based, at least for the vast majority of users. Of course there will be some outliers, like the ones you’ve mentioned, but the iMac isn’t a machine looking for niche applications. It’s about as clean, unobtrusive, and non imposing on you and your home space or workplace as a personal computer can be. A single all-in-one unit you can place where you want to use it in your life with as few compromises as possible. Except not in your pocket, which is where the world’s most personal of personal computers already resides, i.e., your iPhone. 

I remember when people had “computer rooms” in their homes to accommodate all the claptrap that early personal computers imposed. I think we’ve moved in the opposite direction, with mainstream personal computers getting smaller rather than larger so they are more present and immediately accessible. The Goldilocks challenge for the iMac is finding the “just right” size, one that’s not “too small” or “too damn big.” Right now Apple seems to think that “just right” is right at the 24” mark. Maybe they’re on to something, especially since they used to make bigger iMacs.

If you’re hankering for a very big screen Mac, you can test your commitment by connecting a Mac mini to a large screen TV and see how it works out. I’m talking buggy screen as your only screen, not a second screen where you’re also using your MacBook Pro with its close-up screen, keyboard, and mouse. You may like it or you may find it too limiting. 
    watto_cobra