New Mac Studio rumor rides again thanks to Find My file leak

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited April 2023
Apple is seemingly preparing a number of new desktop Macs for launch at WWDC, thanks to a discovery within Find My.

Mac Studio
Mac Studio

WWDC 2023 is happening on June 5, and hardware is expected to launch alongside the usual software announcement. It appears part of those launches will be desktop Mac models.

Developer Nicolas Alvarez discovered listings for a "Mac10,8," "Mac14,13," and "Mac14,14" buried in a configuration file for Find My. The tweet and screenshot were posted to Twitter early on Saturday.

While the listings of unknown Mac identifiers would normally mean something Mac-related is on the way, this particular listing offers more clues. For a start, Alvarez points out they are in a list of devices where "You left your device behind" notifications should be disabled, a trait that should only be reserved for desktop Macs, rather than MacBook models.

The use of "Mac14" also indicates they are probably M2-equipped models. Some rumors have offered that Apple could make the M2 generation fairly short so it can move on to the M3, but this leak says otherwise.

As for what Macs could be introduced, it's unlikely to be the Mac mini as that is already on M2. That leaves the Mac Studio, the 24-inch iMac, and the Mac Pro.

Current rumors about WWDC launches center around MacBooks, such as the 15-inch MacBook Air.

There has been some doubt about the Mac Studio receiving an update at all, with it being in a precarious place of the product lineup if Apple does bring out a new Apple Silicon Mac Pro.

Despite the appearance in Find My's files, it's still possible that the listings aren't for WWDC-bound Mac desktops, and that they may arrive later than WWDC. On Friday, reliable leaker Mark Gurman claimed the new Mac Pro wouldn't arrive in time for WWDC, and insisted that the Mac Studio update wouldn't arrive until it gets an M3 chip.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Obviously M2 models for…
    - 24” iMac
    - Mac Studio “Max”
    - Mac Studio “Ultra”

Any M3 based systems won’t appear until Fall/Winter
    canukstormtenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Per 9to5mac:  "9to5Mac has evidence that Mac14,8 listed in the Find My files is the Apple Silicon Mac Pro, codenamed J180. "

Unreleased Macs show up in Apple's Find My (9to5mac.com)

I'm gonna guess that the 14,13 and 14,14 will be the iMac update (Possibly a 24" iMac with M2 and M2 Pro options)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I certainly hope 24” iMac is coming. My 2017 24” iMac is long in the tooth, and is significantly slower than my m1 MacBook Air. What’s my iMacs trade-in value? $75. 

Replacing the iMac with an m2 Mac mini, costs $3500. If the iMac stays around $1800, that’s a big difference, 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 10
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    mjtomlin said:
    Obviously M2 models for…
    - 24” iMac
    - Mac Studio “Max”
    - Mac Studio “Ultra”

M3, more like till 2024, along with a cheaper, less power consumption, non-developer Apple (AR/VR) Glasses/Goggles;  Where as the developer unit in 2023 WWDC will most likely use the M2 with the battery pack.  And the "Consumer" M3 AR/VR will have the option to disconnect the battery pack.
    So yeah I don't see M3 till Feb 2024 at the earliest...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 833member
    larryjw said:
    I certainly hope 24” iMac is coming. My 2017 24” iMac is long in the tooth, and is significantly slower than my m1 MacBook Air. What’s my iMacs trade-in value? $75. 

Replacing the iMac with an m2 Mac mini, costs $3500. If the iMac stays around $1800, that’s a big difference, 
    If 2017, that would be your 21" iMac, since the 24" screen didn't exist until the M1 redesign. And how do you get $3500 for an M2 Mac mini set-up, unless you're spec'ing it to the max and pairing with a 27" Apple Studio display--which you do not get with an $1800 iMac. 

Suggestion: if your iMac is in great shape and you have a robust Craigslist community, you'd get A LOT more than $75 for it by posting on CL. I also sell my used Apple gear on Craigslist and it sells quickly and at a very good price. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member

I would not be surprised if the Mac Studio  is be updated at the same time the Mac Pro is launched (which is becoming another PowerBook G5).
    edited April 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    rezwits said:
    mjtomlin said:
    Obviously M2 models for…
    - 24” iMac
    - Mac Studio “Max”
    - Mac Studio “Ultra”

M3, more like till 2024, along with a cheaper, less power consumption, non-developer Apple (AR/VR) Glasses/Goggles;  Where as the developer unit in 2023 WWDC will most likely use the M2 with the battery pack.  And the "Consumer" M3 AR/VR will have the option to disconnect the battery pack.

Well I think Apple is going to want to have an update for the MacBook Air during the holiday season, so I think we'll see an M3 Air late Fall.

I also tend to believe Apple will not release their rumored goggles without having a powerful Mac that can actually create content for it. So the Studio models will get updated to M2 at WWDC, and the new "M3-based" Mac Pro will be previewed with a TBD release.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    kelliekellie Posts: 50member
    With the dramatic drop in Mac sales, year over year down 40%, I’m sure apple is in no rush to bring an m3 to market.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 10
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    rezwits said:
    mjtomlin said:
    Obviously M2 models for…
    - 24” iMac
    - Mac Studio “Max”
    - Mac Studio “Ultra”

m3 will launch in fall. No later. Tsmc is already producing. 

M2 launched last fall. They won’t delay. Especially with the M2/pc industry-wide sales slump. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    kellie said:
    With the dramatic drop in Mac sales, year over year down 40%, I’m sure apple is in no rush to bring an m3 to market.
    Actually, with the m2 being widely ewcognized as a spec bumped m1 - especially with the GPU, Apple may want to launch m3 asap to inject some excitement and incentive to upgrade. 

The whole pc industry is slumping worse than apple. And the reason apple is slumping at all is due to m1 products being so good. M2 was not compelling enough over m1. But m3 will be. 
    watto_cobra