Hollywood writers' strike could lead to difficult times for Apple TV+, but Apple can handl...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple TV could suffer from an impending Hollywood writers' strike due to a small library and lack of unscripted content, but the company can easily weather the storm.

Apple TV+
Apple TV+

Hollywood is preparing for a potential writers' strike that might start on May 1 after the Writers Guild of America West and East members authorized a strike earlier in April. A strike isn't guaranteed, but media companies are making preparations since the last strike over a decade ago that further fueled reality television lasted for 100 days.

Analysts believe a strike would affect Apple, more than other companies, according to Business Insider. The company has focused on original films and series with A-list celebrities in a "quality over quantity" strategy.

But that has resulted in a smaller content library than rivals, and Apple TV+ has fewer scripted and unscripted titles. Apple also doesn't produce a lot of reality TV shows, which is part of the backup plans from Hollywood executives to produce content during a writers' strike.

A lack of fresh content due to a strike may also result in a drop in subscribers. "One hundred percent, it will impact churn," Michael Pachter, a media and entertainment analyst who serves as managing director for equity research at Wedbush Securities, said.

Although it's uncertain how long a strike may run, Pachter said it could reduce the number of new productions by 25% in 2023 if it lasted three months. However, Pachter also said Apple should be fine since it doesn't primarily rely on Apple TV+ for revenue.

"They're building a long-term brand of Apple TV+, which is something apart from all their devices and their cool software. And they're in the early innings," Pachter said, adding: "I think they literally have a 100-year vision -- not worried about making a quarter."

Apple's Services business generated $20.77 billion in revenue in the first quarter of 2023, which includes Apple TV+, iCloud, and other products. And that was a drop in the bucket of its overall revenue of $117.15 billion.

"Apple can just as easily -- more easily than almost any of the streamers -- take a pause," Alvin Lieberman, a professor and executive director of the entertainment, media, and technology program at New York University's Stern School of Business, said.

"If it turns out that they really have a wasteland in front of them for, let's say, 30, 60, 90 days, it would not damage their P&L," he continued. "It would not damage the perception that people have of Apple TV+."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Nobody watches AppleTV+ now, it drew just 0.18% of US video viewing in March.

https://twitter.com/TVGrimReaper/status/1648700991267803136?s=20

The fact that their unwatched service has some of their unwatched shows delayed for a short while should hardly be a problem for them.

Japheywilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 11
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member

The fact that their unwatched service has some of their unwatched shows delayed for a short while should hardly be a problem for them.

I think the saying goes "Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt."  I think you are misreading the data but to be sure it isn't clear.  The 0.18% seems to be the change YoY.  Apple doesn't release the information so it's hard to give too much credence to your source's "friendly source" but other sources have pegged Apple's share of streaming at around 6%.  I also see in the charts you linked that streaming altogether accounts for about 34% with broadcast, cable, and "other" (DVDs?) accounting for the rest.    6%(ATV+) of 34%(all streaming) puts Apple at about 2% all viewing.  Still not a raving success but it's not 0.18.  
    king editor the grateronnmike1williamlondonlolliver
  • Reply 3 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    We may have bought that “Quality over quantity” approach back when TV+ first began, but the mediocre new content* they have shat out since late last spring suggests that they have either abandoned that strategy completely, or it never actually existed to begin with. 

The problem for Apple, and every other streaming service, is that the talent pool for great writing is being spread way too thin. There are simply far more channels and services than there is talent, which is one of the main reasons for all the derivative content they are trying to pass off to viewers. How many remakes and reboots that nobody asked for do we really need? This should sort itself out once consolidation begins. But until then…I would suspect this strike will be short-lived so that everyone can get back to churning out as much garbage as possible for the masses. 

*Bad Sisters and Shrinking are the only exceptions, in our household at least. 
    nubusentropys
  • Reply 4 of 11
    williamh said:

I think the saying goes "Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt."  I think you are misreading the data but to be sure it isn't clear.  The 0.18% seems to be the change YoY.  Apple doesn't release the information so it's hard to give too much credence to your source's "friendly source" but other sources have pegged Apple's share of streaming at around 6%.  I also see in the charts you linked that streaming altogether accounts for about 34% with broadcast, cable, and "other" (DVDs?) accounting for the rest.    6%(ATV+) of 34%(all streaming) puts Apple at about 2% all viewing.  Still not a raving success but it's not 0.18.  
    No, you’re the mistaken one.

The quoted tweet does show y/y charges overall and for the “big” services.

But the Nielsen chart and the added text for the tiny services show the absolute share of viewing for the month of March, not the change.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 11
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    williamh said:

No, you’re the mistaken one.

The quoted tweet does show y/y charges overall and for the “big” services.

But the Nielsen chart and the added text for the tiny services show the absolute share of viewing for the month of March, not the change.
    I don't think so.  This source says Apple has 6%:  https://macdailynews.com/2023/04/14/apple-tv-holds-steady-with-6-u-s-streaming-market-share-as-netflix-cedes-first-place/   Apple isn't saying, so it's Just Watch vs TVGrimReaper's "friendly source."
    williamlondonlolliverforegoneconclusion
  • Reply 6 of 11
    nubusnubus Posts: 385member
    Quality? The fresh 1 star review of Ghosted (The Guardian) is worth reading. At this level Apple might improve quality by asking Siri to write the scripts.
    williamh
  • Reply 7 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Ghosted is being promoted (by Apple I assume) on YouTube TV, and I did give it a chance, expecting it to be at least well-conceived considering Apple standards. It looked like it was probably the type of casual movie I typically enjoy as a distraction. I was disappointed, lost interest midway thru, and never did finish watching it. 

Now four years in it doesn't seem to be progressing very quickly, so perhaps it's not a focus service of Apple's. I still have a free subscription (I think two years worth so far) but I don't think I'd pay for one at this point. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Perhaps on opportunity to find writers further afield? 
    It isn’t as though Hollywood is into originality these days.
    blastdoor
  • Reply 9 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    gatorguy said:
    Ghosted is being promoted (by Apple I assume) on YouTube TV, and I did give it a chance, expecting it to be at least well-conceived considering Apple standards. It looked like it was probably the type of casual movie I typically enjoy as a distraction. I was disappointed, lost interest midway thru, and never did finish watching it. 

Now four years in it doesn't seem to be progressing very quickly, so perhaps it's not a focus service of Apple's. I still have a free subscription (I think two years worth so far) but I don't think I'd pay for one at this point. 
    Well, it’s certainly much better than the gopher guts served up by Amazon Prime video. Nothing but a giant catalog of B movies by unknown producers, directors, and actors. And YouTube is even worse than Amazon, as well as a nightmare to navigate. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    If Apple was smart, they would have began stockpiling scripts like every other studio does. Then they use a producer for on set rewrites.

Of course there is always the possibility that other unions and guilds will not cross WGA’s picket lines.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    Apple could pivot to building their own game studio for all their platforms. 
    williamlondon