Apple Watch soars above the rest of the smartwatch crowd with high customer satisfaction

Posted:
in Apple Watch
According to a recent consumer poll, Apple has the highest level of "stickiness" among smartwatch brands, and almost 80% of iPhone owners have one.

Apple Watch Ultra
Apple Watch Ultra

Today's release of new research by Counterpoint Research emphasizes the success of the Apple Watch. According to the study, an Apple Watch is used by approximately 80% of iPhone owners who wear a smartwatch. In comparison, 71% of Android users who buy a smartwatch also own a Pixel Watch, making them more devoted to the Pixel Watch.

The survey lists the top smartwatch features, as rated by users, including messaging and calling, health and activity tracking, and notification access. While younger users prefer notification and messaging services, older wristwatch owners emphasize health more.

More than 70% of consumers are "very satisfied" with their Apple Watch thanks to these features, according to Apple. Eighty-two percent of respondents said they wear their Apple Watch every day.

"Our consumer research survey supports a general premise of ours - consumers generally purchase their devices as part of a broader ecosystem of devices and operating systems," said Research Analyst Matthew Orf. "Apple and iOS dominate the US smartphone market, and iPhone users are more likely to adopt other Apple products due to their superior interoperability."

According to Counterpoint's poll, 59% of participants bought their smartwatch during the last year, 50% indicated they planned to buy a new model within the following year, and 16% said they intended to upgrade within the next two years. As for their future wristwatch, 77% of respondents said they plan to get an Apple Watch.

"The share of respondents willing to pay $500 or more for their next smartwatch was double the share of those who stated they spent $500 or more on their current smartwatch, suggesting rising ASPs for the segment," the report concludes.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JP234 said:

But it's the seamless integration with the iPhone/iOS that makes it better than the Android equivalents, and no doubt we all feel the same way, and that's why the Apple Watch rules the smartwatch market.
    The only response I ever get from someone wearing an Android watch is, “I like the round screen better.” And  I almost never see an Android watch being worn in public. Even the low paid clerks at fast food places wear Apple watches.
    edited April 2023 williamlondonJP234radarthekat
  • Reply 2 of 19
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Yes, very satisfied with my Series 4. Helped me get more fit, notifications are nice, live seeing weather information at the flick of a wrist, Apple Pay is great, playing podcasts & music from it is game changer, and battery life is still good after 4 years.

Thinking about getting this Fall's models, but we will see.
    williamlondonchasmradarthekat
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Originally had a Series 2. Before getting one my wife asked why did I need one and I remember saying I don’t, but it would become one of those things that simply gets integrated into routine and before you know it, it’s something you use all of the time. She replied with, fine. I want one too. Flash forward to the release of the series 7; it carved out a huge space in our lives that we both upgraded from the aluminum to the steel. One of the many things I appreciate about the watch is the ability for me to not have my phone with me at all times. Working out, it’s just my watch and AirPods. One the golf course having a round of party golf, it provides me my yardage, scorecard, ability to play music, and buy rounds off of the drink cart; all while never pulling out my phone. Apple truly did nail the why and how one would use a device on your wrist.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    The best part of using my Apple Watch is able to listen to Apple Music with AirPod while vacuuming the house with sweat pants minus 20 lbs iPhone 14 Pro Max in my pocket. And controlling the volume of music from the Apple Watch with any Bluetooth Speaker connected to my iPhone 14 Pro Max in a separated room while washing dishes in the kitchen. And notify me when my heart beat is 120 BPM due to being drunk. Love it.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    GnagueGnague Posts: 1member
    Love everything about my series 8 Apple 41 mm Watch. I haven’t worn regular watch in 30 years but when I saw all the features of apple watch, I couldn’t resist to try it! I fell in love with it. I have access to practically everything on my iPhone. Don’t even have to carry it with me. I can have incoming & outgoing calls, listen to my music, know the weather right off the bat, GPS, take photos using my camera remote, know the daily steps & miles I do, my sleeping habits, all health sensors, messages & best of all my Ring Door security alert that shows me who’s at my door. I’m excited to see how the Crash Detection & Emergency Feature really works. This is really the Best Watch to have.
    ravnorodomchasmradarthekat
  • Reply 6 of 19
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    JP234 said:
    In my first 65 years, I never wore a watch or any other jewelry, for that matter. Just didn't like the way things felt hanging on me. I bought my wife the first gen Apple Watch right after it was released. At that time, she was the only person in the school where she taught to have one, and both teachers and students were all over her, asking about it. After a year or so, I saw how well she incorporated it into her daily routine, I decided to give it a try, and bought the new 3 series for myself. And I got used to the feeling of it on my wrist. My series 7 is a constant in my life, setting alarms, timers, calendar events, our thermostat, checking the weather, and oh yeah, telling the time. In addition, it bullies me into getting off my butt and standing, and exercising too. I've used the heart rate, ECG, blood oxygen, and mindfulness apps too.

But it's the seamless integration with the iPhone/iOS that makes it better than the Android equivalents, and no doubt we all feel the same way, and that's why the Apple Watch rules the smartwatch market.
    Apple Watch is integrated with Apple CarPlay Apple Maps. It will notify you to take next freeway exit. 
    JP234radarthekatwilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    80%, or four out of five, iPhone owners have an Apple Watch?
    And 71% of android phone users have a pixel watch.
    59% bought a smart watch inthe last year?

I am sorry, but those ridiculous stats render this whole article a joke.
    edited April 2023 jony0
  • Reply 8 of 19
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    entropys said:

The stats are based on a specific wrist-worn device maker for a specific handheld device maker from "owners who wear a smartwatch."  In other words, if you own an iPhone and a "smartwatch", there's a 80% chance that it'll be an Apple Watch. I don't think that's too high. If anything I'd say it's low, but that's because I wouldn't count fitness trackers as smartwatches, which this study may consider one and the same for their research.
    chasmradarthekatwilliamlondonjony0
  • Reply 9 of 19
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I’m amazed that my series 3 watch is still going strong.
    chasmradarthekat
  • Reply 10 of 19
    JP234 said:
    The best part of using my Apple Watch is able to listen to Apple Music with AirPod while vacuuming the house with sweat pants minus 20 lbs iPhone 14 Pro Max in my pocket. And controlling the volume of music from the Apple Watch with any Bluetooth Speaker connected to my iPhone 14 Pro Max in a separated room while washing dishes in the kitchen. And notify me when my heart beat is 120 BPM due to being drunk. Love it.
    20 LB iPhone? LOL! What is it made of, a collapsed star?
    That’s what it feels like when wearing sweat pants with this super sized iPhone inside pocket. 
    JP234williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 19
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    entropys said:

80 percent of the PARTICIPANTS IN THE SURVEY. Ditto the other stats.

They’re not ridiculous, but the fact that you somehow missed this is.

Counterpoint certainly advertised the survey as being about smartphones and smartwatches when looking for participants, so — surprise! — the people who volunteered were almost certainly owners of at least one, of those two things.

That’s how surveys generally work, btw.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 19
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    daven said:
    I’m amazed that my series 3 watch is still going strong.
    I had mine for years, but finally gave in for the Series 7 because it had some features I really wanted. I imagine I’ll be on board for the Series 11 as well. :)
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 19
    rundhvidrundhvid Posts: 122member
    Eighty-two percent of respondents said they wear their Apple Watch every day.

This fraction is one of several critical aspects that is handled problematic in the report!

—the 18% of  Watch users who do not wear their watch during the day, doesn’t classify their watch as a smartwatch, but most likely only use it while exercising. These 18% of users should therefore have been excluded from the study of satisfaction among smartwatch-users.

williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 19
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    rundhvid said:

This fraction is one of several critical aspects that is handled problematic in the report!

—the 18% of  Watch users who do not wear their watch during the day, doesn’t classify their watch as a smartwatch, but most likely only use it while exercising. These 18% of users should therefore have been excluded from the study of satisfaction among smartwatch-users.

I don't wear my Apple Watch every day. Nearly every day, but I have a few scattered days throughout a year where the Watch isn't used. I don't even use it for exercise any longer even though I used to record such activity when I purchased the original. Now it's mostly just as a backup cellphone, voice texting, and other widgets. Would I be excluded from such a study in your opinion?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 19
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I’d love to know what percentage of Apple iPhone owners, by iPhone model, wear an Apple Watch and which Watch model.  That matrix would be very interesting. 
  • Reply 16 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Agreed, and more useful. Although I expect Apple knows this exactly.
    edited April 2023
  • Reply 17 of 19
    JP234 said:
    rundhvid said:

You can't selectively exclude responses to get a desired result. Well, you can, but then you'd be no better than FoxNews.
    It’s the other way around @JP234 ; 😉

1. Your study protocol says “satisfaction among smartwatch-users”.
    2. Eligible participants are therefore watch-owners that classify their watch as a smartwatch.
    3. Exclusion criteria could include something like “watch used unless charging or showering”.

1, 2 & 3 are defined prior to data collection — precisely to avoid the data-massage that you rightfully object to.
    Failure to exclude the 18% of users invalidated the results of the study, just as it would, if 18% of the study population were owners of mechanical analog watches.

The proportion of medical research that—as you emphasize—is no better than FoxNews, is a
    larmingly high, which obviously is more critical than customer satisfaction surveys, but in both cases, most of these problems are easily avoided.
    JP234
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Xed said:
    rundhvid said:

I don't wear my Apple Watch every day. Nearly every day, but I have a few scattered days throughout a year where the Watch isn't used. I don't even use it for exercise any longer even though I used to record such activity when I purchased the original. Now it's mostly just as a backup cellphone, voice texting, and other widgets. Would I be excluded from such a study in your opinion?
    —in my opinion, you exemplify the very core of the study population, and nothing in your description suggests that you should have been excluded from the study, @Xed ;
    The usefulness of research and surveys depend on outlining the study protocol prior to data being collected and that the investigator adheres to the protocol when analyzing the data.