Delete old members

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
now I know this is a very low priority, but i think it should be talked about...

what should we do with regard to old/abandoned/duplicate registrations?

i think that AI should display an accurate # of members that visit the site on at least a yearly basis... Im sure there are some registrations that are excessively old and have not been used in over a year without activity of any kind...

should we delete these old accounts?

I vote yes...

(or has management already made a decision about it...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I noticed that there were a lot of names created a long time ago that didn't even post once.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    over 300 people who have less then 10 posts and haven't posted in a year:

search :eek:
  • Reply 3 of 26
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    ...see what peopel do with a proper search funtion

i agree...say yes to peopel that say no to posting
  • Reply 4 of 26
    bump...

any word?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

bump...

any word?

haha nice job
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

over 300 people who have less then 10 posts and haven't posted in a year:

search :eek:

now we are up to 400 posters... granted it is only 5%, but still

Edit: excuse me, I misspoke...

2400 members are extraneous... thats like 30%
  • Reply 7 of 26
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I'm all for it!
  • Reply 8 of 26
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    It's an interesting question. Perhaps some of this ghost posters only read forum, but do not participate in it.

I don't know if it's technically possible to delete old account in mass, and i expect if we choose this option that nobody will protest.

However like many of others people here, knowing the number of active member is more interesting than knowing the total number of posters.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

However like many of others people here, knowing the number of active member is more interesting than knowing the total number of posters.

Exactomundo!
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Exactomundo!

hey! you are invisible! you shouldn't get to look!

("Do they speak English in 'what'?

Say 'what' again! SAY 'WHAT' AGAIN!")
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

hey! you are invisible! you shouldn't get to look!

WHAT?
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Personally, this sounds a little over the top to me. Some people only post when they have a question about products and others post for a long time and then take breaks. Still others only appear when Steve Jobs has safely turned the corner of the building and feel safe to post inside info on the latest tasty morsel of Apple hardware: insiders who we may not hear from for months or longer at a time and who may only post very infrequently but whose posts are highly informative/entertaining.

ps. I notice that those concerned with this are people with very high post counts...
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

ps. I notice that those concerned with this are people with very high post counts...

we're just the ones who also read Suggestions...
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

Personally, this sounds a little over the top to me. Some people only post when they have a question about products and others post for a long time and then take breaks. Still others only appear when Steve Jobs has safely turned the corner of the building and feel safe to post inside info on the latest tasty morsel of Apple hardware: insiders who we may not hear from for months or longer at a time and who may only post very infrequently but whose posts are highly informative/entertaining.

if they registered and NEVER POSTED FOR OVER A YEAR I think any inside info that they may have had is gone...

also, a lot of these members are duplicates...

some of them have some good names too "jack" for example... what if jack from ATAT wanted to post here? his handle has been taken

in all seriousness, none of these people have ever really contributed to AI... I'd wager that 99% of them don't even visit mac related sites let alone AI... and some may not even be on the internet anymore!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

we're just the ones who also read Suggestions...

Not only 4-figure posters read Suggestions...
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

if they registered and NEVER POSTED FOR OVER A YEAR I think any inside info that they may have had is gone...

also, a lot of these members are duplicates...

some of them have some good names too "jack" for example... what if jack from ATAT wanted to post here? his handle has been taken

in all seriousness, none of these people have ever really contributed to AI... I'd wager that 99% of them don't even visit mac related sites let alone AI... and some may not even be on the internet anymore!

Ok, so if someone hasn't voted in a couple of elections do you think they ought to have their citizenship revoked?

Seriously though, many of your assertions may be right about poster's activities or the lack thereof but I still feel personally uncomfortable about cancelling people's accounts without them asking the admin to do so or at least without the admin giving them plenty of forewarning of the possibility of a cancellation and giving them the opportunity to say: No, I wish to keep my AI account.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Also, it's like the post counts of some of the people here: not quality but quantity (not targetting anyone in this thread though, rest assured), because everyone is impressed by large numbers. Therefore, more members, no problem. I wouldn't know what the problem is. (except if they burden the servers and databases, which I don't think idle members do. And I guess you have at least room for 64000 members, maybe a lot more).
  • Reply 18 of 26
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I think this is a bit over the top; those folks who post once in a blue moon may have some genuine information for us, and would be miffed if their login had been deleted.

Look at the bottom of the front page of the forums: that currently reports that 149 of 8133 members are active, and that the most members logged in at once was 222, which suggests a fairly consistent hard core of regular readers/posters.

Sure, if we're pushed for storage, start wiping, but it's not doing anyone any harm in the meantime.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Delete old members?

I am 39. Do I get deleted?

What would Logan do? Run, run!
  • Reply 20 of 26
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Check it out, ya'll: Over 3300 member names have NEVER posted. About half of them registered one year ago or longer. Why keep them around. Really? They have made NO effort to participate in conversation, and don't seem to desire to do so.