iPhone will catch a sales block in EU countries if Apple limits USB-C

Posted:
in iPhone
The European Union is taking measures to ensure that Apple won't restrict charging and data transfer rates via USB-C for the iPhone 15 and later.

The EU warns Apple not to throttle USB-C
The EU warns Apple not to throttle USB-C

Apple is likely working on adding USB-C accessories to its Made for iPhone (MFi) program that certifies products that meet quality standards. In February, a rumor claimed that Apple would throttle charging and data transfer speeds for non-certified USB-C cables, but the EU is nipping that in the bud.

According to Die Zeit, EU Industry Commissioner Thierry Breton wrote a letter to Apple to say that restrictions that involve charging are unacceptable. If Apple imposes such limitations, Breton says that the EU will prevent iPhones from being sold in member countries.

"Devices that do not meet the requirements for the uniform charger are not approved on the EU market," Breton said. The Commission reportedly reminded Apple of this in March, and Anna Cavazzini, a Green politician who chairs the EU Parliament's Internal Market Committee, accused Apple of attempting to circumvent EU regulations.

Before the end of the year, the EU intends to publish a guide to ensure a "uniform interpretation of the legislation." After 2024, electronic devices such as smartphones, tablets, and others must charge via USB-C.

The EU Council finalized approval of the common charger regulation in October 2022.

According to the proposal, devices will be required to have USB-C ports. Having one standardized connector will enable chargers to be used with multiple devices, thereby enhancing convenience for consumers and significantly reducing electronic waste.

It's unclear whether Apple will include a USB-C port with the iPhone 15 models since it doesn't have to comply with the EU regulation until after 2024. Although the deadline for making changes to local laws to comply with regulations is December 28, 2023, member states are not obligated to enforce these laws until December 28, 2024.

The iPhone 16 might not have it either since that will be released in the fall of 2024, according to Apple's product schedule. However, iPhones must include a USB-C port starting with the iPhone 17, which will be released in 2025.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    To be fair to both the EU and Apple, I think Apple wouldn't tempt fate by trying to limit anything in the standard, and the EU is right to make things crystal clear just in case there is any confusion over what is expected.

M68000mariowincocaladaniantwokatmewAlex1NolsCloudTalkinbyronlkillroy
  • Reply 2 of 66
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    The EU might as well just be Apple's new design/engineering team. They're doing a great job at stifling innovation by mandating ports and speeds....let's not stop there! What's next, Apple has to make every new iPhone with a minimum 50MP camera? Or, perhaps they will mandate that all new iPhones must be able to run both Android and iOS? 
    edited May 2023 williamlondonteejay2012jas99appleinsideruseruraharamike1red oakpulseimageskillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 66
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    So people at the EU are writing letters to Apple because of irrational paranoia they read on the internet.

This entire rumor is based on a misunderstanding. Apple need to switch to USB-C in a way that maintains backwards compatibility with old Lightning accessories, so yes compatible MFi cables are still needed.

Besides, everyone knows that there are many different kinds of USB-C cable, even if they all have plugs that look the same. Not all offer maximum data and charging speeds. How can people know what a cable can do? Right now they don’t. The USB consortium failed! So there is obviously still a place for MFi type labelling so that consumers know they are buying a cable that is fully capable with iPhone. That’s not the same thing as limiting capable cables. Capable cables will obviously work. They are just providing a way of identifying capable cables, which is what the USB consortium have failed to do.
    tmayronnspock1234williamlondonteejay2012appleinsideruseruraharadewmeAlex1Nentropys
  • Reply 5 of 66
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    robjn said:
    So people at the EU are writing letters to Apple because of irrational paranoia they read on the internet.

This entire rumor is based on a misunderstanding. Apple need to switch to USB-C in a way that maintains backwards compatibility with old Lightning accessories, so yes compatible MFi cables are still needed.

Besides, everyone knows that there are many different kinds of USB-C cable, even if they all have plugs that look the same. Not all offer maximum data and charging speeds. How can people know what a cable can do? Right now they don’t. The USB consortium failed! So there is obviously still a place for MFi type labelling so that consumers know they are buying a cable that is fully capable with iPhone. That’s not the same thing as limiting capable cables. Capable cables will obviously work. They are just providing a way of identifying capable cables, which is what the USB consortium have failed to do.
    EU is going to clean up that chaotic mess of USB, especially Type C, starting today! /s

Well stated.
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonjas99Alex1Nolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 66
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    I would be surprised if the MFi program even considered charging speeds for wired connections. Of course Apple is going to use USB-PD to negotiate charging.

For MFi, they care a lot more about manufacturing standards (label ensures a minimum level of functionality) and security implications. I kind of suspect the phones are only going to have a USB 2 channel (look at the USB-C charging cable for their laptops), but maybe a limited version of Thunderbolt. After all, they have their own Thunderbolt controller core and their own IOMMU to lock it down. Maybe the phones get a two-lane controller instead of the full four-lane controller the tablets, laptops, and desktops get. Then to use Apple's extensions to the Thunderbolt standard, you have to be MFi-certified. Think like how the watch charger and phone-MagSafe both involve proprietary extensions of Qi.
    ronnspock1234Alex1Nkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 66
    I don't particularly like the idea of forcing it, but in general (at least for the time being), I'm OK with USB-C. Thing is, whichever next iPhone gets it, it doesn't suddenly make all the existing iPhones (or other devices for that matter) compliant. I guess you have to start somewhere, but until or unless all of these devices stop functioning, there will still be a crap ton of non-USB-C devices/chargers for a long time. Conceivably, by the time the majority of devices/chargers in use are USB-C, there will be another, better connector/charger available and we'll have to start the process all over again. Well I guess we'll cross (or burn!) that bridge when we come to it.

BTW, I do realize that a simple connector/cable adapter could extend the lives of older chargers. I suppose the EU regulation does not allow bundling of USB-C adapters for compliance, otherwise iPhones would already be considered compliant, right?  I recall that Apple has (or had) an adapter for lightning to micro-USB. I think to meet some earlier EU regulation? It was available for when there were a number of chargers out there with micro-USB (ugh, yes, micro-USB):
     https://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MD820AM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter
    twokatmewAlex1Nkillroy
  • Reply 8 of 66
    looplessloopless Posts: 329member
    Anyone who has bought USB-C cables on Amazon knows what garbage is out there. Apple is simply trying to prevent a poor user experience when using non certified cables. The foolish EU bureaucrats just don't get it.
    ronnspock1234Dooofusteejay2012jas99uraharadewmeAlex1NentropysIllus1ve
  • Reply 9 of 66
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    Why the heck would Apple do this anyway?  "Buy our phones!  They charge slower than everyone else's!"
    kiltedgreenAlex1N
  • Reply 10 of 66
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Good.

Also, Apple devices clearly have the ability to block data, only accepting power and will ask you if you want the devices connected to be "trusted" if data is to be used as well.

"Apple need to switch to USB-C in a way that maintains backwards compatibility with old Lightning accessories, so yes compatible MFi cables are still needed."

They use can adaptors. The USB-C cable itself is not the issue. 

Alex1Nkillroy
  • Reply 11 of 66
    teejay2012teejay2012 Posts: 369member
    I  understand the USB-C standard and that the charging speeds should not being throttled, as the point was to limit charger e-waste . But the EU wants to define data transfer speeds? Overreach.

iOS_Guy80Alex1Nkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 66
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    macxpress said:
    The EU might as well just be Apple's new design/engineering team. They're doing a great job at stifling innovation by mandating ports and speeds....let's not stop there! What's next, Apple has to make every new iPhone with a minimum 50MP camera? Or, perhaps they will mandate that all new iPhones must be able to run both Android and iOS? 
    Apple is the one that is abusing their control over a connector that’s outdated and terrible for the environment. And Apple is once again trying to regain control over USB with this nonsense because they are afraid they lose revenue over these damn cables. It’s pathetic.  

USB-C is much faster 
    Stop making a bigger deal out of it. 
    edited May 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 66
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Making other companies’ design decisions a consumer right is as bad as making other countries’ social doctrine a human right. There’s a lot of that going about.

Apple should kill the physical port on it’s non-Pro models this year to get ahead of the issue.
    Illus1vewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 66
    mfrydmfryd Posts: 216member
    Laws don't always have their intended effect.

If you read the EU law, it doesn't require that all phones have USB-C charging.  Only phones that charge with a wire.  Phones that charge exclusively via MagSafe, or other wireless charging methods do not need a USB-C connector.

Apple has the option of a software change to make the lightning connector "data only".  If they do that, all current iPhone models would meet the current spec, without any hardware changes whatsoever.

It turns out that the EU law, doesn't require USB-C, it merely prohibits other wired charging methods.  Apple has the option of choosing to meet the rules by reducing functionality via software for iPhones sold in the EU. 
    JFC_PAbeowulfschmidtIllus1vekillroy
  • Reply 15 of 66
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    mfryd said:
    Laws don't always have their intended effect.

If you read the EU law, it doesn't require that all phones have USB-C charging.  Only phones that charge with a wire.  Phones that charge exclusively via MagSafe, or other wireless charging methods do not need a USB-C connector.

Apple has the option of a software change to make the lightning connector "data only".  If they do that, all current iPhone models would meet the current spec, without any hardware changes whatsoever.

It turns out that the EU law, doesn't require USB-C, it merely prohibits other wired charging methods.  Apple has the option of choosing to meet the rules by reducing functionality via software for iPhones sold in the EU. 
    My only regret if they went that route is the added inefficiency making my battery packs 50% less useful due to the wireless transfer loss. I could live with it, but I’d dislike the added weight for when I’m wandering far from any outlets. 

Otherwise a data only port is FAR better than portless from a maintenance, backup etc. point of view. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 16 of 66
    macxpress said:
    Apple is the one that is abusing their control over a connector that’s outdated and terrible for the environment. And Apple is once again trying to regain control over USB with this nonsense because they are afraid they lose revenue over these damn cables. It’s pathetic.  

USB-C is much faster 
    Stop making a bigger deal out of it. 
    a) USB-C is still very much a confusing mess of standards. Lightning is not. USB-C is also quantifiably more prone to breakage and wear. More waste.  
    b) Not every device needs or can use “faster”, forcing inappropriate conformity drives up costs and wastes materials.
    c) Cables wear, no matter what, so the obsession with “the charger” is odd. All my chargers still work, some going back to the  ‘80s. Yet I see no proposals for reusing these. I see no requirement to produce a low cost adapter for Lightning to USB-C. Chargers and cables that were all interoperable and replaceable via USB-A were given a huge nudge forward by Apple. Before that, there were endless changes to USB and proprietary connectors in the computing space. Where was the concern then?
    d) If efficiency, standardization, and waste management were the real concerns, why not authorize one provider of phone equipment? Ban all e-trash Android phones. You get one phone, period. That’s efficient.

PS - Next time you say something as dumb as “terrible for the environment” you’d better have a study or two that proves that. The fact is that ALL cables, chargers, and electronics are harmful to the environment. It’s mostly a matter of degree, given production techniques and materials science. Changing ports will do squat to make a difference at this stage of climate change, particularly looking at the lag time for effects.

If you’re genuinely concerned about your impact on the environment you wouldn’t be buying the latest and greatest. Heck, you wouldn’t be living the lifestyle you and most Europeans are living. So please, stop fracking whining about the environment when it comes to charging cables. 
    mike1Alex1NbeowulfschmidtIllus1vemacxpresswilliamlondonkillroy
  • Reply 17 of 66
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    I  understand the USB-C standard and that the charging speeds should not being throttled, as the point was to limit charger e-waste . But the EU wants to define data transfer speeds? Overreach.

I don’t get it. What does it mean to “not throttle charging” speeds?

Waiting to see this document that will clarify it all. A phone OEM can choose to only support 5W charging. You plug in the cable, it will charge a 10 WHr battery in about 3 hours. Another phone OEM can choose to support up to 50W. Nice feature. Will charge a 10 WHr battery in 20 minutes. What criteria determines the charging rate?

Is the EU going to mandate maximum charging draws or rates? Minimum charging times? It’s going to be dependent on battery size? What about my toothbrush, shaver and hair trimmer? They are going to specify charging rates for that? What about my PowerBeats Pros?

Just seems inevitable that will have to mandate minimum charging power, a really lowball number, like 5 W. The alternative is nuts and the industry should sue them.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 66
    Those un-elected, jobs for the old boys network, European twats in Brussel could do a lot better by making the QI standard universal.
    mike1
  • Reply 19 of 66
    mfrydmfryd Posts: 216member
    tht said:

I don’t get it. What does it mean to “not throttle charging” speeds?

The fear is that Apple will do something outside the USB-C standard.  Third party standard USB-C chargers/cables may not be allowed to charge as fast as Apple approved "Mi-Fi" cables.

Yes, one must be careful in how the rules are worded in order to address this issue.  It is also unclear as to whether it is reasonable for Apple to require extra certification for higher power charging.  Can Apple use a charging scheme that is a superset of USB-C, yet still compatible with it?
    Alex1N
  • Reply 20 of 66
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 615member
    None of this matters as everyone is moving to wireless charging. Apple will drop all ports within a few years. 
    Alex1N