Full-featured Final Cut Pro & Logic Pro coming to iPad in May

Posted:
in iPad edited May 2023
Apple is bringing its Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro apps to the iPad as subscriptions for artists and musicians with multi-touch gestures and machine learning features.

iPad gets Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro
iPad gets Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro

Starting from Tuesday, May 23, Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro subscriptions for iPad will be accessible on the App Store. It will cost $4.99 monthly or $49 per year with a one-month free trial.

The introduction of Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro for iPad provides video creators and music makers with a comprehensive range of tools that enable them to record, edit, finalize, and share their creations. Meanwhile, Logic Pro for iPad gives creators access to various advanced tools for songwriting, beat making, recording, editing, and mixing.

Final Cut Pro is compatible with M1 chip iPad models or later, and Logic Pro will be available on A12 Bionic chip iPad models or later. Final Cut Pro for iPad and Logic Pro for iPad require iPadOS 16.4.

Final Cut Pro for iPad

Apple says that the latest version of Final Cut Pro designed for iPad incorporates a brand-new touch interface and tools that let video creators access new workflows. A new jog wheel is available that simplifies the editing process and enables users to interact with their content in novel ways.

By using Multi-Touch gestures, creators can navigate the Magnetic Timeline, manipulate clips, and make quick frame-accurate edits with the touch of a finger. A new Live Drawing feature allows users to draw and write directly on top of video content using Apple Pencil.

With the Reference Mode, creators can view and edit HDR video precisely, leveraging the remarkable Liquid Retina XDR display of the 12.9-inch iPad Pro to apply accurate color grades.

By using the latest iPad Pro, creators can record footage in top-quality formats such as ProRes, resulting in exceptional real-time performance for tasks such as editing multiple streams at once.

Apple has also added features to the app that use machine learning. For example, creators can use the Scene Removal Mask feature to instantly eliminate or swap out the background behind a subject in a clip without needing a green screen.

Auto Crop adjusts footage to different aspect ratios, such as vertical or square, while Voice Isolation makes removing background noise from field-recorded audio easy.

Video editors have the option to import supported media from either the Files or Photos app, and store it directly inside a Final Cut Pro project. Additionally, Final Cut Pro for iPad allows for the import of projects created in iMovie for iOS, and iPad users can export their Final Cut Pro projects to Mac.

Content from third-party developers will also arrive to Final Cut Pro to enhance projects.

Logic Pro for iPad

Logic Pro for iPad also includes multi-touch gestures to take advantage of the device's touchscreen. Music creators can use gestures to play software instruments and interact intuitively with controls.

They can also navigate intricate projects using pinch-to-zoom and swipe-to-scroll movements. Creators can also make precise edits and create complex track automation using Apple Pencil.

Music creators can use the brand-new sound browser, which employs dynamic filtering to aid in discovering the superior sound at the moment of inspiration. The sound browser provides a centralized location for all instrument patches, audio patches, plug-in presets, samples, and loops that are available.

Users can preview any sound by tapping it before incorporating it into a project, streamlining the process and maintaining creative momentum.

Logic Pro for iPad can simplify the process of transferring projects between Logic Pro for Mac and iPad. Finished songs can be exported in a range of compressed and lossless audio formats, as well as individual audio track stems, by iPad users.

Music creators can also create a soundtrack in Logic Pro for iPad and export it into Final Cut Pro for iPad. Additionally, Logic Pro for iPad supports the capability to open projects created in GarageBand for iOS, giving users professional features and workflows.

Musicians can incorporate third-party instruments and effects that are compatible with Logic Pro, directly within their projects. They can download apps from leading developers like Eventide, FabFilter, and Moog Music on the App Store.

"We're excited to introduce Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro for iPad, allowing creators to unleash their creativity in new ways and in even more places," said Bob Borchers, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With a powerful set of intuitive tools designed for the portability, performance, and touch-first interface of iPad, Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro deliver the ultimate mobile studio."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    I freakin’ called it in the article saying it was coming out in ‘24!  I said that DaVinci Resolve on the iPad was the shot across the bow and we’d see FCP and Logic Pro sooner rather than later.  Now what excuse will the YouTubers have now to try to say the iPad isn’t a “Pro” or “Real” device?
    radarthekatwilliamlondonCluntBaby92sphericlolliver
  • Reply 2 of 33
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I’ll soon be shopping to replace my 6th gen iPad mini with a more capable M-series model. 
    gregoriusmlolliver
  • Reply 3 of 33
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    Well this is a surprise. Looking forward to checking out Logic Pro on my Air 5.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Just when I gave my 12.9 M1 Pro to my significant other… “This glorified toy is too big and heavy, I’ll just stick to my laptop and Logic and use my Mini for tablety stuff”. What am I supposed to do now?
  • Reply 5 of 33
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    Apple trolling Google. Bad Apple.

Google I/O starts tomorrow. Besides the Pixel Fold the other new hardware announcement will be the new Pixel Tablet, years after leaving the tablet market.

Google has been hyping Android tablets recently and making a push for more tablet optimized Apps (including their own). No doubt that was going to be a big part of their Pixel tablet announcement tomorrow.

And Apple just happens to pick the day before to
    announce FCP and Logic, shining a glaring spotlight on how far ahead pro-level Apps are on the iPad compared to Android.

Well played, Apple.
    williamlondonjellybellyCluntBaby92sphericlolliver
  • Reply 6 of 33
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 100member
    What would be THE killer app for live musicians is MainStage for iOS. Please make it so, Apple! 
    MisterKitwilliamlondonCluntBaby92spheric
  • Reply 7 of 33
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    Wasn’t it just a week ago that AI dubbed this rumor “unlikely”? Oopsies!
    appleinsideruserCluntBaby929secondkox2lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 33
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    Subscription from Apple for an app?
    No thanks. F*cking subscriptions everywhere for an app I sometimes use everyday, sometimes not for months.

If this happens with FCPX for macOS as well I’m off to Resolve. A shame because FCP is an excellent NLE (just very behind competitors in features) 
    georgie01williamlondonappleinsideruserCluntBaby92argonautilarynx9secondkox2spheric
  • Reply 9 of 33
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    That is amazing news that I’d never support. An app subscription from Apple?!

I’ve always felt that subscription-only apps are cheap manipulation, but I did sort of understand it from desperate developers who are wanting to stay in business for longer.

When a company like Apple does this that’s basically the beginning of the end of personal ownership in computing. And this won’t stop with software.
    williamlondonappleinsideruserCluntBaby92argonaut
  • Reply 10 of 33
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 100member
    No thanks. F*cking subscriptions everywhere for an app I sometimes use everyday, sometimes not for months.

If this happens with FCPX for macOS as well I’m off to Resolve. A shame because FCP is an excellent NLE (just very behind competitors in features) 
    There’s always one. Today it’s you, I guess.

I use Logic and FCPX every day. 49$ a year is less than I pay for 1 halfway decent third party plug-in. For pros / semipros, the software pays for itself. 
    gregoriusmMisterKitKierkegaardenblastdoorsennenmattinozdewmebloggerbloglolliver
  • Reply 11 of 33
    csimmons said:

I use Logic and FCPX every day. 49$ a year is less than I pay for 1 halfway decent third party plug-in. For pros / semipros, the software pays for itself. 
    Exactly!  $5/month or $49 a year is a lot cheaper than the $300 one time purchase
    blastdoorCluntBaby92dewmewilliamlondonlolliver
  • Reply 12 of 33
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,320member
    csimmons said:

Seems very inexpensive for someone who uses it regularly.
    lolliver
  • Reply 13 of 33
    I freakin’ called it in the article saying it was coming out in ‘24!  I said that DaVinci Resolve on the iPad was the shot across the bow and we’d see FCP and Logic Pro sooner rather than later.  Now what excuse will the YouTubers have now to try to say the iPad isn’t a “Pro” or “Real” device?
    DaVinci resolve hasn't been on the iPad for a long time, so my guess is that it had little to no impact on the decision to bring FCP and Logic to the iPad. Getting the UI redone for touch and porting ultimately takes some time and planning. 

As for YouTubers and anyone else that said the iPad wasn't pro, who cares. People that were saying these two Apps had to be on the iPad for it to be a pro device are dim bulbs and will likely move the goalpost to some other reason for it not being a pro device.
    dewmesphericlolliver
  • Reply 14 of 33
    csimmons said:
    What would be THE killer app for live musicians is MainStage for iOS. Please make it so, Apple! 
    Yeah, that would be pretty great. 
  • Reply 15 of 33
    shoeweeshoewee Posts: 3member
    Honestly fingers crossed there will be a full pay version for Education and Business customers who purchase through Apple School Manager.  I'll be extremely disappointed if there isn't an option.  It doesn't seem like Apple would cut out the EDU and Business community for these two Apps.  At least I hope not, as we are unable to do in app purchases still.
    CluntBaby92williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 33
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    Most will jump on board with glee, my limit was four in the end you will own nothing it seems, like those new luxury apartments they’re building all over the country.

By the end of the year, the only reoccurring subscription, I will have will be PBS, I have a total of four (PBS, Netflix, Apple TV and Brit Box) right now, I’m done with these things aside from PBS.

I just don’t see how most people will have 10 or more of these nickel and dime, reoccurring subscriptions every month? On top of everything else?
    ilarynxwilliamlondonsphericTinCook
  • Reply 17 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator

This is the only way it could be done on iOS. If it was priced at $299 up-front like on the Mac App Store, almost nobody would buy it. Loads of people are willing to pay $4.99/month on mobile apps.

Also, part of the reason paid up-front software falls behind is because it eventually runs out of buyers. No recurring revenue means investing in it becomes an ever-growing loss.

FCP X would be fine as a $5/month subscription on Mac too or free with in-app purchase for higher-end features.
    gregoriusmdewmeMacProbloggerblogargonautwilliamlondonlolliverTinCook
  • Reply 18 of 33
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Dooofus said:
    The Logic Pro screen looks like it's mostly a rebranded Garage Band with a few extra features. There has always been some overlap and likely even shared code (Smart Drummer, etc.) over the years. The 2021 MacBook Pro in maxed out configuration makes it possible to effectively record at 96/24 with less than 5 milliseconds of latency. It prompted a lot of people to sell off their UA hardware. You can also put stacks of plugins on dozens of tracks without slowing things down. I seriously doubt this would be remotely possible on an iPad unless it is similarly provisioned (64 GB RAM, M? Max or Ultra, etc).
    Speaking of which, I wonder what the future of iMovie and GarageBand will be, now that FCP and LP are available on iPad.  
    CluntBaby92
  • Reply 19 of 33

FYI: it wasn't that long ago that purchasing Logic Pro for Mac = $1000. 
    CluntBaby92Fidonet127MisterKitsennenbloggerblogargonautwilliamlondonlolliver
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 507member
    It is humorous that people are wishing Apple develop these apps, keep them updated and add new features and yet complain about a subscription. Apple hasn’t made the Mac apps a subscription and you are not required to use the app on the iPad. The Mac apps didn’t stop working. It amazes me that people complain about subscription or other pro software costs, yet the iPads this runs on are over a thousand dollars. You are going to want to max those iPads out just for storage.

starting out or need a pro level app for a short bit? Buy a month or so, or even a year. Much lower start up costs than $199 or $299 the main app costs. Personally, add a subscription option to the desktop apps so you don’t have to pay full price. 
    sennenwilliamlondon