Fourth macOS Ventura 13.4 beta plagued by networking issues

Posted:
in macOS edited May 2023
Developers trying out the fourth beta of macOS Ventura 13.4 are discovering issues with networking, a problem that may prompt beta testers to avoid updating their installation.

macOS Ventura
macOS Ventura

Apple issued to beta testers the fourth developer beta of macOS Ventura 13.4 on Tuesday, with testers intended to shake down the Mac operating system before an eventual release to the public.

However, reports from developers on Twitter indicate there may be a problem with the update. Tweets from developers including @Aaronp613 and @iSoftwareUpdates indicate multiple people have updated and found that they have networking issues.

Early-stage reports from users indicate it could be a Wi-Fi-specific issue, with the network connection dropping periodically for some participants.

One working theory is that the updates may be affecting content filters. @Aaronp613 offers that users may need to disable apps like Little Snitch or Radio Silence to get their networking operational once more.

It remains to be seen if Apple will allow the issue to persist in the current beta. Monday's downloads are not the release candidates.

As both AppleInsider and Apple itself both warn, users should not install betas onto mission-critical or important systems, and to only do so on secondary or non-essential computers. While the warning is typically associated with the potential loss of data, it can also apply to much-needed features of the operating system not working, like networking infrastructure.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 507member
    a) hope the solve it. b) I updated and not noticed any problems. c) no links to the actual developers having problems.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I’m having the networking issue.  The WiFi  network appears to be connected but safari, Apple ID and email say there is no network connection.  I am downloading email headers (so it is connected in some way), but any attempt to open the email shows no connection.  Any suggestions?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    DJRDJR Posts: 1member
    I had to disable/delete all of the Cisco AnyConnect VPN stuff on my computer. Until I did, I had no Internet/email access, etc.

Now, all that stuff works but I can't use AnyConnect to connect to my work computer. The connection (wired or wireless) keeps dropping, making all the networking quit.

My workaround is to open Windows in Parallels and use the Windows version of the AnyConnect software to connect to work. Crazy that I can get in via Windows on Parallels on my MacBook, but not the new Ventura Beta on my Macbook.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 4 of 14
    yahnneryahnner Posts: 1member
    I uninstalled express VPN and that took care of the problem, my internet was dropping regularly 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I was able to manually fix the issue.  I went  into WiFi settings and saw a microsoft “filter”.  I deleted it and now wifi functionality was fine again. Hope this helps
    Alex1N
  • Reply 6 of 14
    bjwbjw Posts: 1member
    It's a iCloud Private Relay issue.   Just turn it off until tomorrow. 

Alex1N
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Thanks to all the folks who beta test OS releases and application software.  Too old for that stuff now, but did some site level/corporate integration testing and test environment builds in my younger days.  Last work along those lines was about 7 years ago.  Wrote up requests for program analysis with detailed descriptions of problems...  

Always been amazed at what is not detected in beta testing, but shows up early in production.  Not to mention the patched problems that recur after some other bug is fixed.  Part of the problem is the high complexity of software.  Mildly concerned AI will lead to a real world version of Westworld (1973).  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUWNBcBKkA  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clPPxk3ZV2w
    edited May 2023 Alex1N
  • Reply 8 of 14
    MigdalOzMigdalOz Posts: 1member
    Mac users who are having issues with network connectivity after installing ‌macOS Ventura‌ 13.4 beta 4 are advised to disable their network filtering apps. If you don't wish to disable these apps, avoid installing the latest beta for now.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 14
    rawheadrawhead Posts: 90member
    Yup; had an issue where Wifi or Internet (can't tell which) drops every 5 seconds or so. Back to normal after Disabling LuLu.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I was able to manually fix the issue.  I went  into WiFi settings and saw a microsoft “filter”.  I deleted it and now wifi functionality was fine again. Hope this helps
    Fixed my problem on Ventura 13.4 beta 4 by disabling all filters under System Settings > Network > VPN & Filters. The filter I had enabled was from TripMode.

P.S., disabling Private Relay has no effect on this issue.
    rawhead
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Am having this issue, no fix using any of the above so far. Even with Wi-Fi off and using a LAN direct connection.
    edited May 2023
  • Reply 12 of 14
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Turn any filters in System Settings->network settings->Filters OFF, and that should work for the time being. Turning LS monitoring off alone isn't enough.

alexP
  • Reply 13 of 14
    alexPalexP Posts: 1member
    xgman said:
    Turn any filters in System Settings->network settings->Filters OFF, and that should work for the time being. Turning LS monitoring off alone isn't enough.

This helped me (i tried 2 ISPs, both via Wi-Fi, and network worked badly with all of them). Unfortunately, until a new beta arrives, this MacBook (MBA 2020) is not useful for work as it requires Cisco AnyConnect. Now it's its turn to be a host for Zwift/Rouvy until the issue is fixed  :)