Apple Watch Pride Edition 2023 Sport Band features unique geometric patterns

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2023
Apple has introduced its Apple Watch Pride Edition Sport Band, an equality-celebrating band accompanied by a watch face and wallpaper for iOS.

Apple Watch Pride Edition 2023
Apple Watch Pride Edition 2023

Previously surfacing as part of a back-end leak, the 2023 Apple Watch Pride Edition Apple Watch Sport Band has now been formally launched by Apple.

As part of a continued celebration of the ongoing movement to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities, the new Sport Band design combines the original pride flag rainbow colors and five others. The additions symbolize Black and Latin communities, those who passed away from or are living with HIV/AIDS, and to represent transgender and nonbinary individuals.

Apple says the 2023 design is a "joyful rainbow of geometric shapes on a white base, which are compression-molded into the final band." However, since the base material flows around each shape, there are variations in layout, so no two bands are exactly alike.

It is claimed this reflects "the individuality of all members of the LGBTQ+ community."

The Pride Edition Sport Band will be available from the online Apple Store from May 23 for $49, and in stores May 24. It will be available in 41mm and 45mm sizes, and is compatible with the Apple Watch Series 3 and later models.

Along with the band, a new Pride Celebration watch face and iOS wallpaper will be available to use. The watch face will show colorful shapes that respond when the user raises or moves the wrist, while the iPhone wallpaper will dynamically move as the user unlocks their device.

The watch face and iPhone wallpaper will be released next week, and require watchOS 9.5 and iOS 16.5. The watch face will be downloadable from Apple.com, the Apple Store app, in Apple Store locations, and through App Clips on the packaging.

The release is a continuation of a program Apple has operated since 2016, with new bands released each year with a different design.

Apple is also outspoken about its support for LGBTQ+ and equality, and its work with advocacy organizations. These include the Equality Federation Institute, GLSEN, Encircle, Equality North Carolina, Equality Texas, Gender Spectrum, Human Rights Campaign, ILGA World, the National Center for Transgender Equality, PFLAG, SMYAL, and The Trevor Project.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I like that it could be the Ice Cream Jimmies edition. It's a great looking band.
    ronnwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 20
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    macgui said:
    I like that it could be the Ice Cream Jimmies edition. It's a great looking band.
    Jimmies was my first thought as well!  :D

The band is too plain for my tastes. I'll download the watch face(s) though.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JP234 said:
    I think it's wonderful that LGBTQ+ people are now able to legally live their real lives. When I was born in 1951, what we now call alternate lifestyles were mostly against the law. Here in Chicago the police regularly raided gay bars and beat the crap out of people before arresting them and putting them in lockup for the sin of not hiding in a closet. Even Texas (TEXAS!) is "considering" the repeal of their "Sodomy Law" enacted in 1973, which was voided as unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in 2003. But at the same time, the forces of bigotry and intolerance are gaining traction in every red state, especially Florida. And Texas.

So get one. Wear it with pride. Just maybe not everywhere. Lot of homophobes with guns out there.
    I’m sure they are all elated to have your support. Never one to let an opportunity to virtue signal pass you by, eh? Do real world people ever tell you that you say cringey things? Asking for a friend. 

It is a nice band, though. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 20
    And the LGBT propaganda is still going strong hahahahha

The band is nice! Would be good as a birthday gift, With the sprinkles.
    williamlondonurahara
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:
    I think it's wonderful that LGBTQ+ people are now able to legally live their real lives. When I was born in 1951, what we now call alternate lifestyles were mostly against the law. Here in Chicago the police regularly raided gay bars and beat the crap out of people before arresting them and putting them in lockup for the sin of not hiding in a closet. Even Texas (TEXAS!) is "considering" the repeal of their "Sodomy Law" enacted in 1973, which was voided as unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in 2003. But at the same time, the forces of bigotry and intolerance are gaining traction in every red state, especially Florida. And Texas.

So get one. Wear it with pride. Just maybe not everywhere. Lot of homophobes with guns out there.
    I’m sure they are all elated to have your support. Never one to let an opportunity to virtue signal pass you by, eh? Do real world people ever tell you that you say cringey things? Asking for a friend. 

I'm queer and happy to have their support. 

That said, the advice to not wear it everywhere is cringy and completely misses the point of Pride. I'm not catering to homophobes.
    edited May 2023 JP234Oferapplebynature
  • Reply 6 of 20
    And the LGBT propaganda is still going strong hahahahha

The band is nice! Would be good as a birthday gift, With the sprinkles.
    And apparently bigotry is as well. 
    ronnOfermacxpressapplebynatureJP234
  • Reply 7 of 20
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:

That was needlessly hostile. 
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 20
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Reminds me of ice cream sprinkles...not really a fan of the band. I do like the wallpaper though and the really cool lock/unlock effect it has. 
    ronn
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Ofer said:
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:

That was needlessly hostile. 
    What can I say? Know-it-all people that routinely tell everyone else what to think and how to live…then mock anyone different than them…then preach about tolerance… they just happen to bring out the best in me. 

sns
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:

That said, the advice to not wear it everywhere is cringy and completely misses the point of Pride. I'm not catering to homophobes.
    I admire your courage! But that doesn't change the fact that there are people out there who want to harm you, so be safe! <3
    Again, read the room. You’re being told, in the kindest possible way, that what you’re saying is cringe, and your response is to double down on that cringe. 
    You should follow you own advice on this one. You initial comment very much comes off as bigoted towards the LGBTQ+ community. You have also opted to attack someone for expressing support for the community while seemingly defending a blatantly homophobic post. 

JP234 is clearly an ally to the community. Sometimes allies to marginalized groups make mistakes. They are well meaning mistakes but mistakes none the less. I'll take am ally that makes mistakes over someone that means me harm any day.

• Reply 11 of 20
    Apple has introduced its Apple Watch Pride Edition Sport Band, an equality-celebrating band accompanied by a watch face and wallpaper for iOS.
    I can’t find the band listed on apple.com or the Apple Store app. When is it going to be released?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    I can’t find the band listed on apple.com or the Apple Store app. When is it going to be released?
    "The Pride Edition Sport Band will be available from the online Apple Store from May 23 for $49, and in stores May 24."

• Reply 13 of 20
    ronn said:
    "The Pride Edition Sport Band will be available from the online Apple Store from May 23 for $49, and in stores May 24."
    Ha ha, thanks! I read the article a couple times and missed it. I saw the dates for the watch face and Lock Screen photo and was perplexed why there wasn’t a date for the band.
    ronn
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:

I admire your courage! But that doesn't change the fact that there are people out there who want to harm you, so be safe! <3
    Again, read the room. You’re being told, in the kindest possible way, that what you’re saying is cringe, and your response is to double down on that cringe. 
    You should follow you own advice on this one. You initial comment very much comes off as bigoted towards the LGBTQ+ community. You have also opted to attack someone for expressing support for the community while seemingly defending a blatantly homophobic post. 

JP234 is clearly an ally to the community. Sometimes allies to marginalized groups make mistakes. They are well meaning mistakes but mistakes none the less. I'll take am ally that makes mistakes over someone that means me harm any day.

I’m sorry.
    My initial comment was not intended to do anything of the sort. Any detected bias is directed toward hypocritical posters who routinely contradict themselves, bully those with different opinions, and answer all legitimate questions with personal insults…and only them. Rest easy kind stranger, this is not about you at all, and I apologize if you took it that way. 

fwiw…well meaning mistakes are usually learned from. Not repeated. 

ps: isn’t the person you are now defending the same one who said “Happy to set you straight, little lady” a few days ago?
    edited May 2023 sphericihatescreennames
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:

I’m sorry.
    My initial comment was not intended to do anything of the sort. Any detected bias is directed toward hypocritical posters who routinely contradict themselves, bully those with different opinions, and answer all legitimate questions with personal insults…and only them. Rest easy kind stranger, this is not about you at all, and I apologize if you took it that way. 

ps: isn’t the person you are now defending the same one who said “Happy to set you straight, little lady” a few days ago?
    It was a few weeks ago but yes J234 certainly has a bit of an issue with sexism. Here is the thing, a person can do well in some areas and not in others. We correct them when they make mistakes and applaud them when they don’t. Categorically writing them off is the surest way to ensure they never change. And when it comes to various types of prejudice we collectively do better when people change for the better. Perhaps you disagree with that approach, that’s fair, people can have a reasonable disagreement on that type of thing. 

As for the rest of your response what is up with this; “I apologize if you took it that way.”

Why do you think you can apologize for what I did? It’s a non-apology, you aren’t taking responsibility for your own behavior. It’s the second time you have attempted to remove my agency. If I’m to use your standard I have to assume this isn’t a well meaning mistake as it has been repeated. 
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:

I’m sorry.

As for the rest of your response what is up with this; “I apologize if you took it that way.”

Why do you think you can apologize for what I did? It’s a non-apology, you aren’t taking responsibility for your own behavior. It’s the second time you have attempted to remove my agency. If I’m to use your standard I have to assume this isn’t a well meaning mistake as it has been repeated. 
    “I apologize if I may have made anybody feel that way.”

Is that acceptable? 
    edited May 2023 ihatescreennames
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:

I’m sorry.

Here is the thing, a person can do well in some areas and not in others. We correct them when they make mistakes and applaud them when they don’t. Categorically writing them off is the surest way to ensure they never change.
    Well said!!! This is something that we all should remember always.
    JP234
  • Reply 18 of 20
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    In today’s world it seems that you’ll get called names if you just say that you are tired to hear about LGBTQ+++++++ agenda. 
    Do you feel that this statement is the evidence of bigotry? 
    Well, that’s then a problem with today’s world, if there are many such people. And it seems so…. Because a person can get just tired of even good things, if it is too much.
    Japhey
  • Reply 19 of 20
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    The band is beautiful. I wish it would stand for something grander, deeper meaning of the diversity, than just sexual preference.

It is claimed this reflects "the individuality of all members of the LGBTQ+ community." ” I wish we could celebrate the individuality of all people in the world. Not just of a smaller group of people wha identify theme selves with LGBTQ+++++.
    edited May 2023