Dell's new monitor boasts 6K resolution & IPS Black display technology

Posted:
in General Discussion
Dell's 32-inch monitor with a 6K resolution will be available for purchase, shortly, and is priced at about half what an Pro Display XDR costs.

Dell's new monitor as 6K resolution
Dell's new monitor as 6K resolution

The company announced the monitor at CES 2023, and it's now going on sale starting May 10. Dell claims it's the world's first 6K monitor with IPS Black and a Zoom-certified collaboration keyboard.

The monitor includes a range of features, such as a built-in 4K HDR webcam, dual 14W speakers, echo cancellation mics, and a variety of USB-C and USB-A ports. Additionally, it has a Thunderbolt 4 connector capable of providing up to 140W of power to a connected laptop.

{"@context":"https://schema.org/","@type":"VideoObject","name":"Dell UltraSharp 32 6K Monitor - U3224KB","description":"Be ultra-productive on the world's first 6K monitor with IPS Black panel technology* featuring exceptional color and detail, future-ready connectivity and built-in collaboration features.","thumbnailUrl":"https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PtbL4CNTdfM/sddefault.jpg","uploadDate":"2022-12-13T03:24:23Z","duration":"PT1M6S","embedUrl":""}

The Dell UltraSharp Monitor is designed to work seamlessly with both Windows and Mac operating systems. It has sharp and accurate colors and exceptional detail, all in 6K resolution. It also includes VESA DisplayHDR 600, making it a good choice for professionals.

By incorporating IPS Black technology, Dell's monitor delivers better depth for darker objects, even in low light conditions, and presents precise colors from almost any viewing angle. According to Dell's recent Hot Tech study, monitors equipped with IPS Black technology have up to 41% improved black levels and up to 1.2 times better color accuracy than standard IPS technology, mainly when showing soft grays.

For those seeking high-quality video conferencing capabilities, particularly in dimly-lit environments, the UltraSharp 32 6K Monitor is an excellent choice. It has a built-in dual gain HDR 4K webcam, enabling auto framing, light adjustments, and improved clarity.

It has a Thunderbolt 4 connector capable of providing up to 140W of power to a connected laptop
It has a Thunderbolt 4 connector capable of providing up to 140W of power to a connected laptop

Users can record and view high-quality video content in either 4K at 30 frames per second or FHD at either 30 or 60 frames per second. The camera angle is adjustable and can be tilted between 0 and 20 degrees, while the field of view can be customized to show 65, 78, or 90 degrees of the surroundings.

Dell UltraSharp 6K model U3224KB -- Pricing & Availability

The Dell UltraSharp 6K 32-inch monitor (U3224KB) is available for $3,199.99.

AppleInsider will be reviewing the monitor as soon as we can.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    coolerkidcoolerkid Posts: 18member
    Ugh, what's up with giant web camera?! Who's buying a display this quality for Zoom calls?! They should have had a smaller or even no webcam, tiny bezels, no front buttons, and a glossy screen option if they want to capture the high end market and compete with Apple's displays. Hard pass on this.
    williamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ciacia Posts: 252member
    I would love a stripped down version of this monitor.  No USB hub, no camera, no speakers, just a great display, full stop.  Anyone using a 6K display probably already has a thunderbolt hub so really they don't even need to add thunderbolt and charging, just give me a DisplayPort or HDMI hookup.  If you want to add one feature, maybe make it so you can hook up two machines and run the display in side by side mode or just a quick source flip button.  Beyond that I just want a basic display for a less. $$.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Not really "half" the price of Pro Display XDR at $3199 versus $4999. The Dell doesn't offer a nano-texture option so $4999 is the price to compare with. At a glance, brightness and contrast ratio for the Dell are significantly lower...450 nits versus 1000-1600 nits, 2,000:1 versus 1,000,000:1. 
    dewmewilliamlondondanoxFileMakerFellerapplebynature
  • Reply 4 of 16
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,320member
    coolerkid said:
    Ugh, what's up with giant web camera?! Who's buying a display this quality for Zoom calls?! They should have had a smaller or even no webcam, tiny bezels, no front buttons, and a glossy screen option if they want to capture the high end market and compete with Apple's displays. Hard pass on this.
    It looks better than having an iPhone attached to the top of an Apple display.
    mike1williamlondonchasmgrandact73
  • Reply 5 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Why did they have to make it so butt ugly? I'm impressed with the functionality, the built-in KVM, PIP, adjustable stand, and I'm sure the display panel looks great. Dell seems to source pretty good panels. But its overall dorky appearance makes it hard on the eyes and off-putting. Does the $1800 savings over an XDR display change my opinion? Um, not really, it's still ugly even with the cost savings. It would still take me a while to get used to seeing this creepy looking thing on my desk.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 16
    coolerkid said:
    It looks like these are aimed at corporate settings. Large companies that can by these by the hundreds that want them to be easy to set up and have simple functionality for video calls. 
  • Reply 7 of 16
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    cia said:
    I would love a stripped down version of this monitor.  No USB hub, no camera, no speakers, just a great display, full stop.  Anyone using a 6K display probably already has a thunderbolt hub so really they don't even need to add thunderbolt and charging, just give me a DisplayPort or HDMI hookup.  If you want to add one feature, maybe make it so you can hook up two machines and run the display in side by side mode or just a quick source flip button.  Beyond that I just want a basic display for a less. $$.
    Yeah, half. You need to include the $1,000 stand for Apple’s display to be fair. And likely this will be discounted.

the one thing I’m going to have to look up is the highest brightness this is rated for, as Apple’s is 1600 bits. If this is around that number, that’s good. Then, what about zones?All prejudice aside, and while I’ve never bought a Dell display for myself, they do make some pretty good ones. With Apple not coming out with an improved version of theirs, they’re letting competitors sneak in.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 16
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,852member
    melgross said:
    cia said:
    Yeah, half. You need to include the $1,000 stand for Apple’s display to be fair. And likely this will be discounted.

the one thing I’m going to have to look up is the highest brightness this is rated for, as Apple’s is 1600 bits. If this is around that number, that’s good. Then, what about zones?All prejudice aside, and while I’ve never bought a Dell display for myself, they do make some pretty good ones. With Apple not coming out with an improved version of theirs, they’re letting competitors sneak in.

The upcoming side-by-side reviews will be fun. I have a feeling that it will be another one of those you get what you pay for, there is no free ride.
    applebynature
  • Reply 9 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    No word on the max brightness of the display? Or how well the brightness spreads across the display? 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 16
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    danox said:
    melgross said:
    cia said:

The upcoming side-by-side reviews will be fun. I have a feeling that it will be another one of those you get what you pay for, there is no free ride.
    It could be that. But technology moves on, as you know. What was state of the art several years ago, may be lagging now. Apple has shown a propensity of coming out with a great product, and then sitting on its hands for years, allowing their competitors to fill in the cracks, and even push them aside. It’s hard to understand.

along with allowing their display to just sit there, what happened to the rumored 27” with newer tech? That’s what we need. Look at their last two Mac Pros. Both left to rot. The “trash can” model could have been upgraded. Apple says it was thermals. Ok, but every year, they could have moved to the latest version of the same chip, which would have used the same power (I checked), and every two years, better graphics. But they just left it to sit for 6 years. What about the 2019 Mac Pro? That was heralded as being massively upgradable Where are the upgrades? One newer graphic card upgrade, that’s all. This monitor (and the 2019 mp) is now 4 years old. Really, when buying back $90 billion in stock, and borrowing $5.5 billion to help that, there’s no money to invest in upgrades? That’s hard to believe.

I think the bean counters have arrived, and I don’t like it.
    edited May 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 16
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Specs make it a great competitor. 

Design makes it not even a consideration, regardless of price. The thing is an embarrassment. 

• Reply 12 of 16
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    coolerkid said:
    It looks better than having an iPhone attached to the top of an Apple display.
    Actually, no… it really doesn’t. It’s that bad. 

Beyond the hideous webcam, the bezels are atrocious. And the 90s wants its stand back. Nasty. 
    edited May 2023
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Apple has got to be thrilled with that $3200 price. Whenever the new Mac Pro is ready, there will be a new Pro Display along with it. Maybe two of them. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 16
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    a Zoom-certified collaboration keyboard.
    A what?
    Alex_V
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 215member
    I’m reminded of when Dell announced their first 5K monitor. A plastic-fantastic thing, you could pre-order it for $2000 for delivery one month later. The next week Apple announced the same monitor in an all-aluminium housing with motherboard, fusion drive, wireless keyboard and mouse, plus operating system and software… they called it an “iMac,” for the princely sum of $1999, available in stock. 

Speculation: the component 6K monitor inside this Dell, that is likely manufactured by LG or Samsung or whoever, is also destined for the next iMac. It’ll be tailored to Apple’s specifications. If so, Apple’s sales of the unit will far outsell Dell’s (I’ve never seen the Dell 5K in the wild), it won’t even be close. As a favoured customer, Apple gets far better component prices and is able to include it in an iMac at a keen price. Therefore, I’m guessing that the new iMac will use this monitor and cost $3,200 – $3500, 
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 215member
    … and it’ll be launched imminently.