You wont be able to get Facebook Messenger on Apple Watch soon

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2023
Another major app is dropping full support for the Apple Watch, with Facebook now alerting users that Facebook Messenger will no longer be available as an Apple Watch app.

Apple Watch
Apple Watch

Apple Watch has seen many developers drop support for the flagship wearable over the years. A number of high-profile app makers, including Google Maps, Amazon, eBay, Slack, and Target have chosen to pull their standalone Apple Watch apps.

Now, Facebook Messenger is doing the same.

Reddit user dark_arcader received a notification that Facebook would no longer offer a standalone Apple Watch app for its Facebook Messenger app. The notification reads:

"After May 31st, Messenger won't be available as an Apple Watch app, but you can still get Messenger notifications on your watch."

Some Redditors in the thread bemoaned the decision. Others pointed out that it was likely done to cut expenses and save resources in development.

In 2019, Pokemon Go dropped Apple Watch support ahead of watchOS 6, stating the decision was because of the launch of Adventure Sync in October 2018.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Apple needs to fix this ASAP, basically all major apps have dropped out.

And fix WhatsApp on the iPad as well, the only reason all elders on my family use android tablets is because of WhatsApp, the cellular iPad, should be able to make calls and have a number associated with it.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Just another reason to not use Facebook Messanger.  In fact, just another good reason to get away from Facebook altogether!!!
    SpitbathDooofuswatto_cobraCluntBaby92aaplfanboyappleinsideruserradarthekatpulseimages
  • Reply 3 of 16
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member

And fix WhatsApp on the iPad as well, the only reason all elders on my family use android tablets is because of WhatsApp, the cellular iPad, should be able to make calls and have a number associated with it.
    I don’t understand. What exactly Apple needs to fix?

As for the WhatsApp on iPad - isn’t it a WhatsApp choice that they don’t allow to verify iPad app using the phone (SMS is sent to the phone, and you enter the code on the iPad, confirming that you have access to the phone number). It works this way with another popular messaging/call app - Viber. Herr, think of Skype - it works on iPhone and iPad. Why can’t WhatsApp do the same?
    williamlondonwatto_cobraCluntBaby92kitatitradarthekatpulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 16
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    ...but you can still get Messenger notifications on your watch."

Eh. This is about all I care for. Not need, not want. I don't "need" anything from FB, and it is a constant battle to convince myself to dump it. There's entertainment value in it, but it comes at a price. 
    watto_cobraCluntBaby92radarthekat
  • Reply 5 of 16
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    You mean that hack magnet? Half the messages I get are bogus. Avoid it. 
    mattinozwatto_cobraCluntBaby92pulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 16
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Why does anyone install  messenger on any device?  

If someone messages me on Facebook then I log into the web app on my computer to reply.  I don’t message people using messenger.  I tell anyone I need to talk to regularly to just text me or use Apple Messages if they are Apple users.   
    Dooofuswatto_cobramontrosemacs
  • Reply 7 of 16
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    JP234 said:
    If you like FB, fine. But who wants to message anything on the watch? Don't we have iPhones, iPads and Macs for that? Ever try typing a password on your watch?
    I agree though I have occasionally needed to use Messages (not FB Messenger) and type a reply on the watch when it was not convenient to get my phone out — like up on a scaffold or something and no easy access to pants pocket.  

But I agree.  Typing anything substantive on the watch is a chore.  
    JP234watto_cobraCluntBaby92radarthekat
  • Reply 8 of 16
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,847member

Cesar are you in the EU? If so, be prepared for your regional Apple device made for the EU countries.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 16
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member

1. No, they really do not. Nobody uses apps on the Watch other than a couple that were put there by Apple.

What Apple “needs” to do is replace apps with a focus on what they once called Glances, and now could enhance that into Live Activities: Watches are for glancing at briefly to get important info, not for standing in the middle of the passageway gawking at your wrist like a zombie (aka typical smartphone user behaviour).

2. WhatsApp doesn’t have a native app on Android tablets either. They’re using the web browser version or a blown-up phone version. I’m sorry your elders are unaware that iPads are VASTLY superior for native apps. IPads don’t have telephony built in either, but they at least relay from the iPhone, and frankly FaceTime audio or video calls are better anyway.
    edited May 2023 watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 16
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member

Nothing to fix. As long as they still have notifications and I can send a quick response like OK then it's fine.

Who wants to type on their watch. Not me.
    edited May 2023 watto_cobradewmewilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I tried using different versions of Apple Watch many, many times. Every time the novelty wore off after a few weeks and it became more a charging / software update hassle that wasnt even worth dealing with. Set up is slow and terrible. The app to manage watch is terrible. Lots of unexpected limitations and unusual behaviors such as difficulty trying to play music from Apple watch so as not to interfere with making videos on my phone at the same time. Many of the features just felt more like nagging / intrusions than helpful. Very little utility considering my phone is always within reach anyways. Not to mention, the watch just looks dorky. They addressed that as best they could with the ultra but… what I’d like to see is a minimal Apple heart/activity/sleep tracker. Something that ONLY does what my phone can’t do. Doesn’t even really need a screen TBH. Anyways given all of the above it’s no wonder the watch isn’t worth developing for. 
  • Reply 12 of 16
    chadbag said:
    JP234 said:
    If you like FB, fine. But who wants to message anything on the watch? Don't we have iPhones, iPads and Macs for that? Ever try typing a password on your watch?
    I agree though I have occasionally needed to use Messages (not FB Messenger) and type a reply on the watch when it was not convenient to get my phone out — like up on a scaffold or something and no easy access to pants pocket.  

But I agree.  Typing anything substantive on the watch is a chore.  
    Type on a watch? Good grief. Try Voice-to-Text, it works really well for me :-) 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 13 of 16
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I tried using different versions of Apple Watch many, many times. Every time the novelty wore off after a few weeks and it became more a charging / software update hassle that wasnt even worth dealing with. Set up is slow and terrible. The app to manage watch is terrible. Lots of unexpected limitations and unusual behaviors such as difficulty trying to play music from Apple watch so as not to interfere with making videos on my phone at the same time. Many of the features just felt more like nagging / intrusions than helpful. Very little utility considering my phone is always within reach anyways. Not to mention, the watch just looks dorky. They addressed that as best they could with the ultra but… what I’d like to see is a minimal Apple heart/activity/sleep tracker. Something that ONLY does what my phone can’t do. Doesn’t even really need a screen TBH. Anyways given all of the above it’s no wonder the watch isn’t worth developing for. 
    You're wearing it wrong. 
    JP234
  • Reply 14 of 16
    diz_geekdiz_geek Posts: 57member
    This is too bad. My running buddies still use Messenger to organize meet ups and when we go running, my iPhone stays at home.  Having the Messenger app on AppleWatch was good for quick little notes like “running a few minutes late - be there shortly”. Was it good for every day use?  Absolutely not. But it does have its time and place uses. 
  • Reply 15 of 16
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    jbdragon said:
    Just another reason to not use Facebook Messanger.  In fact, just another good reason to get away from Facebook altogether!!!
    Your dislike or petition to move away from Messenger is irrelevant. It is a very popular app and now no longer available on the watch. 
    This makes the watch less and less usable as a standalone device.
    williamlondonbeowulfschmidt