Father of modern VR says that Apple's headset is 'so good'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited May 2023
Apple's mixed-reality headset has apparently received the seal of approval from one VR luminary, with Oculus founder Palmer Lucky saying it is "so good."

A render of a potential Apple headset [AppleInsider]
A render of a potential Apple headset [AppleInsider]

The Apple VR and AR headset has been long-rumored to be a high-quality take on the concept, with barely a hint of anyone outside of the company having actually tried it out. In a brief tweet, it seems one major name in the VR field may have seen or tried the device.

Oculus founder Palmer Luckey posted on Sunday a single sentence on the matter: "The Apple headset is so good." While definitive in its brevity, Luckey doesn't expand on the statement in replies or follow-up tweets at all.

The lack of extra detail and the brief message itself doesn't necessarily mean that Luckey actually got hands-on time with the headset, nor does it confirm he was directly informed or saw the capabilities of the headset. However, his previous history in the field gives his words gravitas.

As the founder of Oculus, Luckey had a hand in forming the current state of VR headset technology, before the company was bought by Facebook in 2014. During his time at Facebook, now Meta, Luckey said Oculus wouldn't introduce Mac support for its Rift headset until it released a "good computer" that prioritized high-end GPUs.

He departed the social network in 2017 and ceased involvement with Oculus, before launching the defense technology company Andruil Industries.

The Apple headset is so good.

-- Palmer Luckey (@PalmerLuckey)

It may not be long before Apple reveals what the actual headset will look like or do, since it is anticipated to be the main focus of WWDC 2023 this June.

The headset, expected to cost some $3,000 when it ships in the fall, will go down the route of the "ski goggle" style, complete with high-resolution 8K displays for each eye, and a selection of internal and external cameras and sensors to support hand and eye tracking, as well as some AR features.

Its capabilities will apparently include supporting a vast array of iPad apps, with Apple working on custom VR versions of its own tools and apps.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 2 of 21
    tobiantobian Posts: 148member
    I won't even try out this so good future product. I'm sure it will be amazing. I just have an exact idea, where to -live life for my own- ends and where -having my life being lived- begins. iPhone is a borderline technology already, just look at the people around you. Still I wish you all to have a great time and superb entertainment with it.
    rezwitsOferJanNLjeffharrisauxiowilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 21
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    The one worth hundreds of millions of dollars?    Yes, that is the one 
    CluntBaby92napoleon_phoneapartwatto_cobrasphericbyronl9secondkox2
  • Reply 4 of 21
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member

Was that an actual Time cover image? You have to wonder how that passed. Were they laughing at him?
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Cover is almost 8 years old and VR is still about to change the world.... but hasn't yet. 

I mean did oculus selling out to Meta-Frace derail the plan or was the tech over-hyped before it could deliver?
    jeffharriswatto_cobrawelshdogbyronl9secondkox2
  • Reply 6 of 21
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    tobian said:
    I won't even try out this so good future product. I'm sure it will be amazing. I just have an exact idea, where to -live life for my own- ends and where -having my life being lived- begins. iPhone is a borderline technology already, just look at the people around you. Still I wish you all to have a great time and superb entertainment with it.
    VR is the best exercise equipment ever.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Didn't you say 4K displays last time?
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 8 of 21
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Show me a great product I didn’t know I needed that does something i didn’t know I wanted or needed to do and I’ll do everything I can to buy one.  
    sphericJanNLwatto_cobrabyronlh4y3s
  • Reply 9 of 21
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 777member
    Jeeze, it’s bad enough sitting around staring at various monitors all day trying to make a living. 
    Strapping on something like these video snorkeling masks would drive me insane.

Talk about claustrophobia!
    watto_cobrawilliamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 10 of 21
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Jeeze, it’s bad enough sitting around staring at various monitors all day trying to make a living. 

Times change, but not all people change with them.
    williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    tobian said:
    Agreed. It feels like so many people are half in and half out of reality most of the time because their minds have been conditioned to be partially-to-completely fixated on what's happening on their mobile devices at any given time. I get the ADHD appeal and the desire to be occupied with something rather than feeling alone (always a message to be checked or something people you know have posted), but it really becomes a barrier for people to even have simple interactions with each other. Loss of the art of conversation and human connection.

VR is different though in that it'll likely only become a replacement/augmentation for home entertainment devices, where you're already doing an isolated activity. Though AR certainly has the potential to cause the problem to get worse, especially once it becomes integrated into regular glasses and contact lenses.
    byronlwatto_cobrah4y3stobian
  • Reply 12 of 21
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    …but ours is better??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    This is still a RUMOR.  Don't believe anything until Apple announces it. If Apple is going to try and sell it at $3K, it's going to be a failure.   Yes, some people will pay for that, but most won't.  If you don't have enough people buying it, it's going to fail.  You need high enough numbers for developers to make games for it.  Few games to no games, bye, bye!!!  I think it'll have a hard time selling at $500.  First gen product is another wait and see also for many.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    jbdragon said:
    This is still a RUMOR.  Don't believe anything until Apple announces it. If Apple is going to try and sell it at $3K, it's going to be a failure.   Yes, some people will pay for that, but most won't.  If you don't have enough people buying it, it's going to fail.  You need high enough numbers for developers to make games for it.  Few games to no games, bye, bye!!!  I think it'll have a hard time selling at $500.  First gen product is another wait and see also for many.
    It's fairly obvious that at a $3k price point the device is a field beta with a buy-in. It's not for you or for me, it's for people with money and irrational desires to be first all the time. Which works fine for Apple - they'll get s little income to offset part of the costs and will get invaluable data back from all the beta testers who shelled out the bux. It's not going to "fail" because this is not the final product.
    byronltmaylolliverwatto_cobraradarthekath4y3s
  • Reply 15 of 21
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,664member
    Literally everyone expects Apples attempt any anything to be “so good.” That’s not in question. What is in question is the desirability of the concept itself. Headsets suck. Nobody wants to be that guy on the Time cover. And pass through visuals aren’t going to change that. It will be a cool experience, but not a must-have. And not an “iPhone moment.”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    mattbookairmattbookair Posts: 172member
    welshdog said:
    jbdragon said:
    It's fairly obvious that at a $3k price point the device is a field beta with a buy-in. It's not for you or for me, it's for people with money and irrational desires to be first all the time. Which works fine for Apple - they'll get s little income to offset part of the costs and will get invaluable data back from all the beta testers who shelled out the bux. It's not going to "fail" because this is not the final product.
    It’s almost certainly for developers. I doubt we’ll see a “for the main stream” device for about a year. You know, once there’s some actually 3rd party Apps.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 206member
    The best ski goggle we ever created. Sure.  No thanks. Let’s try connecting to real people again. Highly recommended. 
  • Reply 18 of 21
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member

Do you get claustrophobic when you put on a hat?  The point of the screens is to immerse you, and potentially make you feel like you're in a very different place.  VR environments don't tend to put you in a box, they put you in wide open places, where the effect should be the opposite of claustrophobic.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    He may be worth hundreds of millions, he still looks like a douchenozzle.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    The Macalope says “no one” will buy the Apple headset.
     :D  :*