iPhone 15 Pro Max rumored to be only model that gets new periscope lens tech

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
The iPhone 15 Pro Max will be the first and only model with the periscope lens in 2023, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

iPhone 14 Pro Max camera
iPhone 14 Pro Max camera

On Monday, Ming-Chi Kuo offered various claims about the first-generation Apple VR and AR headset, with a camera module producer indicated to benefit greatly from the product. In a follow-up Tuesday post about Cowell, Kuo also offered a detail about the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

The Medium post talks about the iPhone 16 Pro and Pro Max periscope cameras, but also mentions the iPhone 15 Pro Max will be the only one to sport the feature in the generation.

The comment seemingly goes along with another leaker's claims on May 8, that the periscope lens will be exclusive to the Pro Max model.

Periscope lenses use a prism and a series of lenses to increase the optical zoom capabilities of a device, without greatly impacting the thickness. By angling light 90 degrees, the camera can provide better zoom levels without making an iPhone thicker, for example.

On the iPhone 16 Pro, Kuo says the display size will be slightly larger than the 6.1-inch iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro models, increasing internal space and allowing a periscope camera to be included in both the iPhone 16 Pro and Pro Max. This was previously raised by another analyst on May 9, who thought that the new screens could be 6.2 inches and 6.8 inches for the Pro and Max respectively.

Two headset models for Gen 2

Kuo also touches upon the mixed-reality headset again, but a future second-generation model that is anticipated to go into mass production in 2025. Two versions are touted, with high-end and more affordable low-end versions expected to be produced.

There is a belief the second-generation models will be considerably more popular than the first, with shipments expected to be "around ten times" that of the first in 2023.

Talk of multiple headsets has surfaced in the past, with Apple already thought to be working on the second-gen models before the first's release.

Cowell gains

While details about products are mentioned, Kuo's post is largely about compact camera module supplier Cowell, and expected increases in revenue for the company.

Kuo discusses how Sharp will likely leave the CCM supply chain for the iPhone 16, which will boost Cowell's shipments, and that Cowell will likely be a CCM supplier for the periscope camera in the iPhone 16.

Cowell will also be a big supplier for CCMs in the second-gen headsets, Kuo thinks, with an expected supply ratio of "at least 70-80%."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    SkepticalSkeptical Posts: 183member
    I’m in the wrong business. I should be in the “make shit up and call it a rumor” biz and Apple Insider will report it. 
    edited May 2023 damn_its_hot
  • Reply 2 of 12
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    I really hate it when Apple makes features for just the Max sized phone.  I don't care about the price, I just don't want to carry a phone that big. I'm due for an upgrade and I'd love to see this feature in the regular iPhone 15 pro. 
    Scot1ramanpfaffmobirdbluefire1
  • Reply 3 of 12
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    techconc said:
    I really hate it when Apple makes features for just the Max sized phone.  I don't care about the price, I just don't want to carry a phone that big. I'm due for an upgrade and I'd love to see this feature in the regular iPhone 15 pro. 

First world problems much?
    edited May 2023 napoleon_phoneapartdamn_its_hot
  • Reply 4 of 12
    seankill said:
    techconc said:
    Do you mean first world problems?
    First work problems much?

• Reply 5 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    techconc said:
    It’s likely a space thing, not a conspiracy. When they used to this w/ the image stabilization camera it rolled out on the bigger phone first, and eventually they got it into the smaller devices. These devices don’t step out of a clamshell full formed, they take engineering and knowledge and experience. 
    damn_its_hotradarthekat
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ramanpfafframanpfaff Posts: 132member
    Apple really needs to add Semi Pro to it's lineup. A Pro without the following features... Periscope Lens. 

I just can't buy a phone that is as large as a tablet. 
    damn_its_hot
  • Reply 7 of 12
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    Agreed with many of you - periscope needs to be on both Pro’s. Would be a great disappointment because I just can’t stand the phablet size. I have the Mini and love it’s form factor - but I’ve discovered that it is a bit too small for a bunch of apps/sites that don’t optimize for it (buttons missing of juuuust off screen). The Max is just too large. Dealbreaker.
    mobird
  • Reply 8 of 12
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Apple really needs to add Semi Pro to it's lineup. A Pro without the following features... Periscope Lens. 

This is an odd comment for an article about the smaller pro phone NOT getting the periscope lens…
    napoleon_phoneapart
  • Reply 9 of 12
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    techconc said:
    It’s likely a space thing, not a conspiracy. When they used to this w/ the image stabilization camera it rolled out on the bigger phone first, and eventually they got it into the smaller devices. These devices don’t step out of a clamshell full formed, they take engineering and knowledge and experience. 
    There is another possibility. It’s possible that with a new technology Apple can’t be sure that they can ramp up production for the 100gazillion new components they need for the whole pro line. 

If they start on only half the pro models and there is a hang up in production of the new cameras at least they have the other pro line to sell while they get production up to snuff. 

No other company has to consider ramping up from 0 to 10s of millions like Apple does. Just imagine how people would be calling for Tim’s head if the whole Pro line was massively constrained because of unforeseen periscope ramp issues—or if they had to push the Pro line release to December. 

I can’t say that if this is a factor in this decision, the fact that it might push some people to consider the more expensive model wouldn’t also be seen as a plus…
    damn_its_hotmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 12
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Yuck!  I suppose you would have a miniPro & a semiPro also… This would also allow you to a whole new level of minor phones … /s
  • Reply 11 of 12
    petripetri Posts: 118member
    This will just confirm I’m not upgrading this year.  You couldn’t pay me to lug a Max sized phone around, and I’m not going to pay the “pro” price for a second rate camera.  My 13 pro will keep gong another year until they perfect the technology and get it in the standard size too.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    petri said:
    This will just confirm I’m not upgrading this year.  You couldn’t pay me to lug a Max sized phone around, and I’m not going to pay the “pro” price for a second rate camera.  My 13 pro will keep gong another year until they perfect the technology and get it in the standard size too.
    No one is asking you to lug anything. What’s the point in announcing what you’re not going to do?