Rick Santorum

enaena
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In an recent article, Rick Santorum (U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania) was quoted saying,_"If the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual [gay] sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery. You have the right to anything."

He is being called on by the Democratic leadership to resign and is "under fire" by gay-rights activists.

Three questions:

[list=1][*]Is this news---or is it the media caressing an agenda?[*]Can somebody point out the flaws in his logic?[*]Why can't he have speak his mind without this new puritanism crucifying him?[/list=1]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 274
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    1. What do you think?

2. I can't.

3. He's a Republican.

I can't see where he made some statement that equated homosexuality with those other things. He simply said, from what I take from it, that "if you say this, you say that...".

I didn't take some bashing, "homophobic" tone from it. But I'll guarantee you that it'll all play out as if there was.

And he'll be gone within 3 weeks.

• Reply 2 of 274
    to be clear, they want him to resign his post as chaiman of the senate republican conference, not his senate seat. and it's not just democrats banging on him, it's the log cabin's as well.
  • Reply 3 of 274
    As the noted social critic Ice Cube so succinctly stated it, "Big Dicks in the Ass is bad fo yo health."
  • Reply 4 of 274
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

to be clear, they want him to resign his post as chaiman of the senate republican conference, not his senate seat. and it's not just democrats banging on him, it's the log cabin's as well.

I understand. They're not out for his job completely (not at this point). But still...

Just seems that this story will have "legs" because of certain factors that we're all aware of.

Meanwhile, why do I get the feeling that the writers of "Will & Grace" are hammering out a script based on this, as we speak?

• Reply 5 of 274
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    What's wrong with sodomy, bigamy, and polygamy?
  • Reply 6 of 274
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I understand. They're not out for his job completely (not at this point). But still...

Just seems that this story will have "legs" because of certain factors that we're all aware of.

Meanwhile, why do I get the feeling that the writers of "Will & Grace" are hammering out a script based on this, as we speak?

actually there is a great deal of thought that this will do his career good.
  • Reply 7 of 274
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rick Santorum

"If the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual [gay] sex within your home.... You have the right to anything."

I can't believe that even the collective conservative intelligence here can't see the fallicy of this statement.

'If the Supreme Court says you can cook Key Lime Pie in your home, you can murder your neighbors.'

I might be missing something, but I think this guy's statement was just moronic. How is he not equating gay sex and incest?
  • Reply 8 of 274
    enaena Posts: 667member
    The thing that bothers me is that the gay issue has been declared off-limits culturally---that it is gospel that homosexual sex is "good" or "ethical".

What really bothers me is that anyone who questions these "facts" about homosexuality is branded for hate speech or called worse. There is an implicit cultural standard being set here and people are being punished for thinking critically about it.

Not good.

When Christians and Muslims do it it is called intolerance and bigotry.
  • Reply 9 of 274
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

How is he not equating gay sex and incest?

Simple. Combine 1 part senator with 52 parts IDIOT.
  • Reply 10 of 274
    Quote:

Some Republican sources are quietly raising questions about the reporter who first quoted Santorum and who is continuing to report on the conflict it created._Her name is Lara Jakes Jordan. She is married to Jim Jordan,_a former DSCC official who now manages (John) Kerry's campaign.

If a prominent Democrat - Pelosi, Daschle, etc. - said something that could be seen as inflammatory, divisive, etc. and you guys found out that the person conducting the interview was the wife of Steve Forbes or Newt Gingrich or some other prominent right-winger, you'd cast a suspicious eye as well.

Let's just see how this pans out. Makes me wonder, especially in light of the above. She's obviously not a detached, know-nothing player.
  • Reply 11 of 274
    Quote:

I can't believe that even the collective conservative intelligence here can't see the fallicy of this statement.

'If the Supreme Court says you can cook Key Lime Pie in your home, you can murder your neighbors.'

I might be missing something, but I think this guy's statement was just moronic. How is he not equating gay sex and incest?

This flaming isn't going to help this thread bunge, you should simmer down and come back when you can stay on topic.

Seriously.

Please make your points without calling people names.

PLEASE
  • Reply 12 of 274
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

This flaming isn't going to help this thread bunge, you should simmer down and come back when you can stay on topic.

Seriously.

Please make your points without calling people names.

PLEASE

The statement is moronic. Bunge wasn't flaming anyone. You want a flame? YOU ARE A MORON FOR WHINING ABOUT NON-EXISTANT FLAMES.

Now, back on topic.

I ask again: What is wrong with sodomy, bigamy, and polygamy?
  • Reply 13 of 274
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Simple. Combine 1 part senator with 52 parts IDIOT.

Gay sexual relations are widely practiced and can be as non-destructive as hetero relations. Since much of western culture is based on freedom and tolerence this is accepted as moral. "Good" probably goes to far. One man's meat is another man's poison.*

Freedom to question is tolerance. Freedom to assert things while ignoring the evidence is not.

Barto

*Hehe... funny how phrases take on certain connotations when placed in a certain context.
  • Reply 14 of 274
    Quote:

How is he not equating gay sex and incest?

To answer a valid question:

Step back for a second and tell me, why, if two men can have sex, why can't they be brothers?
  • Reply 15 of 274
    i don't understand, he admits he said it, he stands behind what he said, and he's not apologizing.

at least he still has his balls, he should hang on to them tightly.

even though i disagree with him, i hope he doesn't cave, i am getting sick of cosmetic apologies.
  • Reply 16 of 274
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

The statement is moronic. Bunge wasn't flaming anyone. You want a flame? YOU ARE A MORON FOR WHINING ABOUT NON-EXISTANT FLAMES.

Now, back on topic.

I ask again: What is wrong with sodomy, bigamy, and polygamy?

You are doing no better BR, you're derailing this thread!
  • Reply 17 of 274
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

How is he not equating heterosexual sex and incest?

To answer a valid question:

Step back for a second and tell me, why, if a man and woman can have sex, why can't they be siblings?
  • Reply 18 of 274
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i don't understand, he admits he said it, he stands behind what he said, and he's not apologizing.

at least he still has his balls, he should hang on to them tightly.

even though i disagree with him, i hope he doesn't cave, i am getting sick of cosmetic apologies.

And I think that he's a Nosy Fvck? that needs to mind his own god damn business and stay out of the bedrooms of the American People?. Who the hell does he think he is trying to tell others what hole they aren't allowed to fill with their happy love meat?
  • Reply 19 of 274
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

You are doing no better BR, you're derailing this thread!

You will notice I stayed on topic in the end. YOU ARE DERAILING IT BY SAYING I'M DERAILING IT.

Now, back on topic:

I ask a third time: What is wrong with sodomy, bigamy, or polygamy? I will further add I believe that consenting adults should be allowed to perform any of these acts.
  • Reply 20 of 274
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

You will notice I stayed on topic in the end. YOU ARE DERAILING IT BY SAYING I'M DERAILING IT.

Now, back on topic:

I ask a third time: What is wrong with sodomy, bigamy, or polygamy? I will further add I believe that consenting adults should be allowed to perform any of these acts.

you forgot incest