If your Apple Watch has a tint after the watchOS 9.5 update, you're not alone

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple's watchOS 9.5 may have a bug that is causing some Apple Watches to have a gray or green tint to the display in specific areas, and there doesn't appear to be a fix yet.

Example of the coloration from Reddit user
Example of the coloration from Reddit user "Ninolacom"

Users on Reddit have started seeing a gray or green tint when accessing the Control Center and Notification Center on their Apple Watch after the most recent update. Some people are seeing it on the Apple Watch Series 8, Apple Watch Series 7, and Apple Watch SE, although it may appear on other models too.

"I see the grey you're seeing when I start to pull up, but as I keep pulling up, it darkens," one person said. "When Control Center is full screen, background is black.

Same with Notifications, but the grey background is brighter there, as I pull it down, but it also fades to black."

Another Reddit user mentioned that the gray background disappeared after they activated the Apple Watch sleep mode. Finally, a user on the Apple support forum reported encountering a green tint on a specific side of the display when scrolling down, even though the Apple Watch in question was brand new.

Based on user feedback, the unusual tint appears following the recent watchOS 9.5 update, indicating it is likely a software issue. For example, a similar occurrence happened with the iPhone 11 in which some people reported seeing a green tint on display.

Apple released the watchOS 9.5 update on May 18. People who haven't yet installed the update may want to hold off until Apple officially acknowledges the bug.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    I thought this was more of an accessibility issue myself, to make things clearer to see.  Cause I am only getting this on Swipe Up Control Center, Series 4, Series 6...

edit:  And the Lock Keypad Screen and Swipe Down... doh
    edited May 2023
  • Reply 2 of 8
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 138member
    Not seeing on Ultra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Not seeing it on my Series 7
  • Reply 4 of 8
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    According to the thread on MacRumors, it is not a bug; it is due to a slight transparency of the background and depending on your watch face, it shines through greenish.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bakerzdosenbakerzdosen Posts: 181member
    I'd be happy to have the tint issue if I could get the same battery life I had a week ago before upgrading...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    According to the thread on MacRumors, it is not a bug; it is due to a slight transparency of the background and depending on your watch face, it shines through greenish.
    that makes a sense, and should easily be verifiable by changing you watch face colour. I’ve fallen for this on other devices when the transparency shows through, thinking that something was wrong with part of the screen. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    TJJTJJ Posts: 14member
    I haven’t updated yet but does anyone know if it affects the Ultra?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    So, just confirming that this indeed is a new transparency effect in the control centre pull up background. Depending on your watch face background, you’ll see slightly different tints (around 5%) of colour showing through. So not a bug, or anything to worry about.