Apple adds 'realityproOS' to list of potential VR headset trademarks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
More trademark filings related to Apple's mixed-reality headset have surfaced, with realityproOS' joining a growing list of terms for the inbound VR-AR ecosystem.

A render of a potential Apple headset [AppleInsider]
A render of a potential Apple headset [AppleInsider]

Early on Monday, trademark filings were found for "xrProOS" registered by a potential Apple shell company. Within hours, even more terms have been discovered that may be for the Apple VR headset and software.

Spotted by patent attorney Narly Kalupahana, Immersive Health Solutions LLC made a filing in New Zealand on Monday, trying to claim the trademark "realityproOS." Immersive Health Solutions is thought to be an Apple shell company that had previously filed for the similar terms "Reality One," "Reality Pro," and "Reality Processor."

Just as with the "xrProOS" filing, the latest discovery is also showing a prior registration in Jamaica, as of May 1. Jamaica is often used to keep trademarks secret, since it lacks a searchable online filing database.

In another discovery, "realOS" was previously registered in Europe in 2022 by Realityo Systems LLC, but the firm has since made filings in other countries for the "realOS" term.

Again, Realityo Systems is thought to be an Apple shell company, used for registering trademarks. It was more famously used for the trademark filing for "realityOS" in 2022.

It seems that Apple is using multiple trademarks for a few reasons. As it has done before, it is doing so now so it has multiple choices to actually use for its inbound headset and related ecosystem while also protecting the terms from use by others.

As a byproduct of all of the filings, it also makes things difficult for anyone to know what the headset and operating system could be called before its actual introduction by the company.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Apple should be able to take a good share of this small market segment if they tout their normal respect for user privacy, and help enforce privacy rules on any apps that are sold on the Reality Pro App Store. And if they can make their device compatible with users who wear glasses, it could even be a profitable product line. But it won't sell 40 million units per year like the Apple Watch does.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Why does this sight keep using a render of snorkelling goggles to show “a render of potiential Apple headset?” This was the first image ever posted about the upcoming headset, years ago and it is ridiculous. If apple releases a headset like this, fish everywhere will be using VR!
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 7
    These recent trademarks really roll off the tongue quite eloquently. Definitely not too many syllables. Doesn't sound ridiculous at all. /s
    edited May 2023 watto_cobranubuswilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Synapcis said:
    Why does this sight keep using a render of snorkelling goggles to show “a render of potiential Apple headset?” This was the first image ever posted about the upcoming headset, years ago and it is ridiculous. If apple releases a headset like this, fish everywhere will be using VR!
    I agree…this render is almost a meme by now. But it’s not just here. Every article or blog post out there are using the same 1-2 images. Search “Augmented Reality” in Apple News, select the Top Result and scroll down to see what I mean. 
    edited May 2023 watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 7
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    The reason AI uses the render is because based on the scant information they have about it from leaks, this is a visualisation of what it COULD look like. Same as any other site. See also “Apple Car.” :)

New articles that don’t have some visualization/illustrations tend not to get read. Simple as that, really.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Japhey said:
    Synapcis said:
    I agree…this render is almost a meme by now. But it’s not just here. Every article or blog post out there are using the same 1-2 images. Search “Augmented Reality” in Apple News, select the Top Result and scroll down to see what I mean. 
    I think the render here was specifically commissioned by AppleInsider.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Japhey said:
    Synapcis said:
    I think the render here was specifically commissioned by AppleInsider.
    Cool. If so, they should be proud to see it all over the Internet then. At least until the announcement, that is. 
    williamlondon